1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Wilkinson

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-EIGHTY, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Has anyone had their barrels done by Tom Wilkinson? If so, what exactly did he do? He has a legendary reputation, and I'm trying to figure out what he does that is so special. To get the best results from him, do you have to go with his chokes?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to have him "tune" your barrel? Say just single.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought a gun that had been done by Wilkinson, I checked the bore which was opened up compared to the Perazzi big bore (.736) now (.742) and the choke was .035 restriction (fixed choke) ... I am not big on patterning guns for anything other than point of impact (POI) and to see the hot spot and get a general idea of the over all pattern ... I shot it several times at a grease sheet for the POA/POI and have to tell you that I was impressed with the results of the pattern that was obvious ... There did not seem to be a hot spot but more so a dense more even pattern than you would normally get even if it was on paper as if that would matter ... In conclusion I would have to say whatever he does works, now I have to get that pattern where the targets are when the targets are there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I purchased a used gun that had barrel work done by Wilkinson. I have patterned the gun at 30 yards on several occasion, and the results are wonderful. Extremely uniform shot distribution with both a light modified choke and a light full choke. If I ever purchase a new Trap Gun I would give full consideration to having him due the barrel if required.

5. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

If you would like to find out a little more information, check out the link named "Forcing Cone Test" on the above URL. You can read a paper written by Jim Eyster named "Forcing Cone Alteration and its Effect on Shotgun Pattern Performance©."

Enjoy,
    TNCoach

6. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

He did my K-80 "heavy" barrel. Very happy with my smoke now. I'm sending him my Superposed next. All of these are fixed choke.

7. pdq

pdq Member

Improves patterning, and can fit screw-in flush mounted (almost invisible) choke tubes.

Beautiful work.

Pete

8. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

TNCoach,

Thanks for the info. Great paper.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I read the "forcing cone test" and there is not much there. There is no difference in the PE before and after. The claim is improved pattern but there is not much difference there either. He used factory shells with no mention of counting the pellets in the shells which skews the results. The source is also biased.

10. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

You will never find a bad Wilkinson barrel, they all pattern great and shoot where they should.

Ken Jeffries

11. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

Toms done barrel work on 2 of my guns...outstanding....both back bored..one with his choke tubes....My Ljutic barrel was a little over $400...then add the shipping and insurance..Tom need the complete gun...set my POI just like my MX8..

Outstanding

Dave Eslinger

12. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

13. leadingedge

leadingedge Active Member

Tom did my 34" MX-10 O/U with his choke tubes. I would highly recommend him for any and all barrel work. I shoot this gun for all the disciplines and have great results with it.

Darrell Farr

14. LAD39

LAD39 Member

I had k80 barrel that I destroyed choke tube in. Sent barrel to Tom he managed to save the barrel. I will always be thankful to him for that. Bob Presto

15. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

Up for more comments.

16. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I have had Tom do all my barrels for about the last 20 years. I have purchased two combo sets in that time, one a Perazzi, one a K-80 trap special. Both guns were sent to Tom before I ever saw them. He has done a Browning O/U and a Model 12 for me also, these he added Delron (sp) ribs, to get one to shoot lower and the other to shot higher.

All work was perfect, exactly what I asked him to do, and I know shotguns.

Tom Strunk

17. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I'm having my O/U K-32 30 Inch barrels sent to him in April. My issue is that I have a 34 inch unsingle that shoots great and where I look, it is kinda effortless to shoot. The O/U bottom barrel shoot pretty good for first shot in doubles but the top shoot way to flat. I find myself having to really work and not just look and shoot. So, I will set the unsingle for where I look/shoot at 16 then ship him the whole gun. He will bend the barrels and I think do some back boring. The end result is that both O/U barrels will shoot where I look as set by my comb and POI for the unsingle.

18. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

I just checked the numbers from that forcing cone test cited above; the differences between the "before" and "after" results are not statistically significant to the common 95% confidence level. For the shot to shot variation experienced and the small differences between the average values, you'd need to do something like 40 patterns of each to be confident the data were genuinely different. Of course, after 2x40 pattern tests you might find they were still indistinguishable (statistically speaking).

Just for the record, I think forcing cones will have an affect, but it will be very very small. I could never justify the time and effort to try and detect such a small difference.

Andrew.

19. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

20. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I was handed a 303 with wilkinson barrel work, moneymaker rib and a custom stock, and asked to try it out.

I smoked 23 targets and then tried to move off the target a little chipped the 24th and moved farther off target and missed the 25th.

If I could find that gun now I would buy it. Probably one of the top five handling shotguns that I have ever shot. Last I heard it was sold to a man in the southeastern U.S.

Wish I could find it........

Wilkinson's work when measured doesn't seem to be anything special BUT it sure the hell is special. He knows more than many others will ever figure out.

JMHO

Philip Santos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can tom wilkinson put choke tubes in a gun that already has them
tom wilkenson bt-99 to shoot lower

tom wilkinson barrels

tom wilkinson choke tubes
tom wilkinson custom chokes
tom wilkonson barrel