1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Stewart - Sprint Cup Champion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

One of the greatest races of all time. HOOSIER DADDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blade819

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

He drove a great race. That one move he put on them when 4 wide was awesome.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people aren't Tony Stewart fans and I'm not even a big NAPCAR fan but I am a Tony Stewart fan. As the sprint car technical inspector for Williams Grove Speedway, I've been able to spend some time with Tony when he returns to his dirt track racing roots. He's a real "guy's guy."

My first contact with him was at our scales after a race several years ago. I happened to be walking past as his sprint car was weighing light and he was about to be disqualified. I noticed his right front wheel was not on the scale pad properly, had him pushed off and back onto the scales and he was then legal. He stuck his hand out of his roll cage to shake mine and sought me out the next time he came to the Grove to thank me for being observant.

Kasey Kahne races at the Grove now and then and is a super nice gentleman. And even Kyle Busch has participated in some dirt late model shows at our track and isn't as arrogant as most think. But Tony is just a good old dirt track guy at heart.

Ed

averaged_2008_0303276.jpg

averaged_2008_0303277.jpg

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Tony deserved the championship after winning five of the ten races in the Chase.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

While I've never met Tony, I have met Nelson Stewart during a couple of business meetings. If the fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree, Tony must be one heck of an indivigule.

The hungier driver won the race and the championship. Tony passed the field twice to win and my hat's off to him for a hard fought win!

ss

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Tony had to pass a total of 78 cars during the race. I've always been a Tony Stewart fan but Carl Edwards is a class act also.

7. blade819

I agree with all of you. Being a Hoosier myself I have always admired the grass roots racer from Indiana. I understand that he is a down to earth nice young man. However, once behind the wheel he's a terror. His resume is very impressive and a big favorite of A.J. Foyt.

blade819

8. AveragEd

Here are a few more shots of Tony in a 900-hp, 1,400-pound (with driver) winged sprinter.

averaged_2008_0303278.jpg

averaged_2008_0303279.jpg

And here are two of the non-winged USAC sprinter owned by Tony Stewart Racing and driven by Levi Jones, the USAC champion for the last several seasons.

averaged_2008_0303280.jpg

averaged_2008_0303281.jpg

Now them's REAL race cars!

Ed

9. blade819

That's Racing!!!

blade819

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Interesting that Darian Grubb, the crew chief for Tony Stewart, was told after the Charlotte chase race, that he would not be returning to Stewart-Haas Racing next year. Wonder how that will change after Stewart won the championship?

11. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

DoubleAuto I have heard Grubb will be the director of operations at Stewart Hass racing. But you know how rumors are.

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I must say that that was a first. Tied at the end and Stewart(rightly so) being named champ because of most wins.

I knew when Stewart got out front it was a done deal, as it would have been for Edwards had he made it out front first after the last caution.

The clean air on this car makes a huge differance.

The rest of the field really showed good racing respect for these guys during the race.

These two cars were from another planet, the way they manhandled the field.

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I agree, the field did show a lot of racing respect and let them race. Was little surprised after Tony's win, Darien stood at the pit box holding his son and wife next to him. I think he should be out there with the rest of the crew celebrating etc. Looked like he had to be told to get out there.

14. blade819

I don't know if anyone noticed the banner below "speed channel" reporting. NASCAR is testing cars at Daytona experimenting with the rear air and carb. They reported one car running by itself at 203mph. They are trying to eliminate 3 pak drafting. Wow that would make it almost racing.

blade819

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

either would have been a worthy champion. I was watchin Da Bears.

And I think someone is falling out Hendrick since Kahne is on the way in. Maybe a disposed crew chief. And if Grubb is out, I would bet he'd be back in the Hendrick camp.

It will be interesting who sits at the Head table at the banquet. Too, perhaps Tony will drag in a "looker" to be at his side.

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Cousin Carl did what he needed to do. Tony had nothing to lose. It just shows what these guys can REALLY do when they need to. The worst one out there was a champion somewhere. We have no idea how good they really are!

Love Stewart and think he might be the best pure driver out there. Carl is not far behind. When everything is going right, all these guys can drive. When its not just right the dirt boys that learn slippin and sliding while holding on come to the front!

17. blade819

Tony announced this am on ESPN that Stewart Hass Racing will Fly EVERYONE in the organization and wives to Las Vegas for the Cahmpionship week festivities. 160+ people. What a guy!

blade819

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

From Blade:

I don't know if anyone noticed the banner below "speed channel" reporting. NASCAR is testing cars at Daytona experimenting with the rear air and carb.

"Rear Air and Carb" ?????????????

I know they have been testing the 2012 fuel injection they are using in 2012, but rear air and Carb, what does that mean?

19. blade819

Rear air damper and fuel dispersion system. How's that?

20. AveragEd

Speaking of "lookers," Tony also owns a sprint car driven by Jessica Zemken, with whom he is supposed to have more than an owner-driver relationship.

averaged_2008_0303282.jpg

averaged_2008_0303283.jpg

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trimtab for sprint car