1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Gun Reload Data Needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JesseB, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesseB

JesseB TS Member

Anyone have a safe reload for the Federal Top Gun shells using Winchester 209 primers, one oz of shot, and Clays powder? Was unable to locate any factory reload data. Thanks for your help. JesseB from Lincoln, CA

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Go to the Alliant Powder or Hogdon sites...plenty of loads...they will say use the Federal gold Medal data since it is basically the same hull.

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I reloaded both Top Gun and Estates using 18.4 gr. of Clays and Clay Dot, Fiochhi primers, Downranges DR-XXL (hunter orange) and 1 oz. of good reclaimed shot. This load should give you about 1180 fps.
    I did quit doing these loads because I did not like the Downrange wads, I talked to Kevin at the factory and he told me I needed the finish crip about as deep as the thickness of a dime but I have way to many other type of hulls and did not want to make adjustments to my MEC loader just for these reloads.
    I only use Downrange wads for all my other loads, but those XXL just weren't working for me.
    Claybusters makes a wad that may work with these hulls, but as I said I have thousands of STS, AA, Gun Club, and Rem. Sport, so I decided to stick with them.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Use Federal components!

I've reloaded thousands without any problems whatsoever.

Curt

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

16-19 gr Clays, 12SO or Clone wad, and you are good to go. I load 19 gr Claydot, and get great breaks. This is an energetic load. 16 gr will work off the 16 yard line and the first shot of Dubs.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Federal 12S0 wad (or clone), Federal 209A primer, 1oz of shot, 18-18.5 grains of Clays. That will get you a little bit over 1200 fps and functions quite well in a few 1100's I've tried them in. You can step it up just a little bit, since the Winchester primer will drop the velocity a little. 18.5 should work pretty well and get you just over 1200. Be sure to verify any load with the component manufacturers. In this case, look at the Hodgdon website.

Shooting Coach has it about right, but I didn't get good results with less than about 17.5 grains. Claydot will work about as well.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Quack shot is about right with light powder charges behind light shot loads. SPEED KILLS. I like over 1300 for 24 gram/7/8 oz, over 1250 for 28 gram/1 oz, and 1250 for 32 gram/1 1/8 oz.

I only shoot the heavy 1 1/8 oz load at the 27. I prefer Solo 1250, but also use Unique. I call that load "27". LOL

8. rayman

rayman Member

Shooting Coach,

How many grains of Unique do you use and what components ?

Ray

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that MEC told a previous poster that the steel "brass" creates additional wear on the sizing die. I had trouble with the wad catching the top of the plastic hull too. The plastic is so rigid that the wad guide doesn't spread the hull enough to let the wad slip in. Too many hassels. Maybe they load easier on a Spolar, Dillon, or other loaders.

10. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Love the hull, easy to find and ease to load, on my RCBS. 18.3 grs. Clays/RexI, F616/Win209 Primer, WJ II wad with 1 oz shot 1225 fps and feel soft.

Look under rolled paper base wad on Alliant site with claydot, very simular to clays. BRG II

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Setterman,

It sounds like you may have something out of adjustment. I have no trouble on several MEC presses and I have not made any special adjustments. If your wad guide isn't in the right position, it can cause something like you have experienced.

One more thing about these hulls. I don't load them more than twice. Two reasons for this. One, the primer pocket seems to enlarge after the first loading, so I use an oversized primer for the second, like the RIO 600 or Nobel Sport. The reason is that the base wad is paper and will not retain it's shape like plastic. The other issue has been the tendency for the tube to pull out of the case head. It has happened to me a few times, even with a factory shell. The tube seems to loosen as the base wad deteriorates. I always inspect the hulls' interior with a light to be sure the base wads have not swelled from getting wet, and that there isn't something in there staring back at me.

My favorite load in these hulls are as follows. 1oz of shot, Federal 12S0 wad (or clone), Federal 209A primer, 18.2 grs of Promo or Red Dot. That gives a nice soft 1200 fps. For 1 1/8 oz, I use the Federal 12S3 wad (or clone) and step the powder up to 18.7 for the same velocity. My significant Other will shoot these loads and complain LOUDLY if I try to give her anything else. She has managed to shoot quite well in a short period of time with these loads and the breaks are fantastic. They pattern well out of anything I have tried them in. For a hesvier load with 1 1/8 oz of shot, I use 23.5 grains of Universal Clays with the 12S3 wad and Federal 209A primer. It develops just about 1250 fps and isn't that harsh for a heavy load. It patterns quite well. The best clone of the 12S3 has been the Downrange copy. The Claybusters come in a close second. Unfortunately, Downrange does not yet make a clone of the 12S0. They have that XXL oddball that is claimed to be the equivalent, but I have had inconsistent results with them.

12. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

17.8 grains of Rex 1, CB6100 wad and cheddite primer. 7/8oz. shot. Top gun or Estate hull. 1250fps and very light recoil. Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best top gun reload