1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Much Choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I just picked up an unsingle barrel for my Zoli trap gun.

Its in great shape, and seems to fit my receiver quite well. A little snug, but it doesn't bind, locks up tight, and there is no gap between the back of the monobloc and the breech face.

Anyway, just as a point of information, I measured the barrel with my friend's bore gauge.

The bore measures 0.728, which is just a tad bigger than my O/U barrels measure, but when we got out to the choke, WHOA!

The choke measured 0.686, which results in a choke constriction of 0.042!

When I was "on" at 16 yards, many of the targets simply disappeared.

Then I shot a few rounds at 27 yards with it, and mind you, I'm no 27-yarder, but on those few occasions where I was "on" the target turned to dust.

Anybody else have a choke that tight?

I don't plan to change it. For the time being, I just plan to shoot it.

2. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

I did a lot of testing with ~30, ~40, and ~50 thou. By testing I mean proper numerical tests. There wasn't much between them. With some shells the 40-thou gave patterns a little tighter than the other chokes. With other shells things reversed - but not by much. The safest bet for the tightest patterns with the least amount of risk and effort seems to me to be something ~40-thou. But a little bit either way will not make much difference.

Andrew.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dr. Andrew

That just gives me more reason NOT to mess with this barrel.

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

timb99,

My Broadway has a fixed full choke with .042" constriction, and a fixed modified choke of .0294. European shotguns in general have slightly tighter chokes. I believe it's because they use 'spreader' rounds more than we do here in the States.

LA in MA

5. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

my 1980 citori combo is choked .042 on the single barrel & ,042 on the top barrel of the over under. bottom barrel of over under is .030

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I somehow ended up at the range with my extended turkey choke screwed in my gun, only other choke was a improved.. I shot the turkey choke and the targets would disappear also.. I just use it now when I shoot that gun (citori)

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Hi Tim, I heard about the "get together" for you after it had already occurred, so I'm sorry I wasn't there. I know many wish you well.

It is great that you got a single barrel for your Zoli; I have been thinking about getting a O/U barrel for the single barrel trap I bought...but then decided I don't like doubles anyway. I went to the Grand and saw some o/u barrels, but am too tight to spend the $$ for something I probably wouldn't use that often.

The tighter choke will certainly work with handicap; but I understand that some shooters use their O/U barrels with more open chokes for 16s then go to the single barrel for handicap. There is also a school of thought that learning and getting used to a tight full choke for both short and long yardage is the best way to be proficient. One of the better shooters at Smithville uses an old full choke 1100 for everything and shoots extremely well.

The response you got that the performance of the ammo will vary somewhat is certainly worth considering rather than worrying about how tight the choke may be. Best Regards, Ed

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ed

You didn't miss much. Just a few of us shot a couple rounds together.

Tim

9. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

42 thousands is the classic full choke dial measurement left over from the nitro card/pre-plastic wad ammo days.

Pattern percentages don't change much down from 42 to 30 thou or so, BUT what does change is the pattern's quality. The patterns become more uniform/less holes are developed for the target to slip through.

There is a website that shows this with a series of pattern runs with progressively more open chokes. See http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

- - Bill

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Tim, I will keep watching for your postings here. I went to the Grand and watched the Porto-Potties flying across our parking lot. I actually fastened my seat belt in the car (motor was shut off) as we watched the storm blow over everything. Was extremely hot...not fun. If I had known how miserable it was going to be, I would have stayed home. Have fun in your assignment! Stay in touch. Best Regards, Ed PS. Bet you will like your new barrel a lot.

11. racer

racer TS Member

Rick- that one won't fly.... Dan

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Keep shooting it, it's big of you to let others win. Bruce

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My 1960's Remington 1100 Trap has .042" choke (fixed). It does let you know when you are on! 7/8 ounce loads just destroy 16 yard targets. Great for games too!

Jim Skeel

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Got a reduction letter from ATA a month or so ago, you know, the "dear sir, we regret to inform you that you SUCK at 24 yards. Please try 23."

Shot a 95 in singles and a 99 from the 23 yard line at KCTA with the new barrel today.

The 99 kicked me right back to 24 yards.

Well THAT was a short-lived yardage reduction, wasn't it?

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Was their a big payoff involved? hmmm?

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

You shot a 99 in handicap??? Why in the hell then, are you asking anybody on this site for their thoughts????

Good shooting.

Oh, since you asked. I would get rid of that barrell. It is definetly choked too tight. The 99 you shot was a fluke, get rid of it. LOL

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bisi...

Big-M - No big payoff, but I did win a case of Nitro-27 shells.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Rick Barker,

Generally speaking, a 12 gauge nominal or "standard" bore diameter would be the diameter resulting from a pure lead sphere weighing 1/12th of a pound.

If I recall correctly, that is 0.729 inches.

19. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have an 11-87 with the "TARGET" barrel. Bore measures .744 with Rem Choke full tube measuring .691 for .053" constriction. This is the correct tube for this barrel as spec'd by Remington. Rem seemed not to take into account their own back bore when specifying choke tubes. Turkey chokes are available much tighter yet. This gun does not take the Pro Bore Tube.

When a target is centered it just vanishes. Marc

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Good shooting Bisi... you really don't need those nitro's to shoot caps. Willing to trade for some Top Gun 2 3/4 d or Gun Clubs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.