1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Cold to Shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LFT687, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFT687

LFT687 Member

Went to shoot some winter league targets today and there weren't enough shooters to register the targets. It was still only about 18 degrees, maybe felt a little colder with the wind chill early this afternoon. It was probably the coldest day of the season so far here on Long Island. I thought there would be a few more lunatics at the range. After all, it is a winter league!

Dave

2. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Only time not to shoot in Winter is minus degree, whiteout snow and 40 Mph winds other than that beats work any day of the week.

Deb

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I went to a black powder woods walk this morning at Topton gun club, we started a 8:00am and it was 12 deg. Finished at 11:25am and the temp rose to 18 deg, those 3 hours took it's toll on me.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Shot a whopping 25 targets this morning, missed the first one-broke the next 24 and nearly froze my fingers. I don't remember it being that cold ever 30 years ago. So much for circulation in the elderly!!

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

our weather to shoot jackpots today was about 35, but traveling 2 hoours to shoot 50 targets was in my plans.

6. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

At 6AM it was 10degrees. Dropped to 8degrees at 8:30 this morning. I held a Trap machine training course till 9:00. Then started to shoot. Shot two rounds with 7 guys. Froze. PAt-Trap was cold. Dave T.

7. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

My winter league starts this wed nite, We shoot a 8 week event every wed nite under lights,Its in Dutchess County NY, Ive been shooting it for years and some nights are brutal. When i pull into the parking lot and see the flag straight out i say to myself i must be out of my mind! Richie

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

They shot at Lincoln today, but I didn't because I'm straight & hate deer chili.

9. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

It is supposed to be 48 degrees tomorrow, and my buds want to shoot Sporting Clays...way too cold for me.

My trap, skeet, and sporting clays weather "window" is 65-85 degrees...other than that, it is just work.

When I was young, I thought nothing of riding a motorcycle (with no windshield) when it was in the low 20's.

Things change.

bluedsteel

10. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

I'm amused.

shooting in above 0 temps would be awesome

11. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Speaking of younger days, one of the clubs here used to host a childrens' hospital benefit shoot (Pittsburgh) around Christmas time, and we shot that shoot one year with snow flakes so big coming down and fog so heavy that we were lucky to see the targets at all! We were shooting white targets then, and when we shot there were big holes in the snow and fog! It was all in good fun to benefit the kids but days like that were shitty and the guns were all soaked! Took several hours to dry them off and out properly but we had a great time. I think most of the clubs around here have quit for the winter. Too Bad too! I would like to go if I could. I just got a new job too! So I can afford a few rounds now where before I was squeaking to get by.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I went to the pistol range and turned on the heat. When are going to get heat at the trap range? HMB

13. arend003

arend003 Member

In Osceola we have shot below zero, in the snow... always a good time.

14. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

I wish we were so lucky!! Eastern Ontario, Canada - Sunday -26 C (-14.8 F ) We didn"t even plow
    the snow off the range. Only three crazy shot gunners . Just turned up the heat in our scoring building and shot the s--t. Maybe next weekend it might warm up. We often shoot at -10 C. Have FUN !!
    Jim

15. 1st worker

1st worker TS Member

Dave you should have stayed a while longer. Four of us braved the cold and shot Sunday. My scores for the day were in the tank but we shot.

16. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gee! shot pot shoots yesterday, Sunday in shorts and sweatshirt, had to ditch my slaps and put on shoes, slight drizzel a high of 50.

You wonder why all your goofy liberal brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles and friends moved to the west coast... Go figure. You can have them back anytime........

Surfer

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When the temperature drops below 55°F ... I stay at home ... in the house!

18. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Have been shooting here in WI year round for 14 years or so. Couple guys took the Fall league off and I shot a different club. Winter is my favorite league, always dark and mostly no wind. I can deal with the cold, it is the heat that gets to me.

19. open choke

open choke TS Member

LFT....

I went to Yaphank the wind was way worse than when I was home I stood out for a few minutes and watched these 3 guys shoot a round. The birds were all over the place but not impossible. I was gonna shoot a round but then they left so I went home too. I only live 2 exits away so I took a gamble

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

This is my first winter shooting season living outside of the Midwest. Last winter in Michigan was enough to drive me away for good.

74 and sunny when I shot on Sunday...but I had to wait to shoot at every station with all these snow birds showing up to shoot! I'm still not complaining. I'm getting to meet wonderful men and ladies from all over the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.