1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

too little wad pressure ???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 6ft lead, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

just a question for ya all. i was putting together some light 1oz loads for my son for his conference shoot on sat. and was using tgt12s wads. to get the perfect crimp, i had to ajust my mec for more wad hight.aka less wad pressure, and was just wandering if anyone has had bloopers with less pressure, and at what point do you call low wad pressure, too little. i dont feel i was on the fence, ( about 30-35lbs. ) but wondered about absolute minimum.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With modern wads and all, there's no need to crush plastic wads with even that much pressure. On my machines, as long as I see the wad pressure guide just budge, that's where I lock it up. All you really need is a firm seat over the powder and crushing the wad generally just has it spring back to nearly the same length.....Bob Dodd

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Second what Bob Dodd said.
    --- Chip King ---

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you want to check wad pressure, when a charged hull gets to the station where the wad is inserted and shot is dropped, put in the wad, and, if you have a progressive press, tilt the bottles back so the shot is not dropped. Go ahead and pull the handle down and then try to turn the hull.

If the hull is hard to turn or will not turn, you have enough wad pressure. It matters not if the wad pressure gauge registers. If the hull turns easily, adjust the rammer tube down a little.

More wad pressure generally does not accomplish much. The plastic wad will not maintain compression.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I agree with the above statements, from my personal experience I tried using zero wad pressure and made the mistake of adjusting wad height to get better crimps. The result was intermitten bloopers. I then adjusted the wad seater for minimal movement to make sure the wad was seated firmly on the powder, then adjusted my crimper stations for the correct crimp. I believe this to be the correct way to approach the problem as I haven't had a blooper with over a thousand rounds and very different ambient temperature ranges.

Mike

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Few of todays target powders require wad pressure. A GOOD, crimp pressure alone is usually enough for most loads with the correct wad to fill the necessary height seated firmly on the powder.

Big Jack

7. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

thanks boys, when i say to get the perfect crimp, i mean i'm very peticular about my crimps, and with fluffy powders like red dot, i can get a very very small improvement on the crimp. but i would agree, most wads will not retain much squeezing down. but checking the wad seat by turning the hull in the seat station is a great idea. thanks for all the great advice. 6FT LEAD.

8. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

My new mec 9000 starts at 30 but it never even gets close to that. I see the needle bump a tiny bit and that does it for me. On my old 650 it starts at 0 and i just touch the 0 when the needle bumps. My friend's loader does not even move the needle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hard togetwad between rammer andguide mec9000