1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top gun hulls for reloading

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I need your help revisiting this topic! To save a lot of silly questions or "help", all I am asking has anyone had a problem with the primers being loose on these hulls for the first time reload!? I have several thousand once fired hulls shot in my own gun. I am using Fed primers, Fed wads with 1 1/8 shot and 18.5 Solo powder. It is obvious the case capacity on these hulls is not as great as the Gold Medals. When I say loose, I mean loose! In my last flat,(just finished) I had 3 that the primer did not stay seated for the index on my 9000G, and I had one that fell out of the shell when finished and kicked out on the bench! I then tried a STS primer and a Cheddite on one of these problem hulls and those were also very loose! Again, has anyone had this problem?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

were they first time reloaded ,i have had the same problem but i think a odd one was a reoaded hull ,i use win.209's ,not off shore ones....vdt

3. tcr1146

First time reloaded! On these loose ones, I could shove the original primer in with thumb and pick out with thumbnail! Tom Rhoads

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

tcr1146

I have had a different problem with the Federal steel cased hulls. I use a MEC Grabber and the primers on some of these hulls were difficult to remove. It was like they had been welded into the head. Once the old primer was removed, the new Federal 209A primers seated nice and tight with average effort.

The primers in the Federal steel headed hulls look to me to be a little different than the regular F209A. They may have the same priming compound but they have a shiny cover over the primer cup and the replacement F209A's have a brass cover.

It could be that some of the primers that Federal uses in their steel cased shells vary in size which could cause your enlarged primer cavity.

At any rate, I have purchased four flats (1000 total shells) of new Gold Medal plastic shells with brass heads. I plan to load these 5 times and pitch them. I do not plan to reload any more steel headed hulls.

I use a STS hull, Alliant E3 powder, Remington 209P primer and TGT12 wad for my 1 oz. 16 yard load.

I plan to use the Gold Medal Plastic hull, Alliant Green Dot powder, Federal F209A primer and Federal 12S3 wad for my 1 1/8 oz. handicap load.

I am not very bright some days. In this way, I can pick up a green shell and know that it is a 1oz. load of 8’s and a brick red shell and know that it is 11/8 oz. of 7 ½’s.

5. Popgun

Popgun TS Member

Hi Tom you old man

If you are having a lot of trouble I would try Fiocchi's.I have used a lot of them amd had no trouble.

Bob Smith 12 pound chucker

PS might be grass in the chamber LOL

6. tcr1146

Hi Bob! I tried both Rem and Cheddites and even the spent primers that came out of these and they all were loose! I did not try the Fiocchis but will! How is your game and have you shot at all this winter?! Tom Rhoads

7. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Rhoads what the heck are you crying about now? If your primers are falling out all you need to do is place a small piece of electrical tape across the back of each shell! Hell if you got all your money tied up in guns and can't afford tape let me know and I'll send you a couple rolls!! You know what would work even better are those little round band aids the doctor would put on shots when you were a kid. Seriously, is it possible when you de-prime the hull the pusher is set to deep or maybe the pusher is damaged at the end(bent)causing the old primer to be pushed out crooked thus opening up the hole? I would assume you measured both old and new primers and compared diameters, right? See you this summer. Don Aldridge

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Use Nobel Sports. They are the largest diameter primer and they will not fall out.

TB

9. tcr1146

Donny,
    Thought about nail polish, oh, never mind! De-primer pin looks perfect! However, if that was the problem, wouldn't other hulls, Gold Medals, STS, AA etc also be a problem?! Tom Rhoads

10. Popgun

Popgun TS Member

Tom

I had not shot any from Sept till last Tue, went to Mud Run.Boy was I rusty, but got to see some old faces and had a good time. How about yourself.

Bob Smith

11. tcr1146

Bob,
    Have not shot since 24 Sept and really getting the bug. No convenient place to shoot close by in the winter like the "old days" and the weather has been pretty rough! Loading shells, lengthening the pull on my gun and mainly just studying and of course getting all the "advice" on here to keep me going! See you in the spring old boy and I will buy you a coffee! Tom Rhoads

12. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

tom, i haven't reloaded any top gun for about a year or so and i've never had the problem you mention but just the opposite. the t/g had become a real pain to deprime and reprime(my grabber made a different sound when i reloaded these hulls.) also when i loaded a batch of these hulls i had to increase the primer seat pressure or the primer wouldn't seat fully.(209A fed). i believe it had to do with corrosion between the primer and the fibre base wad. especially if the hulls were in storage for awhile or subjected to moisture at some time. this was the very reason i quit reloading these hulls as i didn't want to deal with this. never had any trouble with the brass headed top gun hulls. just my experience. dennis

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have reloaded thousand's of Top Gun's through mu old Hornady 366 w/o any problems whatsoever. As stated, your reloader may be the problem.

Curt

14. abiezer

abiezer Guest

If the hulls we're fired in a gun with a really large chamber, the head could be expanding and increasing the primer pocket size,fiocchi primers will most likely work.
    I've reloaded thousands upon thousands of these for use in the 391 for sporting, let em fly,let em lie,and never had a loose primer problem with them,
    only use fresh ones however, don't ever scrounge this type of hull,use only ones you've fired and know they are fresh once or twice fired.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have loaded thousands of Top Gun and Estate hulls with my RCBS "The Grand" with out any problem and I use both F616 and F209A primers. Never had a loose one? Go figure. Ben

16. tcr1146

Mystery solved guys and it was not the loader! Tom Rhoads

17. abiezer

abiezer Guest

What was the mystery?

18. tcr1146

Thought you would never ask! One of the posters got my attention and mentioned that he only loaded these hulls one time and pitched them! When I went back to load some tonight, I noticed that at random I had some one time reloaded hulls mixed in with the new hulls! The reason I did not notice earlier, I had reloaded them with Fiocchi 616 primers and they looked exactly like the factory silver primers. Anyway, I punched 3 of these out of the used hulls on a Versamec for curiosity! Sure enough, on those used hulls that had been reloaded with Fiocchi primers, I could easily shove the new Fed primers in with my thumb and pick them back out easily with my fingernail! I could not even come close to inserting a Fiocchi primer back into these used hulls with thumb pressure! Now my curiosity really got me. I measured 3 Fiocchi primers with good vernier calipers to get max and min outside diameter and sure enough they were slightly out of round and anywhere from .242 to .2455 in diameter! When I measured a few Feds, I got as low as .240 up to .2425. In other words, not only were both primers slightly out of round, the Fiocchis were definitely larger which had enlarged the pockets! Real easy solution for me! Only use the Feds in new ones and Fiocchis in the ones that were previously loaded in the hulls! I had heard the Fiocchi primers were larger but now I know (at least this lot) this to be true! I love the primers but looks like must stick with them once I use them! Tom Rhoads

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I am glad you figured it out. As a shooter and mentor at a club with a huge SCTP presence, massive quantities of Top Guns, as well as many other hulls are collected from the field!

I typically use Cheddite, Rio, Nobel Sport and the other imported, reasonably priced primers. I have a few sleeves of Fed 209A, but seldom use them.

I have not ever had a problem with the Top Gun hulls. Nowadays I have to stand in line to get them. I made the mistake of sharing how well they load once, and are then tossed. LOL

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

On the second reload a Federal paper will often have a little black ring around the primer indicating that gas is slipping past due to a poor seal. for the third and final load I use a Fiocchi primer and it fits nice and snug again. Once you have loaded with a Fiocchi you can't use anything else.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alliant e3 reload top gun