1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Took the Shima clinic today...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

And wow. that guy can teach.

I'm nobodies skeet shooter - low 90s, high 80s kind of guy. B and C class, mostly.

He had me shooting better skeet, faster, that I could have beleived possible. I hope I can retain it. If you dabble in the game, or if you're serious about it, money and time well spent.

Make your skirt jokes if you must...I'm trying to be AA/27/AA and A in all four gauges plus skeet doubles at once.

2. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Did he have you put a piece of tape over one of your lenses? Neil

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

...over your nipples? We're dying to know...

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Neil, I'm slightly cross eyed, so I have to wear a patch already -or I see TWO freaking barrels and TWO freaking birds.

The only problem is I try to break the wrong bird with the real gun barrel and miss by 8 feet.

The other two guys in the class did get patched, though and I can report they shot very well.

Buzz, my nipples are ALWAYS hard when I'm shooting, so the tape just won't stick.

5. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Did it help your singles game?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Nice comeback there Jeff, but I think you owe me a new keyboard after I spilled my drink all over it. Maybe it will dry out. LOL. Glad you enjoyed the clinic!! Now Todd would get you to use your legs to move the gun!!! Can Trap shooters do that??? Break-em all. Jeff

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff

Over here, I'm going to have to learn to deal with starting low gun, and a random delay.

Station 8 is a killer!

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

LOL@Jeff

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have never taken a lesson from John. However, he has a reputation for being a excllent communicator. I suspect that his instruction will be applicable to both Trap and Skeet.

Ronbo

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

While I joke a little about Skeet shooters.. that's the rank I grew up in.. When I forget how to move a shotgun.. A skeet field is a rapid instructor..along with the watchful eye of Paul Gambrone or LP Gambrone 3rd..

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

PBB, You have a pair of shooters there that must be pretty hard to beat on any given day. Must be nice to have them give you a few pointers from time to time though. Keep swinging and break-em all. Jeff

12. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

John Shima is an amazing instructor. He came out did 4 half day mini clinics for our 4H team. I've worked with some of those kids for 6 years. John had their "number" down in about 15 minutes. He knew who was timid, who was cocky, who serious, and who was sluffing off.....then he custom fit his instruction to each shooter. He had each one shooting better, gave each one specific advice, made them mad, happy, and glad all at the same time. It's tough to keep 4 kids engaged for 4+ hours at a stretch...but he did!

He was also most helpful in sharing information with the coaches...he was instructing us as well, we learned a lot. While he is not cheap, you get more than your monies worth. He showed up early, started early, pushed hard all day, and stayed later than he had too. He did not break for lunch, he never sat down, never stopped. He worn those kids out! The guy has a bladder the size of Kansas.....no kidding, he stopped one time Sunday to go take a whiz. One of the hardest working guys I've ever seen!

We are going to bring back in the spring....if we can get him!

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

mismost...that would be my experience too, he started early and worked hard.

I shot 13 boxes of shells in 4 hours - the other two guys in the class shot similar numbers.

$250 was cheap.

And in answer to earlier questions about him improving my singles game (that's only Ben Olsen, who ran 200 straight last week BUT WON"T ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HE FAIRED IN THE HOA)....I think he did.

Its really too early to tell, but so far, the early returns are promising.

14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The tape is known as the 'Mark Of Shima' around here. Probably the best instructor I've had the pleasure to work with. He comes around every year here, and I try like heck to get some time with him.

He is a remarkably smart, honest, and perceptive coach and shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.