1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Strunk Drag racing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Race Artist, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Race Artist

Race Artist TS Member

Greetings,
    I came across the thread about Tom Strunk's and Hayden Proffitt drag racing. The three photographs and information were quite interesting. I'm a motorsports artist and racing historian. I'd like to communicate with Tom and anyone else that has early sixties S/S-F/X drag racing information, personal racing snapshots and photographs. I maintain research notebooks that I use for my artwork and assisting authors of history on the above subjects.
    Please contact me via private email racenart@optonline.net
    Thank you.
    Joel F. Naprstek
    www.JFNStudios.net

2. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Race Artist My dad a owned a AMC car dealership in Minnesota. Back in 1968 when Hayden Proffitt switched to American Motors in order to drive the Grant Rebel SST X/S drag car. Basically a funny car the Grant rebel and Hayden went on tour of 40 cities were it exhibited in American Motors showrooms between races.

I have a picture of Hayden Proffitt wearing his fire suit and displaying his helmet with his autograph and a good luck to my dad. All in ink pen. The second photo is of the car staged in front of the tower at a drag strip ready to launch. I am assuming this drag strip was in California. Great photo of the car. On the back of both photos it tells the history of the car and Hayden.

After all these years I am going to frame these photos. If you like I would try to copy these and send you a copy.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Toms in Orange,CA and will return home in a few days. He'll respond then.

Hap

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I am too involved with my wife's pending surgery to respond. She will have a 7 hour surgery on her spine in six days.

Tom Strunk

5. white rattler

white rattler Member

Tom, I wish you both all the luck in the world. Trevor Dawe.

6. f18

f18 Member

I had a friend in the early 60's and 70's that rased SS/FX this was a dodge called the Hair Bender out of Sioux Falls,SD. Great car in it's day.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Best of luck Tom. You've got a lot on your plate. I hope you didn't get hurt with the weather last week. God Bless, and keep looking forward. Bob

8. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Here is a AMC funny car that ran out of the Champaign-Urbana area. The owner is still doing well and building race engines. The only bad thing is they switch to dirt track racing.

9. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Another picture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.