1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TOOL FOR REMOVING REMINGTON 1000 STOCK BOLT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birddog1964, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

A wile back someone posted a simple tool to remove the stock bolt instead of using a screw driver, but I can not find the post. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    lee

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IIRC it was an 11/16? (9/16?) spade-bit with the outside cutters ground off.

Bob

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you have a way way lug wrench with the spade end for hubcaps in your car you have the perfect tool for removing the stock bolt ( be careful not to tighten it too much because you get a lot of leverage with that lug wrench)

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is a special tool. It is a heavy screwdriver bit inside a socket shell, to keep the bit centered on, and from sliding off of, the special end nut. The big advantage is that it prevents the stock from being split, which can happen with a big screwdriver or 4-way lug wrench if it slips off and gets caught between the nut and the wood. The link above goes to a discussion thread that has pics of this tool in use. The Brownells part number is 080-187-201 and the price is $23.56.<br>
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1972/sku/1100_Buttstock_Bolt_Bit<br>
    <br>
    Note that some later models of the 20ga 1100 and 1187 use a different nut setup, this being a thin walled 11/16 nut. An 11/16 socket will work.<br>
    <br>
    The cheap $4 spade bit thread is at this link. It is a better solution than using a screwdriver or tire iron because it does not slip. But, I don't care for the cutting edge being used to loosen or tighten the nut. I'd rather grind the cutting edges off completely, leaving the center as a guide.<br>
    http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=190391<br>
    <br>
    If someone wants to use a lug wrench, I suggest wrapping a lot of duct tape around it just before the blade to help keep the tool centered in the stock. This will help prevent it from splitting the stock should it slip.<br>
    <br>
    And make sure to properly pad your 1100 or 1187 receiver if you put it in a vise, and to make sure the vise jaws overlap the rear end of the receiver. You can bend the receiver walls in if the jaws are too short and are not overlapping the ends. Use cardboard or wood to protect the receiver from the jaws.

5. LukeG

LukeG Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=190391
    [​IMG]

6. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Thanks for all that replied the one above is the one I was looking for.

thanks
    lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

brownell nut socket to remove stock of remington 100

tool to remove stock on remington 1000

tool to remove stock on remmington 1000