1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Too darn hot to shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

There is agreat shoot in NC this weekend @ Charley Brown's Club. Temps are going to be 98/99 both days with high humidity. Really want to go. Great people, great targets--but I really can't hit anything when all I'm thinking about is how damn hot it is---got the state shoot starting next Wed. & I'm doomed again--its NC & its hot. what do all you great shooters do in these conditions?----Phil

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I shoot. I drink a lot of water, get out of the sun when I can, an hope no one better than me can take the heat.

Neil

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Yeah, but Neil has his own personal umbrella bearer and fanner to stand behind him on the line. It's good to be King.

4. Neil Winston

Well yes of course I do, JB, but then I have to figure in the effect of fanned air on target flight and pattern and all in all I doubt it gets me more than a couple of birds a hundred over the competition.

Neil

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well, a 102 is usually a winning score.

6. Neil Winston

And, JB, you've no idea how much work it was to get into the rulebook!

Neil

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

First off, I'm not a great shooter, but here's what a lot of us do with the heat in California. I plan on doing this before I leave for our State Shoot in Kingsburg, where it is known to be very hot and humid.

Start drinking fluids a week before the shoot. The biggest thing is making sure you're already hydrated before you get there, rather than loading up while you're there. If you think you're thirsty in the heat, it's more than likely too late and you can't make up for dehydration in an hour or so. Take fluids with you that have electrolyte replacements (gatorade, powerade, etc) and of course, water. DO NOT DRINK SODA, as it will make you thirstier. Limit your drinks with sugar and caffeine (if you drink it).

Wear a hat, light clothing and get in the shade (or bring it with you) as much as you can. I bought a hat from Frogtogs last summer that you get wet. Worked wonderfully for hours; I just re-wet it when necessary. Don't forget the sunscreen.

Finally, know the symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke -- it could save your life or someone else's.

Hope this helps.

8. Neil Winston

And here's a heat stroke advisory we pass out at the Grand. Read it.

Neil

9. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I think back to what it was about four months ago and it doesn't seem so bad.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"And here's a heat stroke advisory we pass out at the Grand. Read it"

Is this a run on sentence? Shouldn't there be a period after advisory?

11. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

It will be good practice to deal with the heat in Sparta.

12. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Repeat after me: IT'S NOT GOING TO BE HOT IN SPARTA. IT"s not going to be......

Larry

P.S. Drink lots of water

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Get one of the Frog Togg hats that was mentioned above, they really work. They also have an item like a scarf, you wet it just like the hat, and place it around your neck. You won't believe how much cooler you will feel. I use them for hot summer fishing as well. This is no joke, they really work. They normally sell for around fourteen dollars a piece but are well worth it. You can use them over and over. Jackie B.

14. JPBROWN

JPBROWN TS Member

Take a cooler full of oranges they refresh grapes are good also

15. Neil Winston

No it isn't, JB. If it were, there would a subject for that second verb, i.e. "we pass it out . . ."

It is, granted, an elliptical sentence containing the understood, but omitted, "which," but it's not a run-on sentence (with it's proper hyphenation).

I hope this helps.

Neil

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Well you could be in northern Michigan, I think we have had one day when it got to 70 so far. It's 52 right now.Tulips are still blooming.

17. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Fluids are good. Can't state that enough. Sunscreen is also a must. I keep a bottle of Gatorade in my shooting cart because when it's really hot, sometimes water just isn't enough. Also, when I'm not on the shooting line, I'm standing under a tree in the shade. If there are no trees or shade available, I have a big "golf-type" umbrella in my cart that I use.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I pass out just thinking.

19. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

So let me get this straight. You rub the targets down with sunscreen and soak your shells in Gatorade... Repeat the mantra for the California State Shoot in Kingsburg [temps 110+]: It is a dry heat, it is a dry heat. Fred

20. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

What heat? It dosen't get hot in Fla. Jess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.