1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Critical of the Sport???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cimmaronkid, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Being a newbie,I have noticed that a lot of people on this forum are very critical of the sport and some of its aspects. I think that most of us will agree that we are losing numbers every day by younger shooters not coming in, but every time I go to the range, I see people shooting for the first time. I also see a lot more people showing up for "fun" shoots and shooting the "games".

My question is: What happened to setting the trap once and going out and shooting the targets and not bitching about the presentation. What happened to 3 hole targets? What happened to "owning the target" and not refusing it for some B.S. reason? What happened to helping the scorer watching for breaks?
    I know most of us would bitch if we were hung with a new rope, but what happened to just going out and having fun? Lord knows we can't make any money at this sport, so why not just get to what it was originally designed for which was a good outing with friends and family to enjoy what we like to do. Pat

2. JonP

JonP Member

Hear! Hear! on the Wobble trap - pure fun!

Jon

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First off the sport was not designed to be for fun. It was meant to be a way for men to get togather and pit there ability against the next man. The winner was paid very well. It wasn't about which gun club has the best steak dinner as it is now. I am among the which club has the best steak dinner club so do not get me wrong.
    That said...... There are many people who can't tell a good target from a bad one or a legal target from an outlaw. Until voice pulls came along there was the puller element. We enjoy voice pulls now and the average trapshoter is shoting better then he ever has as a result. Still... You will have people that do not realize that voice pulls will throw targets slow as well. When a person gets a trap like that it can easily be seen on the score sheets of the people that shot that bank of traps. I guess what I am saying is that in a game of perfection you need to have every thing in your favor and be able to shoot. Really indiffrent pulling and odd angles do not unhinge a new shooter the way they do somebody that has been shooting for a while or somebody that is flinchy for some other reason.******************************************
    As far as the traps go .... Keep in mind that if we all shot on the same 4 traps, in the same type of weather and the traps didn't change due to trap deamons.. What you say would be obtainable. Sadly, Most of us don't go to shoots this small and the fact that the guy that shot the bank that I am on and didn't complain about improperly set targets at odd angles has nothing to do with me and my squad when it is time for me to shoot. I will get them reset and give myself and my squad mates the best chance at sucess we can get as their will be somebody on the board that has a topgun score and we want to put ourselves in a position to tie or beat him or her. All this and I don't even play the options and neither do most guys. Jeff

4. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

I remember watching a squad shoot the Oklahoma State shoot in the early 70's and 3 of the men on the squad were Gene Sears, Ray Stafford, and Dan Bonallis. I wish I could remember the other 2 shooters, but they were of the same ability. Targets were bad, being thrown sometimes outside the corners and the wind was causing all kinds of problems along with the fact that the kids on the release were hot and tired. I watched the first 100 birds and not a bird was refused or turned down. I remember that 4 of the 5 broke the 1st 100 straight. No bitching, no resetting the traps, no yelling at the pullers. When done, they went back to the poker game Gene had started.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

We should never critize the sport, but if we want to be critical of it....that's ok!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.