1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomorrow is my first day of retirement!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Tomorrow is my first day of retirement. I have been asked what I intend to do? My answer is "absolutely nothing". For my first day, I plan to sit in a chair, doing nothing. I feel I deserve it after dealing with the public all these years. I need to rest. I don't care about home repairs, don't care about anything. My wife asked me what I intend to do on my second day of retirement? Told her don't care, I will worry about it when the time comes. Do any of you remember what you did on your first day of retirement? All my life I had to worry about everyone else, not tomorrow, it's my day.
    Steve Balistreri

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Good luck Steve, I couldn't just sit there. I haven't had a day of rest since the middle of October when I was done with work.

Ken Cerney

Wisconsin

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Keep in good health and have regular check-ups.

Do the things you like and avoid stress and worry. Be a good husband and companion to your wife.

Caution, after a month or so of retirement, you may start looking for things to do.

Don't die young.

Ed Ward

4. senior smoke

Thanks Ken. I am like a horse, I could probably sleep standing up. While I am sitting in my chair tomorrow I plan to just relax, drink some beer, eat some snacks, and just enjoy it.
    Steve

5. senior smoke

Ed:
    Retirement to me is just that, retirement. The only thing I intend to worry about is if I have enough shells on hand to reload.
    Steve

6. senior smoke

Vern:
    Ok Vern, maybe Oprah.
    Steve

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Steve, I retired 7 years ago thinking I would just be laid back. Retirement turned out to be more active then when I was working.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Retirement is 24/7. Work is 40 hours a week and anything over that is time and a half. Plus you get sick days off with pay and vacation days with pay, and don't forget personal days off and blood days off too. Retirement ain't easy, but, you'll get used to it. HMB

9. senior smoke

My wife said I hope you don't think that all you will be doing is shooting in retirement? My answer was, no. I plan to shoot and reload shells.
    Steve

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Steve, what ever you do, do it with gusto.......lol

Congratulations on reaching retirement. So many don't.

Have a good day, no matter what it brings.

Hauxfan!

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Congratulations!!!

I have 11 years to go for 62, and I'm not looking forward to working to 67 for full retirement. And that assumes Social Security won't be bankrupt by then. Have a pension at work, but my 401K has been plundered to put my son though college, and now my daughter's turn is coming up.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot all day, reload all night. HMB

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Steve, my wife asked me what I was going to do today, I said nothing and she said you did that yesterday, and I told her I wasn't finished

Congrats on the retirement, you deserve it, just don't sit around and get all out of shape like I have

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Steve, What did you do for a living? I think you should write another book? Bill

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Congrats Steve. I retired a year ago last July and the first thing I did was take off my watch and haven't worn one since.

I'll still fill in for some guys on the job sites once and a while. Got a lot of work done around the house but the first thing I noticed is now the wife thinks I have time for more chores around the house. lol Oh, and you'll have to remind her that even though you are retired your pension still contributes to the household finances and you still deserve some spending money. lol

You'll also find that time really flies by now.

Bill

16. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

Hi Steve:

Congrats! You will do just fine. I worked for GM for 39 years, most of the time as a Tool & Die Maker. I worried about retirement for 5 years before doing it at the beginning of 2000. I then worried about it for 2 days, before saying "all right, I'm going to slip into this just fine" an did. Now I make empties, 12 guage & 12 ounce! I also make lots of sawdust in my wood working shop. Hang in there! Wayne Downham / Camden, IN

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Congratulations, Steve. Good for you!

-Gary

18. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Steve,

Best wishes for all the days ahead. Shoot as much as you want, but find somethig that you like to keep from feeling like a has been,

I turned 80 last week and am still plugging away at being a scientist. 18 years ago I retired as Technical Director of a 10 billion dollar a year consumer products corporation. None of my friends who retired with me are still alive, it's tough to go from the fast lane to a dead stop. I was fortunate to have some new science thrust upon me and I'm hoping to ease up at 85.

You've had a great track record, use your skills in a way that makes you happy.

Best,

Dr. Hank Cross III
    Executive VP, Research & Development
    Bite Tech Inc.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Steve good luck and congratulations you've made it. Now enjoy it no matter what comes along. You know they say life is like a roll of toliet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes. At least you will enjoy it.
    I'm pushing 64. Want to make 65 before I do it. Have fun. B12

20. senior smoke

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I use to be in banking. Over the years I have done almost every job that a bank had to offer. I remember the first day I started, when a 87 year old board of director gave me some advice which I remembered everyday that I went to work. He said "almost all banks, credit unions, saving and loans, offer the same services and interest rates. The only difference is service. Treat your customers the way you would expect someone to treat you and your customers will be coming back to see you". Best advice I ever received, and I wish all business today would feel that same way. Those were the days, when I could agree to a home loan on a hand shake. When a customer was laid off and he came in and gave me his word that he would pay us back once he was called back to work. We would shake hands and the customer kept his word. Nothing nicer then when a good customer and a banker that knew each other trusted each others word on a handshake.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.