1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Wilkinson choke work

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scott Johnson, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

I see that a lot of All Americans and top end shooters have choke work done by Tom Wilkinson. Obviously he does great work, can anyone fill me in on anything they have had done and roughly, "what does it cost"?
    What is your opinion. Scott

2. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I have had several guns worked over by Tom. The most recent gun I got back a few weeks ago, now grant you I shoot 1 1/4oz pigeon loads, I had patterned this set of barrels before sending out. The bottom barrel was 20thou and I wasn't happy with the tightness of that barrel, 20 thou in a Perazzi barrel throws some unreal even patterns. The top barrel was 41 thou shot the RST 3 1/4dr and Remington Flyer load OK but un-even. These bores were .724 so Tom backbored them, forcing cones lengthend, threaded the bottom barrel. He made 3 chokes, 24thou, 26thou and 28thou. The top barrel was cut to 39thou and throws a very even pattern with RST 3.5 dram 7.5 loads.

There will be some on here that claim it's a waste of money. To me it's worth it since I have the before and after patterns. Plus I know have squeaked everything I can out of there barrel. Then there's the "when you go to sell that gun" you won't get your money out of it. In the end does it really matter as long as your happy. He's a wonderful guy to work with, timely turn around, I just wish he worked on 28ga. Cost is 400 per barrel but I had several chokes made so it was 900 for the job with shipping.

3. Butler

Butler TS Member

you can"t go wrong with Tom Jim Butler

4. Scott Johnson

Thank you sir, reason I asked was I have a fixed full .040 constriction barrel in an un-single that I made the 27 yard line with, so selling it is not an option. I may be just spinning my wheels, but I hear a lot of good things about Tom, just was curious as to cost and performance. Scott

5. Scott Johnson

Toms, phone number?
    Is this the famous bird crushing All American Jim Butler of Wyoming fame? Thanks Scott.

6. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

919-603-0167- You will like his work. He has done several barrels for me and they came out great. Roy

7. Scott Johnson

thanks Roy

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Yes, that was THE Jim Butler. World famous bird crusher. Actually not a bad guy.

Rick in MT

9. Scott Johnson

I met Jim at the Mondamtana state shoot, dam nice guy, and a coyote killing machine sounded like. We watched him shoot in Vernal on Kiners squad also, Jim is post # 1 just like Rick, who is suppose to be working...........Scott
    Nice shooting at Zone Jim.

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I was working while you were still lying next to "betty"

Rick in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.