1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Gun and Estate misfires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

1n the last 200 Top Guns i've had 5 misfires amd in the last 100 Estates I had one, if I try the shell again they work fine.

Gun Clubs, Peters, Super Targets and reloads all work fine

Anybody else been having trouble?

2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Maybe it's your gun? Seems every time I remove my MX trigger, I'll get a misfire at some point. I'll have a small indentation in the primer and if I shoot it again, it will shoot fine. Then, I won't get another misfire until I have removed the trigger again. Drives me nuts.

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

I had the same thing happen today with a Top Gun. Nothing the first time but went "bang" the second time. I was shooting a new Beretta 682 Gold E with the un-single barrel.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

The problem is that the original primers use a steel face where the firing pin hits the primer. The steel gives slightly and then springs back into place and does not ignite. Once it has a small dent, it changes the way the steel reacts and the shell will "usually" work the second time. I had one last week that did not work at any time. Remington gun club shells had the same problem a couple of years ago and changed back to brass primers to eliminate the problem. hope this helps motordoc

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

The problem is that the original primers use a steel face where the firing pin hits the primer. The steel gives slightly and then springs back into place and does not ignite. Once it has a small dent, it changes the way the steel reacts and the shell will "usually" work the second time. I had one last week that did not work at any time. Remington gun club shells had the same problem a couple of years ago and changed back to brass primers to eliminate the problem. hope this helps motordoc

6. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Just to let folks know another reason for this problem. The primers that have the domed head come from Federal and I know that they have had problems for many years with the inner primer not being seated into the bottom of the outer cup. When a shell that has this is struck with the firing pin the inner primer moves and seats into the bottom of the outer cup. The forward movement takes all the inertia out of the firing pin and the result is a light hit. Now that the primer is seated and cannot move forward when it is struck the second time the shell will generally go off when struck again. Just a little info to let you know.

Dennis DeVault

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I Have shot thousands of them with zero misfires and the only person I have ever squaded with who had a misfire was shooting a Winchester Select Energy which, of course, does not count.

-Gary

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

UtahYork wrote: "Seems every time I remove my MX trigger, I'll get a misfire at some point." I don't have selectable triggers in my MX guns but I heard that if your trigger is selectable there is a little different procedure you can do.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The problem does exist and some guns are more problematic than others. I am getting about 1 in 500 from my Beretta 682, another guy I shoot with gets 1 or 2 out every box through his K32 but zero problems out of his XT Browning. Another of our squad mates has zero incidences out of his K80 but a few problems from his KX5. We shoot mostly Estate ammo.

I think it is as Dennis describes and some shotguns are more prone to problems due to factors like firing pin travel and mainspring strength.

10. ClaysNovice

ClaysNovice Member

I had a similar problem with Gun Club shells a couple of years back when I was shooting a Rem 3200. I did not have an issue when being shot from my Guerini. I think the gun definitely contributes to the issue. It is probably a combination of the primer and the firing pin in the gun.

11. porky

porky TS Member

I think if you look really close at the unfired shells, you can see that the primers are slightly lower in the primer pocket than the shells that have gone off. I can believe the issue where the primer moves into the primer pocket deeper.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with Remington's Gun Club's a few years ago, after a conversation with the plant they admitted they had a problem and were changing over to primers used in their Nitro's. They call tagged for the balance I had on hand replacing them, plus a number extra boxes.

The first call I would be making is to Federal with the batch number in hand. I'm certain they will handle your situation fairly.

If you have a problem, the first contact is with the manufacturer always, if they don't resolve you issue then come on line.

Surfer

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I started purchasing and shooting Estates about 4 yrs. ago. I never had one misfire out of approx. 60 flats. At the beginning of last year I purchased another 10 flats. I had about 7 misfires out of the first flat I tried and none after that. All primers were seated deeper upon inspection. This could have been before attempted firing or as Dennis mentioned, primer seating after firing. I don't know. Most of mine would not fire on the second try. I was shooting these out of a TMX and an MX 14-L.

Several of my friends tried shooting them and the only gun that they fired in the second time was an MX 2000.

I have seen quite a few Gun Clubs that would not fire because of primer seating depth also.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.