1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Tom Wilkinson barrel work why

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by A CHANCE, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A CHANCE

A CHANCE TS Member

How does it improve your gun

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Who shall be first? Truth be told, no one knows that will tell. From what I know it is the confidence that it builds in the shooter that has had his/her bbl worked on by Wilkinson.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

He can change POI, and he tunes your Barrell to your shells and corrects Bbl uniformity, All guns Bbls are not perfect.

Seitz, Bowen, Infinity, Alferman are in adifferent class and are not a Mass Produced Guns.

If you want to be the best you have to have the best producing equipment, and have them PERFECTIONIZED like Blue Printing An Engine for top performance as an example. That is where every cylinderhead's combustion chamber has the same CCs, The Rods are the same length and weight, the Deck height is the same.
    Ignition Timing is the same degree on every cylinder.

On a shotgun the trigger pull/release is at what the shooters likes, POI is where he wants it, The pattern is tuned to best percentage for a perticular shell.The harmonics of the Bbl are tuned. Bbls are Cryogenically treated.
    Comb adjustments are checked, Pad adjusters, Stock Lock Sysyems are added.

I know I missed some but these are from my memory and knowledge of 41 years of shooting.

Bueford Bailey from Big Springs Nebraska shot a 32 inch Bbl Model 12 if my memory serves me correctly.

Al Ljutic put a Ljutic in the hands of Dan Orlich.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

He charges a lot of money, so he must be good. LOL

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Call him up and talk to him. It wouldn't hurt if you had an idea what you want him to do for you. If you don't know, you just saved yourself a phone call. It kind of boils down to giving yourself the best chance with a particular gun of breaking the most targets. If you can already run 'em with your current setup, Tom probably can't help you much, and you just saved $4-500. There's probably several guns out there that wouldn't benefit from Tom's handiwork, but if you're like me, you'll never be lucky enough to find(or afford) one. GL.

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Ask Mr. Bob Munson winner of this year's GAH from 27 yards.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Who tuned Leo's barrels?

8. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

He did Harlan Campbell barrels...

9. happy

happy Member

It works don't ask why just accept the results

10. KRK32

KRK32 TS Member

Does wilkinson make his chokes tight to keep them uniform or can you tell him you would like it comparable to say a modified. My buddy shoot partner has a ks5 with a .038 restriction wilkinson barrel Thats why i ask. Kirk

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

A Chance, if you are happy with how your barrels and chokes perform, leave them alone. If they are not up to snuff, Wilkinson, Allor or Eyster will make them so for between $350 and $400 per tube.

I know that Wilkinson will ask you for a box or two of your reloads, but he also shoots premium factory when patterning. The Wilkinson barrel I owned shot everything well.

Unlike my previous combo, my current combo was a disaster, patterning-wise. I sent the barrels to Kerry Allor, who measured them, called me to tell me why they were not patterning well, and then fixed them. BTW, he shot Nitro 27s, Gold Medal Light Handicap and AA shells through my barrels while testing. He will tell you which performed better if you ask.

I have not owned an Eyster tuned barrel, but I have friends who do, and they are very pleased.

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

Is MoneyMaker Guncraft, Omaha, in the same class as these other barrel guys....???

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

I only owned one Moneymaker barrel a big bore of theirs with the 10 gage barrel on a 12 gage chamber with Briley choke tubes. I have to say it was one of the best barrels I ever shot for pattern but better yet it was just a target crunching machine on a Beretta 303. I also have a Stan Baker tuned Barrel on a 1100 that is superb also it was a factory barrel he did his tune up on with his chokes. There is a difference with a tuned barrel by a good barrel smith IMHO but if my barrels pattern well and shoot well I just leave them alone. I also think different choke tubes and manufactures make a difference in patterns trial and error on the tubes is the only way.

14. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I have had 4 or 5 guns done by Tom and the patterns where excellent after his work, I feel his work is the best you can buy. Bill Parker-Maryland.

15. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I cannot find any info, i.e. website regarding specifics of Wilkinsons' barrel work. Anyone have his info or link to pass along ? Thanks,.......Rob

16. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Pheasant, Look in August Trap & Field page 86. He doesn't have a website.
    Phone: 919-603-0167
    I'm very happy with his work!
    Cliff

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a moneymaker high rib barrel on a 303 that is the best target smoker and pattern I have ever shot. That said, Tom is very good and has the track record to prove it. Kerry Alor is also one of the best

18. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

19. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

I had a Ljutic that shot at 5 o'clock. I sent it to Tom Wilkinson with a
    pattern sheet and the shells I was using. The gun came back as promised
    and shot great. I would not hesitate to send him another gun. Be sure to
    fully explain what you want to accomplish.

He doesn't have a website, his phone is 919-603-0167. Hope this helps.

20. steele

steele TS Member

I had TW install his chokes tubes on my Seitz. He made them .035 & .025 constriction. I patterned both tubes & was flat out amazed how consistant the pellet holes were dispersed. It was like someone took dividers & put a mark every inch or so apart. No hot centers, no flyers, perfect elevation & windage. Quality is priced accordingly. If you pay peanuts, you might get monkeys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
eyster barrel work
eyster or wilkonson

tom wilkinson barrels

wilkinson barrel

wilkinson barrel work

wilkinson barrels