1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tool to remove stuck case from Kreighoff

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

My Mom recently bought a Krieghoff KS-5s. About once in every 25 shells the ejector slips past the case head and leaves the shell stuck in the gun. It's not hard to get out, but it takes about 10-seconds of prying.

Everything seems to be fine mechanically. I don't want to send it to a gunsmith right away if it's something as simple as this being typical for the reloaded Gun Club shells she uses. We haven't tried any other brand shells in the gun since I reload just about everything we shoot.

If this isn't a broken gun and is just the shells... I've heard of a simple tool made to pry out a shotshell that she could keep in her vest while on the line. Anyone heard of anything like this.

Thanks for your help.
    Mark T.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Try a different brand of shell. Some expand more than others and tend to stick in tight chambers (shells with bases made of thin metal). Oh, and make sure that the chamber is clean.

Keller

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

ARE YOU RESIZING?

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

What reloader are you using, have you tried adjusting the resizer? Do the ejectors wiggle? How many rounds have been shot through the gun? Continuing to pry them out from under the ejectors really isn't a very good solution, even with a "tool". Mark

5. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Try to find some brass rimmed shells to reload. Gun Clubs will stick more often than brass because the brass will contract when it cools however the steel base of the gun club will not contract.

Even if the gun club sticks i would not think the extractor should jump over it. There may be a problem with the extractor.

6. high 2

high 2 Member

It needs a new extractor(ejector). It's around a $200 fix. Larry

7. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

My friend had a 682 berretta that did this. His chamber was wallowed out a new ejecter did not fix it.

8. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Reload some sts or nitros and it will work fine. Gun clubs and others don't. jim w.

9. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Yes... I am resizing the shells and using a MEC 9000 loader. I don't think there's any way to adjust the resizing.

I'll try some STS hulls I have and see how they do.

The extractors/ejectors seem tight.... as does the whole gun. It was purchased used and had just undergone a check-up with Krieghoff.... so I don't know much else about.

Thanks for the help!

Mark

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

link above is to your manual. See page 25 for how to adjust the collet resizer. Mark

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Resize Gun Club hulls so that the base measures .806"-.8075" where the base meets the plastic of the hull. That's where the expansion occurs. Smaller is not necessary.

Keller

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I doubt STS will make a difference, but maybe. What will is Fed. hulls.

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Try closing the gun but not all the way just enough to set the extractors in the down position and then load your shell. With the ejector in the down position the shell can not over ride it. Try setting them a few times and you will quickly get the hang of it. Just about close the gun then open it again. Bernie K

14. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Bernie K:
    I have a Tod Bender video and he always closes his gun/opens it/ and closes it again.
    Is that why. Always wondered.

15. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Do what shoot em all says. Use Nitros and STS. dump everything else. If that does not fix it give Jim Eyester a call 419-625-6131, Glenn Allison

16. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Bender does that to make sure the gun is cocked

17. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Thanks everyone! I had checked the sizing on the shells when I first set up the loader and it was fine. Thanks to your recommendations, I checked again tonight and found it was not sizing them enough. I adjusted the loader and will get my Mom to shoot tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. If not, we'll check out the STS shells and see what happens.

Mark T.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Before doing anything expensive. Use something to make the chamber slick. Flitz, Pledge, maybe a silicone polish. I cut the ejector springs on my Perazzi's to make them less aggressive on the ejectors and once in a while it wont kick them out of the chamber. Pledge worked nicely but you have to keep treating it.

19. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Don't pry them out with anything.....use a range rod or wad knocker to get them out. If the extractor is slipping past the shell rim on stuck cases the extractor is defective. If the shell stays in the chamber with the extractor not lifting the hull up, but still applying pressure, then try other factory shells. If the chamber is dirty or rough it could also be the cause. Keep in mind steel bases on shotgun shells will cause more wear than brass ones. Your reloading to save money but I would load with Winchester AA, Federal Gold Medals or Remington STS or Nitro's not the ones you can pick up with a magnet. They should be put in the trash. I have seen many adds here for quality hulls for 3 or 4 cents a piece. Anything less would be like putting recapped tires on your private jet and expecting to save a few bucks. I wouldn't be so afraid to get acquainted with your local Gunsmith as they come in handy sometimes.

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Don't play around with it. Don't be lazy to send it back for the fix at Kreighoff. You have a very nice gun and it deserve it and so dose your Mon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotshell slipping past ejector