1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Shot some top gun 1oz #8 @1290 this week end. did ok for me but i shot them with a IM barrel, would i have better off with a full choke?16yd targets.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Full for everything.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Were you smoking the targets or just chipping most of them?

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine that an IM choke wouldn't have produced ink spots at 16 yards with those shells, if you centered one.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

At 16 yards, the IM would work nearly the same as a Full, in most cases. It really depends on the gun, barrel, individual chokes, and load. Only way to know for sure is try them with both IM and Full chokes and then screw in a Mod. If the targets are dissapearing in a cloud of smoke, you got it right. If all you see is a bunch of large pieces, it's usually either that you aren't on them, or the choke is too open. I prefer the 1oz loads at 1180. Less recoil and they are sufficient for 16 yard targets.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Top gun 1 oz'rs are 1290??? Mine are 1180...must be two..

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I thank you for the help.the top guns were left overs from last years dove hunt.got them for ,i think, $4.69 a box so bought a case.thats why the 1290. the barrel is new to me. i don't have a full choke for it.every thing from cyl up to IM.wanted some help before i bought a new choke.yes the birds were in chunks not smoke.thanks again

tracy

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Well something isn't working right. Those shells should smoke the targets from the 16. An IM tube should be plenty tight - that is what I use for everything and it smokes em from the 27 if I do my part. If I had a full choke tube that gave better results I would use that.

You can go ahead and try the full choke but it sounds like the gun isn't quite centering the pattern on the target.

Some time at the patterning board would help clarify a couple of things. #1 Where is the center of the pattern in relation to where you are looking. Shoot this at about 15 yards or so. and #2 what does the pattern look like at about 30 yards? Any big holes in the core? Is there a dense core?

9. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

I think you will find they are Federal Game loads ( 1oz. 8's @ 1290fps) rather than Top Guns. They are a nice shell though and shoot very well.

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I like Top Gun 1 oz loads in 1175 pfs with a mod choke.

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

YODA 100 ,your probably right.I threw the box's in the trash can so i don't know for sure,but at the time of the year they were purchased,aug. they were probably game loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.