1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 guns in trapshooting history

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was talking to some guys out at the local gun club and this is our list for the top 5 guns in trapshooting history according to importance to the game and # of wins. Do you agree, if not, what is your top 5?

1. Winchester model 12

2. Remington 870

3. Remington 1100

4. Perazzi TM 1

5. Perazzi MX 8

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

No BT 99????

No Ljutic???

No Browning O/U????

No 4E??? (this should be the granddaddy of all trapguns)

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You are probably pretty close because for the 1st 75 years (of trapshooting)there were mostly American made guns being shot, yes 1 or 2 Ithicas and maybe a Ljutic but all this high priced foreign made stuff is fairly recent on the scene. When I started in the early 1960s very few of us could even think-dream of an imported high dollar O&U or SBT so I shot what I could afford, an 870 field grade. Ross Puls

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

My list-- Model 12; 870; 1100; BT-99; and lastly the Browning Citori

5. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

I think it depends on your age and possibly area . To me, the list would look like this....

LC Smith,
    Parker ,
    Fox ,
    Model 12 ,

EdH

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

model 31 remington? model37 winchester?

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If not for John Browning's Superposed & the Remington 32, there probably wouldn't be a Citori or a K-80......and Al Ljutic was a visionary who redefined the single barrel trap gun concept.

Ron Burr

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

I agree with your first three choices but would change the last two. I would add Browning Citori and K-32/K-80.

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

BT-99 should definately be included somewhere............

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Model 12, Model 31 (870), Ithaca SBT, BT-99, Citori.

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Model 12, BT-99, Citori, TM1 and K32/80 come to my mind. However I'm guessing I'm a bit biased as I have owned all these guns at one time or the other as well.....

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Model 12, 4E, 870, 1100, BT-99

13. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

When I started in 84, there were more 870s than any other gun with the 1100 a close second. The Model 12 was "the" gun to have even though it wasn't made for 20 years at that time (sans the Y models). The serious shooters were shooting BT99s and the wealthy serious shooters had Perazzis. One older guy had a Krieghoff which I didn't even know existed. That's what people were shooting. I would put the 870 and 1100 very high. Both are dependable and affordable. The BT99 and Citori would rank up by the top for the same reasons. The Model 12 would round out the top 5. Even though the high end single barrels are significant I would go with the guns people started with that got them hooked on trap to begin with.

Joe

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

We completely forgot about the BT 99 and the 4E. BT 99 has to be in that group for sure. When I started shooting in 1970 I did not see to many 4 E's. I new one guy who shot a 4E and another a 5 E.

A gunsmith friend of mine said the Ithaca was a well built gun but very few guys could shoot them really well. Have no idea if his comment was true or not?
    Steve

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Historically: 4E, Model 12, Superposed, Ljutic Mono, Perazzi MX series. We're talking top of the line at the time of there introduction.

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

90Tshooter, you brought back some good memories about Trap shooting. I started in 1988 with a Winchester 101 I picked up a few years previous. The gun was well worn so I went through it and got it back in good condition. One of the guys I was shooting with had a Valmet O/U there were a few M12's, BT 99's and the scattered Kregoff. Then someone in the gang came up with a Perazzi. I was hooked. I later picked up a TM1 that needed a little TLC and went through it. Been shooting it ever since.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

history of trap guns

perazzi trap guns history of models

top 5 professional trap guns

top trap shooters and there gun