1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TOM SIETZ BARRELS???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap2, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I am curious about what those of you that are shooting, or have shot, Sietz barrels think of their performance. The reasoning here is this: I have shot a lot of different barrels done by some of the biggest names in the business. Some shot well, and others shot really well. That being said, I recently acquired a set of MX3 Special barrels for my combo that were done by Tom. The single is bored to .734 with a .700 choke (.034"). The O/U barrels are bored to .736" with a .716" choke (.020") and a .706" choke (.030"). All barrels are ported, and stamped CC Sietz. These barrels are, without a doubt, the nicest shooting barrels I have ever shot, period!! They are not only very soft shooting, they literally hang dust in the air, especially from long yardage, when I do my part. Is it just me? Is it just this set of barrels, or do all Sietz barrels (in general) give this type of performance? I am so impressed with these barrels that I am breaking up a perfectly good, factory stock, MX3 Special set, and am going to have Doug Braker fit the Sietz barrels to my receiver... How do the rest of you feel about Tom's barrels?... Thanks.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan.. I had similar results with a MX8 I bought..I never noticed the markings on the rib..but the combo came in a real expensive case.. both triggers..and in really nice shape.. Pat Laib was the dealer I shipped to.. and AFTER the deal was done..in casual conversation..mentioned he saw the stamp.. Hind sight is always 100%..I think he did great barrelwork.. regardless of what some non believers think.. All Good.. Mike

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Dan, I have had the good fortune to have had Tom's barrel work along with many barrels by Tom Wilkinson, always outstanding patterns, always great breaks, to the shooters who have not had the luxury of their expertise, I will say without malice, don't knock it if you are not a 27 yard shooter, you will notice the quality of the breaks instantly. incinerate em!

4. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

I have been shooting my mx3 special with Wilkinson barrels and it SMOKES targets from the 16yd to the 27yd, perfict pattern!!!! I now am the proud owner of #625 Silver Seitz with #1 rib, and the breaks are soo hard it almost scares me. You won't be disapointed with either one, but Tom sure knew what he was doing!!!! Bob Murray

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"hanging dust" is a product of dense center core. perazzi 18.4 bbls are thre best dense center core bbls i know. the difference in the seitz and your stock bbls is weight and balance. you prefer to shoot slightly quickr bbls that match your precision trigger delay. nothing more. count pellets and get back to us.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

MIA,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "precission trigger delay?" Also, never heard of Perazzi 18.4 barrels. I purchased a Perazzi single barrel way back when they came in a pine box with a big-fat fore end.Was that an 18.4 barrel? It smoked targets like nothing I ever saw.

Best regards,

miltie

7. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

I'm not one who believes in Voodoo or magic but I have a TM1 with barrel by Tom Seitz. I don't shoot much any more but I have never had a gun that breaks targets so well. Like Dan says, "leaves dust hanging".

You'll get my Seitz barrel when they pry my cold, well, you know what I mean.

Snookassassin, Clif Adams

8. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a Seitz worked MX3 and it leaves the most amazing breaks, not a huge amount of smoke, but is completely destroys the target, and leaves the little dome flying off erratically.

I don't shoot the gun much anymore, shoots too flat.

9. bdshooter

bdshooter Member

I have a set of MX3 barrels done by my late friend Tom Seitz that will break targets like no tomorrow. I had 4 guns done by Tom, I wish I had them today. Did Great barrel work and a Great man was Tom Seitz. Mark Johnson

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jack, Hanging dust is a product of a good centered shot. I patterned my Seitz before it went to Tom Wikinson. When it came back from Tom, the pattern was definitely more even and less "core". I should have taken pictures of both patterns and posted them. It was noticeable. The Seitz will smoke targets from the 27 despite moving pellets out of the core. Knowing your barrel is tuned gives the shooter a bit more mental confidence in his gun/load combination.

If anyone is planning to send a barrel to Tom, shoot it on paper before you send it, and check the pattern when it returns. At 30 yards, you should have a 20"-22" pattern w/ a full Choke. Then please post both pictures.

Tom had told me that there are some barrels that are great out of the factory, and he may not be able to improve them much. If that is the case, he will send them back at no charge, except shipping. Tom W.is one of the good guys.

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

setterman. precisely. could not agree more wholeheartedly. seitz was pretty much a .735/.033 kind of guy. i definitely buy into the pattern difference.

milt. the lighter the bbl the slower the trigger seems. all releases have a hesitation or delay be it short or long. the quicker the bbl gets to the bird the slower the trigger will feel. the converse is true as well.

i shoot stock .725 and add 3 ounces of lead to the bbl, effectively slowing the bbl and functionally making the trigger seem faster.

precision's 80/32 is average. and Dan-o likes the coordination of bbl weight and trigger speed.

no argument from me on Wilkinson. eyster prob copies seitz as close as any.

hanging dust is a product of dense center core. good solid breaks a product of good pellet disbursement.

12. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

The Man did some good work!

Aaron Holguin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.