1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Top gun steel target loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

Our club finally got some shells that are less than 1325 fps.

These are standard target shells at 1145 fps with 1-1/8 oz of size 7 steel shot. Wad looks like the old STS wad from years ago - one piece 4 petals, harder plastic. Nothing special. Some at the club say the powder looks like Steel. Kind of dirty, but not bad.
  2. 3357

3357 Member

Does anybody know if Krieghoff, Kolar, Ljutic, Perrazi,Geuirinni(sp), Browning,
    et al have said factory steel shot target loads are OK or Not OK to use in their
    guns?

Just wondering if all our nice trap guns could become wall-hangers if steel shot ever becomes required for our sport.
  3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

The wads are made of tougher and thicker plastic than the usual lead wads. Also, there are chokes made for steel shot that you can purchase readily to be sure you don't get any stretch.

We've not noticed a problem at our club and you see plenty of the guns you've listed on a regular basis. My Remington 870 fixed full just keeps on hammering targets. I've shot thousands of steel rounds through that bbl. There are no issues to date.
  4. spitter

spitter Active Member

Krieghoff, if I recall, seemed most particular when it cames to steel and their chokes... For my KX-5, I think a 2+ was the tightest they recommended. Browning puts warnings on their Invector + chokes and indicated that steel would pattern "Full" with a #2 (IM)... but I never found that to come through on the patterning board...

In my Citori and BTs, I regularly use a Full #1, My 90T low rib is a fixed full and has no issues digesting steel... as Joe mentioned, we have guys and gals shooting all the premium firearm brands...

I cannot recall any new study data concerning current steel shot ammunition... patterning and/or impact on modern firearm chokes... IMO too much reliance on the OLD hunting data, which doesn't appear to hold up, using smaller shot, lighter weights and slower velocity recipes with modern components

Jay
  5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

All Browning Invector and Invector+ are good for steel shot. However Browning does not recommend using Full or Extra-Full.

My Carlson's Full Invector+ choke tube says I can run steel, lead, copper, and hevi-shot through it.

Wayne
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.