1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Roster - he KNOWS an important secret ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by foghorn220, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Sportshot:

No you got me there never heard of him of course im not a sporting clays shooter but I have done it years ago but it didn't float my boat.

by the way I bet some other trap shooters that visit this web site probably never heard of him either and im sure if some one post's something about a famous Skeet shooter guru on here then im sure I wouldn't have the Foggiest ideal of what was being talked about.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/cartoon/lonny%20tunes/?action=view┬Ąt=acmeallpurposefarmimplement.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foghorn

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Sportshot

I doubt that but if I am wrong then I won't be ashamed to admit it.

I noticed he wrote for Field and Stream I think but so far in my search I can;'t find Trap & Field but then again I hadn't searched very much since I should had been in bed 3 hours ago but since im in diapers as you said then let me ask you this question if you do work at all and if so then what is you maxium hours that you will work at your job.

And by the way I have never seen you on here until recently so don't give me this crap about replying to stuff to hear my self talk I don;'t like the way I sound anyway in real life so I don't just talk out my AS** just to be doing so.

So C.C. please post more secret's for us to learn from im all Ear's

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/people/ODD%20People/?action=view&current=ears.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tom Roster
    Remington Field Coordinator
    Ballistics Editor, Sporting Clays magazine
    Shot Talk Editor, Shooting Sportsman magazine
    Shooting Editor, Waterfowl Hunter magazine

Foggy

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Sportshot:

Ok please tell me and the others that read your first post ok did you delete stuff from it because it looks a lot different now because if it looked like that while I was posting to you then im sure I would have had a different reply.

Anyway im got to go to bed while my diapers are still dry because I got to go to work in 3 hours for many ,many hours in a row just because I want to and not because I was asked to but I like to work and also can work for at least 16 hours straight before I have to change my Diapiers.

Foggy

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok im still up but going to tun the mechanical device off in 3 minutes ok got a watch with a up to date minute and second and on it.

Foghorn

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom Roster is an established author for outdoor magazines. He is not well known in trapshooting circles and he does not address his work to trapshooting. I know it is unfair for me to pick out one error in a story and let that cast doubt on everything else in the story, but I can't help myself.

The idea of a company like Remington purchasing a lead mine to bring down the cost of shot makes no economic sense.I can see very many tax implications with one corporation showing a loss because it is selling to another corporation at below market prices when both corps are owned by an umbrella corporation. Also, if Remington would offer lead shot at below the market value, I would buy everything produced and sell it on the market the same day. I would never see a bag of shot but I would see money transfered in and out of my commodity account and I would not care what the price of lead actually is, all that would interest me is the difference between my buy and sell price. Lead can be loaded on a train or ship and be sold several times while in transit.

There are several somewhat viable alternatives to lead shot for hunters who might shoot a flat of shells each year. Nothing looms in the immediate future for trapshooters who shoot a hundred flats of shells per year.

Pat Ireland

6. claysetc

claysetc TS Member

Maybe Tom has found a way to turn Gold into Lead.

7. m70win

m70win Member

There can only be one top Roster in the barn yard and I vote for Foghorn.

Tim

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I think Foggy was in diapers at least 4 or 5 decades ago so the guy had better been writing for a long time. Bill

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Been shooting and reading for over 40 years so put me down as an "ingnorant" along with old foggy! Course, I have several friends who already call me ingnorant! Never heard of this guru but will try to now follow him as I enjoy all! Thanks Sporty! Tom Rhoads

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Roster's OK. Far, far better than many. Lou Byk was very good and Larry Starret terrific, but now the standard has so slipped there's little worth reading. Gun tests are just promotions and reloading articles no more a list of loads already available in guides for no cost.

Tom will test loads in a pressure gun for a price and that's a service which can do some good; I think he did Joe Kuhn's steel shot wad pressure testing and saved his club a lot of worry and perhaps danger.

Neil

11. tulsey

tulsey Member

Tom Roster has been around several years. He has done many Wildlife Department clinics around the county showing people how to use steel shot. I went to one he did here on steel shot and hunting. Many of his articles have been about non-toxic as in non-lead loading. He also wrote many articles about the use of buffer in loading. Back in the begining of steel shot reloading, his recipes were the loading data included in the NTSC or whatever it was reloading kits. He has written several books on Shotgun performance including topics like , loading, barrels, chokes. His work might have been considered more pointed toward hunters which might explain why some dedicated trap shooters are not familiar with him. Not having read the article mentioned, I wonder if there is some material being looked at to replace lead for target shot. With the cost of lead and the cost of lead clean up, I suspect there is a lot of research going on for something that will break targets at lower cost and more green so to speak so clubs will have less enviromental concerns to worry about.

12. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Tom Roster is a very well known shotgun ballistics expert and consultant. He currently has a column in Shooting Sportsman Magazine.

A lot of his time and efforts have been devoted to optimizing hunting loads, although he's certainly done a ton of research and writing concerning target loads.

He has published a very excellent 70 page booklet on modifications to shotgum barrels that contains a wealth of knowledge for those of us who like to have our barrels tinkered with. It's called, Tom Roster's Shotgun Barrel Alteration Manual.

13. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I first started reading columns by Tom Roster in 1978 or 1979. He had a regular column in "The American Shotgunner", covering reloading. Tom was ahead of his time when it came to reloading. When a bag of shot was creeping up to $25 a bag in the early 80's, I recall reading an article by Tom on his 1 ounce loads, and later on his 7/8 ounce loads.

The American Shotgunner had regular columns, like Reloading by Tom Roster, Trapshooting by Daro Handy, Skeet by Robert Paxton and others. Recently I was moving around some old magazines. I still have some issues of American Shotgunner from the early 80's. I couldn't locate it, but I know its in a box in the back of a shelf, but the article he wrote on reloading 7/8 oz. was an eye opener to me back then.

Bill Radwan

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Remington was simply used as an example of a shell manufacturing company. The reference was to part of the original post on this thread where it was mentioned that a shell manufacturing facility was looking at purchasing a mine.

Pat Ireland

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

flincher100:

Huh Im not understanding what you are saying anyway I wasn't critisizing anyone I said I never heard of Tom Roster from the trap and field magazine but I didn't subscribe to it for a few years so maybe he did write stuff for it.

Also Sport shot done some editing then deleting so I might just delete my stuff also since im not the originator of the thread.

but probably won't.

Also I might have to read some articles that Tom has wrote he sounds like a good guy to learn stuff from.

So once again if im ignorant for what I said then so be it, but did you read all of sport shot's post I was just replying to him because he seemed liked that everyone on here should had knowed him but if I was a sporting clays shooter then im sure I would had.

Foggy

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I read about Tom Roster over thirty years ago. We loaded our ten gauges with a load of his design with "kwick zert plastic shot protector with plastic shot buffer along with a plastic gas seal and the alcan fiber wads with a center punched out of one of them as to buffer the shock upon firing. We got unbelievable patterning out of of our 12 gauge loads at 70 yards with his recipe too. All this was before "premium" loads were available.

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Tom wrote very informative articles in Skeet Shooting Review about reloading . About 15 years worth if I remember correctly. Amazing what is out there to learn from different shooting disciplines. Jeff

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sportster: You are a little to sensitive for this site. Maybe when you grow up you can come and impart some of your knowledge. So someone doesn't know who Tom Roster is and says so(BFD) and you act like a 6 year old and erase your posts. You then start name calling one of the nicer shooters on this site. Maybe you had better set back and observe for a while because if you aren't man enough to post and leave it then maybe you shouldn't post in the 1st place.

Personally I don't know the man and don't really care as he has no affect on my shooting.

Don

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Tom Roster was a pioneer in buffer waterfowl loads, did much of the early testing on steel shot. He and Bob Brister studied shot strings and patterns extensively. He engineered loads that would put most pellets in a 30 in. circle with 1-1/8 oz. shot than factories loads would with 1-1/4. He was one of the first to use 1 oz. target loads extensively. He wrote for Skeet Review, American Shotgunner, and many hunting mags. Many refered to him as Mr.Reloading. In the past several years he has written articles on steel/Bismuth loading for waterfowl publications. I'm supprised Foggy never heard of him, but what difference does it make? Foggy is seems to be a pretty good guy and if he is OK with my Buddy Shadow, he has to be a pretty good egg!

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Seems a few "experts" have gotten a little testy about their lack of knowledge on Tom Roster? He was a leader in waterfowl loads in ther early 80's. At one time he was more well known than Brister. Thank's Slide action and Sportshot.
    He was/is an expect on shotgun pattern performance. Just never blew his own horn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
tom roster 28 gauge loads
tom roster buffered shotshell recipes
tom roster on chronographing a shotgun
tom roster reloading
tom roster reloading articles
tom roster reloading manual
tom roster shooting

tom roster shooting tips