1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Took a newbee out to shoot today.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Years ago when I first started shooting trap, my nephew and I would shoot together.My girls were just about out of the house and his two kids were recently born as a result "Unc" pretty much picked up the tab for our shooting.
    Well nephew is now employed as a L.E.O. and is busy so guess who got to take the nephews son out to get started. You got it "Unc". Who paid "Unc".
    Let him shoot as much as he wanted in the 26 degree weather and went through 8 boxes of shells seven of them he shot, my shells.
    He loved shooting and when we were done he asked about next week. I told him no problem as long as you foot your own bill from now on. Can't wait to see if he continues on his own dime.
    Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about picking up their expenditures I just think I don't want to make this a second generation thing. Bulge.

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Why not???? I'm doing a "second generation thing" now, and God willing I hope I'm able to a third and fourth. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but I derive a lot of enjoyment watching them shoot. They are the future and I believe that we should do any and everything we can to encourage them to shoot and keep shooting. Nothing makes me feel prouder than to hear one of "my kids" tell their friends, that uncle Dave gave them a gun and is teaching them to shoot.

3. maka

maka Member

Belong to 2 clubs in NE WI. Each has a youth training program. Helped with each. Clubs charge one time fee $5-10. Programs run about 10-12 weeks. Each week each student received one free box of shells. Is not uncommon to have 25-40 students. One youth director to run program with members helping to coach. Best way to develope new shooters.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Took a lady friend's grandson and granddaughter quail hunting in the high desert a couple weeks ago. He's never shot before so after drilling him on gun handling I let him carry his grandmother's .410, open and over his shoulder as I carried mine except when shooting was imminent. They got to watch my dogs work and I made a couple of wing and a prayer shots at departing for the next time zone quail. I carried the .410 ammo. I found a dump out there and set up a couple of old turpentine cans. He was pretty scared so I snuggled in behind him and made sure the gun was in his shoulder pocket and his face on the comb. Of course 2 seconds after discharge I could see the wonder on his face and, "Wow, that didn't hurt at all. Can I do it again?" Next shot he centered the other can and really sent it flying. Then his little sister shot and she too was instantly asking for more.

The girl was starting to complain about the hunt, we were about a half mile from the house in typical 3-dimensional high desert, cut with water courses and such, and I explained to her that this is hunting, not sitting by the pool, that if you want to take it easy go sit by the pool but hunting is not about fun, it's about enjoyment, that oftentimes when we hunt we are hot or cold and wet and terribly un-comfortable, but the return is getting to be out in nature, observing it and being a part of it. I showed them many things that they could see were a treat reserved only for those who take to the field such as dust bowls where quail had dusted themselves and a place where a coyote or two had dug up an underground colony of squirrels. She had a very different attitude by the time we got back to the house.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Bulge, will you take me shooting too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.