1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Took apart an Estate shell

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Save yourself the time Rick. Federal went to that wads for all their lead loads about 5 years ago. I was told they quit loading the 12S3 and the 12So in the Gold Medals as well. Supposedly they use it for the lead hunting loads as well. I was told they just adjust wad pressure and use the same wad for everything. Jeff

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

That wad column adjusts to different loads at the factory.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Rick, I am assuming that you know that federal and Estate are the same. Same hulls, same wads, same primers, and in the case of the Wal-Mart cheapie Federal shell, the same shot. I think the Top Guns have a higher grade of shot as over the years the shot in Top guns has varied. I have no idea what shot they are using in Top guns at this time but I hope the shot is of a better grade then the Estates and Wal-Mart cheapies as they used to cost more money. I can't get Top guns locally anymore. As long as you look at current production shells, you should find that same POS wad in all of them. Jeff

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The Estates reload very nicely using Federal components (or clones).

I've run some tests and the hulls still look very good after being reloaded 3 times. Having said that, I do kick 'em after reloading just once (have access to plenty of hulls).

Curt

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not a thing wrong with the two piece wads. They load better on the loaders where they are produced than a one piece wad and have been used for many years in one configuration or another.

I prefer them over all the so-called "cheapies". If there weren't some primer problems with Remington in all their shells, including the Gun Clubs, they'd be my favorite as the hull is one piece.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Has anyone here opened a Gold Medal in the last few years?

Neil

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Neil...

I have a flat or 2 of the Federal GM's from when they just changed to the smooth hull (however many years ago that was). I'll cut one open and see which wad was used at that time.

I'll post my findings asap.

Curt

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

The last time I cut open a Gold Medal it had the two piece wad.

Don Verna

PS I hear that Federal is coming out with a new GM hull. It will be a ribbed instead of smooth hull. Just like the older ones???

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Neil: I opened about 100 of them yesterday, but unfortunaely the shells looked pretty empty after I got around to looking at them.

Dennis

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dennis- Clever. I like that.

Pat Ireland

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They are loading the two piece wad in papers. The 12s3 works great for 1 ounce loads in a paper but I don't think you could ever fit an 1 1/8oz load into a paper with a 12s3. I have seen the 12SO listed for years with a 1 ounce load in a paper but it doesn't work. Just because they print it in a loading manual does not make it so! Jeff

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yes the 4 pack shells at walmart in Federals have the two piece wad. Win. still uses their normal WAA12 one piece wad in the walmart cheapee's on the 4 pack of universal's. I'm not sure about the Rem's 4 pack their??? Maybe I should cut one open and see??? Anyone know before I do!!! Break-em all. Jeff

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've loaded thousands of paper Federal's with the 12S3 wad and 1-1/8 oz. of shot with no problems. Makes a great long yardage handicap load.

Curt

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The Remington WalMart's I have are the "power piston" style wads.

Ajax

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I will try some Curt. I have a few bags of original Federal 12s3's in my reloading area. I use the 12C1 and the Caybuster red 8 for 1 1/8oz loads in a paper. Jeff

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Rick Barker

The two piece wad you describe is the Federal hunting wad. When it came on the market about the same time as the Mark 5 Winchester shot wrapper it was called the 'triple-plus-wad-column' because the base sealed above the powder, the column progressably collapsed, and the shot cup protected the shot.

The former Federal rep Pete Mitchell once told me that the ratio between all target loads and all hunting loads at Federal were Target: 7%, Hunting 92%. So for every target load shot there are many more shot for hunting. This is cheaper to make and use in their economy target loads because they already make millions each year just for hunting loads.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26.5-AA

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It has been a couple of years and they may have changed, but I have tore apart many shells including Estates and checked them. The Estates by far have the worst looking shot than any I have checked. My best guess is the shot in Estate shells is not from a shot tower but hand poured. It does not appear to be reclaimed shot because if you look at enough shells you will find many shot welded together. There will be several shot stuck together, and I have not found that in reclaimed shot.

And I agree on the light weight. Most I have weighed are around the 440-450 close to the 1 ounce range...much less than advertised as 1 1/8 or 492.

At least out of my gun, Estates still smoke targets from the 16 as well as any on the market. I shoot them all the time. They are living proof it does not take perfect round hard shot and an 1 1/8 ounce of shot to puff ball targets. I will continue to shoot them when I find them at a good price.

If you like them, I would suggest not taking them apart and looking at the shot.

Mark Rounds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.