1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Barrel first in U/O??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

They might shoot in different places and "top first" might be the right combination. Or the chokes might be set up that way, or the trigger; the MX-3 was. Or maybe someone else, approaching it with an open mind, has found that the top barrel kicks less. Mine does, and I just shot 4000 more doubles and experienced it 2000 times again.

Neil

2. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

If you're using an O/U for trap and you've got choke tubes, it's not a bad idea to change them around occasionally and shot the top barrel first. That gives the firing pins, springs, etc., more even wear.

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I use the top barrel of my O/U for singles - 1 oz. light loads; then use the bottom barrel for handicap with 1 1/8 heavier loads. Seems to moderate the recoil and gets both barrels about the same usage. Ed

4. B391

B391 TS Member

when the unsingle barrel of my 682x got to heavy for me i traded for a top single. since i shoot a release-pull trigger i had it changed to put the release on the top for 16s and handicap with the single barrel. with one ounce loads for the first shot of doubles i don't have a recoil problem.

5. Jim H.

Jim H. TS Member

I have read that O/U's often impact higher from the top barrel than from the bottom. For field shooting that might make the top barrel a better choice for an open choke (closer flushing birds rise quicker from the shooter's perspective) and the bottom better for a tighter choke (as they get away and the angle closes shoot right at them with a flat POI).

A guy at our range mentioned his Fabbri pigeon gun is deliberately set up to shoot higher (60/40) from the bottom, and flatter from the top. I guess that helps hit a fast rising released pigeon w/o losing sight of it, and then send the second barrel right at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.