1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Took my mother fishing saturday

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My mother is in her 80's and use to fish with my father before he passed away 7 years ago. Friday after work I went to visit her and she said she was bored. I asked her if she wanted to go fishing and her eyes lite up. I called a friend and asked him if i could purchase some of his crickets? He said sure, why don't you come out, you can use my boat too. We got there and I asked him if he would like to come along as he knows Nagawicka lake a lot better than myself. We all used cane poles and the blue gills were attacking those crickets. My mother had a ball, I was so happy that she caught fish and had a good time. We split up the fish and when we got home, I filled them. My mom dipped them in butter milk and then in flour with a bunch of seasoning. She then fried them up golden brown. I took some ice cold beer out of the refrigerator, also used some Franks hot sauce on the fish and I thought I was going to die and go to heaven. It was a great time. I have not seen my mom so happy since before my dad passed away. If your parents are still living, consider doing something with them before it's to late.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

That was a great story Steve. Thanks, Mike.

3. sjmercer1

sjmercer1 TS Member

Way to go Steve! Life's to short, glad you could enjoy a wonderful day with your Mother! Take pictures and have lasting memories. Wish my Dad was still here to go fishing with!
    Steve

4. Mike

Mike Member

Work's with kids also! Mik

5. shrek

shrek Active Member

thanks for the great story and lesson Senior Smoke

6. TC

TC TS Member

Thanks Steve, that was a great story. Tony

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its never too late to make more good memories!! Next time Steve take your pocket camera..we'd love to see you and mom hoisting your trophies with mile-wide smiles in some pics

8. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Makes me wish someone would take me fishing. All my fishing buddies are back in PA. Had a blast taking my girls fishing for bass and trout when they were young. Took plenty of pictures and video.

Rich (haven't tried fishing here yet) in Indiana

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Did the same thing with my Dad once. Got him out of the nursing home one Sunday when there wasn't a trapshoot to drag him to. It was mid July and I didn't have much hope of catching anything, but for some reason I bought crickets and some nightcrawlers. Dad was nearly blind by then and it was a challenge getting him in my little jonboat. Not even sure why, but I went straight to the far end of the lake, guess so we could have some shade. It was near the dam and in about 8-9 feet of water. For some reason the bluegill were there that day, and they were starving. I'd put a cricket on the #6 gold aberdeen on my little Zebco Ultralite, plop it in and when I'd feel one on I'd turn around and hand the rod to Dad. Those things just about wore us out that hot afternoon. We had the livebasket teeming with them when we finally quit. By the time we ran out of crickets, it was time to take Dad back to the home, so we just released them all. We never even got to use the nightcrawlers.
    Although Dad made many more trapshoot trips with me, we never made it back to the lake to fish. I tried the spot several other times when I was alone, but always got skunked. In a way, I'm glad the bluegill were never there again.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Stokinpls:
    Sounds like you and your father had a good time. I can remember the last time I went fishing with my dad. While I was fishing I some how knew it would be the last time we fished together. I now regret all the time I spent weekends at area gun clubs thinking that I would take him fishing the very next weekend. The next weekend never came due to an illness. Sometimes people take for granted the time spent with their parents. I would give anything to go fishing one more time with him. My children are grown, have children of their own. When my kids were little, with the stress of working, making ends meet, the constant yelling and screaming that children growing up make, I would sometimes say why don't you kids grow up? The echo I now hear from my words is that they now have. Sometimes in life you don't know how good you have it until it's gone.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.