1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Gun Reload /

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosedowner, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I would like to reload top guns hulls this year for shooting 16's. Anyone have a nice soft shooting 1oz load they would like to share for these hulls. My plan is to load them once and then throw them away.

Thanks

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

No one really has their own recipes and if they did more than likely they will not share it for liability reasons. You are better off looking in the reloading manual for the powder you are using. Look for something around 1145 fps and you should have something that will suit your needs.

Bryan

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

17.7 grains of clays, fed 12s3,win 209

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have found 19 grains of Titewad with the SO12 or Claybusters clone and Cheddite primer to work very well, as well as being very economical.

I use this same formula with Walmart Federals, and Estate hulls, since they are basically all the same case.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

equal parts ww super handicap, Alliant Ultra lite, Alliant ClayDot, a little WW 231, and, some of that new fangled cowboy action stuff..

that's the sweepings off the floor..

1 oz? the 17-18 gr of ClayDot or Clays and a downrange wad XL-1 any ol' primer and AA or STS hulls...

of course, looking at the online reloading manuals will be best.

6. lostandout

lostandout Member

win 209 16.5 g 700x waa12sl wad 6700 psi 1150 i shoot 18.5 g 700x with waa12sl wad @1200 fps 9100 psi and it is a very soft shooting load

brian

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Goosedowner... I don't mind sharing my load for these hulls with you at all. I use a top gun hull, Cheddite primer, 17gr. Promo, a Downrange XL-1 1oz. wad, and 440gr. magnum 81/2's. I know, I know, there are lots of shooters out there that will say the XL-1 wad is designed for a tapered hull and not for a straight walled hull, but, let me tell you this: I have shot several 100's and a slew of 99's with this load and it performs just great. Soft recoiling, about 1150fps., and really smashes the targets. I have tried the straight walled wads in this load and they do NOT pattern as well as the XL-1's do, and I can really notice the difference when I shoot them. Probably a mental thing I suppose, but, real enough to me that I won't load the straight walled wads.

As a side note: I use ONLY Down Range XL blue 11/8oz. wads for my handicap loads shot with Estate hulls. Cheddite primer, 22gr.Green Dot, 495gr. magnum 71/2's, and an XL tapered wad. Soft shooting, fast, and crushes the targets from the fence with ease........ Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. lance howard

lance howard Member

Goosedowner; I to will share my recipe. As Dan Thome said, tapered wall wads work the best in the Top Gun, Wally World, Estate(my personal favorite) and a lot of euro trash hulls. I have been a very careful handloader for 38 years. Started in 1964 with 30-06 and a 20 gauge. I send my reloads to Tom Armbrust for pressure and velocity testing. Well worth the small cost. Loads as tested follow: Federal top gun, wally world, or Estate case, a primer (more later on that subject) DRTGT12 clone of Rem TGT12 wad. 450 grains of shot whatever you like. I use 8 most of the time and some 8 and reclaimed mix for junk practice shells . 17.5 700x Here are the results. My Oehler 35 chonograph and Mr Armbrusts are close enough for me. Pressures are fine.
    The load listed above with a Fiocci 616 primer; Average velocity 1165 pressure 5750psi, same load with Win 209 Average velocity 1157 pressure 6150psi, Noble 209 primer Average velocity 1152 pressure 5350. I do not have good results with Noble primers in the winter. Not consistent at all. I also sent the same loads with the DR12SO clone of the Fed 12so 1 oz wad and the velocities and pressures were lower and not as consistent. The Fiocci 616 primer only varied 6fps over the ten shells I chronographed. Mr Armbrust got even better results with a 4 fps vaiation. CRIMPS are critical to these results. I set mine as close to 55 thousands as I can keep them. Load all of these twice and say goodbye to the cases. My 1 0z Hornady 366 bushing filed out slightly throws the 450 grain shot weight and crimps beautiful. Standard bushing, not so pretty good. You HAVE to play with these until you find what works for you. PM me if you want Tom Armbrusts info to send your own to him for testing. I think it is worth it. I never worry about my reloads. I tried some loads with Cheddite primers but do not have the results back yet. Lance Howard

9. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Dan,

What is your average, shooting these undersize wads in the straight hulls? Can you offer any ideas why the mismatches seem to work, for you?

10. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Once you have come up with a recipr you like, find someone with a chronograph and "Chrono" your load. It's part of trying out recipes many people forget.

John S

11. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Right now I'm loading 17.5grs of 700X, cheddite primer and a 12SO wad. Later I'll try and make time to chronograph this load. As soon as the parts to my loader get here I'll load up a few using the recipe only using the XL-1 wad instead of the 12so and chrony those as well.

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"What is your average, shooting these undersize wads in the straight hulls? Can you offer any ideas why the mismatches seem to work, for you?"</i></blockquote>I was just wondering the same thing~

Keller

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"As Dan Thome said, tapered wall wads work the best in the Top Gun, Wally World, Estate(my personal favorite) and a lot of euro trash hulls."

Oh no! That will set the Wad Nazis in a frenzy. Expect them in your yard tonight with hoods and a burning cross.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

TRY 18 Grs Promo 1 oz 8s Jammer XL-1 wad or Federal 12SO wad 1200fps

I love that PROMO

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I get the most consistent results with the Federal 12S3. At $114.00 per case plus shipping from Gamaliel, I think they are worth the extra cost. Ron

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

For those that asked, my singles average over the last 3000 registered targets is right at .971%. I have been a consistant high A or mid AA singles shooter for about the past 20 years. This season, I'm really putting out the effort to try for high AA, or, if I'm good enough, low AAA. I did not say that my averages were high, or even insinuate same. All I said is that they work, and pattern, better for me than the straight walled wads do. Tapered wads are not, as scooterbum implied, undersized when compared to a straight walled hull. My results are based on what I see and experience when shooting. Have you ever tried the tapered wads in a Federal, or any straight walled hull? For those that asked, what are YOUR singles averages using the straight walled hulls, and is it the wads that make your average what it is, or is it your shooting skill? Even a B or C class shooter can tell the difference between a shell that works better for him than another one does.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"Tapered wads are not, as scooterbum implied, undersized when compared to a straight walled hull."

Certainly, you are mistaken. With a straight hull going 0.730" or better, I.D., and a tapered wad going 0.700", there is a definite discrepancy here.

Which organization do you shoot for, sir?

My averages are 0.94 singles with tapered hulls, tapered wads, and 0.93 caps with straight hulls, straight wads. HOWEVER, I have a current ailment that is keeping me from shooting top scores. No bullshit.

My straight hull, straight wad is an absolute hammer from the 27. Yes, top gun hull.

18. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

scooterbum.... What brand of wads are you using?

19. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

My apologies to goosedowner as this thread seems to have diverted a little. My recomendations for a soft 1 oz. load in a top gun (or estate) would be a gold medal load with a velocity of just over 1100 fps useing a faster burning powder.

As far as the tapered wad in a straight wall hull... both hulls are the same half way down the hull, so I wouldn't be too concerned about performance, however, if you use a fine grained powder, and the shells get jostled around a bit, it's very probably you would get some powder migration around the powder cup and into the cushioning section by useing a tapered wad in a straight hull. Is this a bad thing? I can't say, but I do prefer all my powder stay trapped behind the powder cup.

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Claybuster S3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

top gun reload it