1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Batt & his 56" barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Bat was or is a 27 AA shooter from a wheelchair. He could barely move. He shot from the hip didn't, couldn't shoulder the gun. He was amazing to watch. Haven't seen him shoot since the grand was the GRAND. He belongs in the HOF. If he is still shooting you should make it a must to go watch. Bat my hat is off to you.

2. f18

f18 Member

Tom Batt & his 56

I shot with him at a PVA shoot in South Dakota,good shot good person.
    mick

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Watched him many times at Vandalia. Very good shot and amazing he could shoot the way he did w/ such success.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Watched him many a times at the Grand. Never knew his name but I remember the long barrel. I didn't see him miss many. Good shot.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Tom Batt & his 56

Is this the guy that used a mirror to look down the barrel. There was a guy in Pa. that did that. Bulge.

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Tom Batt & his 56

No mirror for Bat, told me he used trig to form his sight plane, or something like that. He was shooting a L gun at the time.

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Tom Batt & his 56

I remember Mr. Batt.

He was on the Squad in front of mine in one of the singles event at the 1994 Grand in Vandalia.

When I arrived at the my assigned trap, & saw his gun, the first thing that came to mind was "Why would some one park a broom in the Gun rack?"

Turned out too be Mr. Batt's Gun...As I recall the went 100 straight.

8. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Tom Batt & his 56

I remember Mr. Batt.

He was on the Squad in front of mine in one of the singles event at the 1994 Grand in Vandalia.

When I arrived at the my assigned trap, & saw his gun, the first thing that came to mind was "Why would some one park a broom in the Gun rack?"

Turned out too be Mr. Batt's Gun...As I recall the went 100 straight.

9. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tom Batt & his 56

I watched BAT shoot many times at the PA State shoot and at the Grand. He shot from a wheel chair and placed the butt of the gun on his belt buckle area--if you can get the picture! The muzzle of the 5 foot ling barrel was held at eye level. He was amazing. He was from the Bedford area of Pa. I believe. He lived and worked out of a conversion van that he parked right near the trap line. I also recall a younger Asian "wife" who would assist him. I have not seen him in 6-8 years! I suspect he is not shooting or it not with us any longer.

10. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Bats van was always parked in the same place. He had a spot right behind the trap line kinda right out from the east end of the locker bldg. His van had at least 12 mirrors on the front, couldn't turn his head much so needed all the mirrors. Anybody know if Bat is still with us? Does he still shoot?

11. gwsaucedo

gwsaucedo TS Member

Tom Batt & his 56

I remember watching him shoot at Vandalia. He could sure hang smoke with that gun and I remember admiring his ability. Thanks for reminding me of this determined, gritty shooter. Greg Saucedo

12. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Gentlemen,

Bat is a live and well as he can be, is not able to shoot Trap any more due to Severe Arthritis, poor eye sight and Diabetes.

He lives in Greenville PA. with his wife Rose, still works on guns for close buddies and still has a never say die attitude, the last time he shot was the 05 Grand @ Vandalia.

I am priviledged to call him my friend, since meeting him @ the 96 Grand myself and a couple other Aussies were fortunate to shoot every Grand @ Vandalia with him until 05.

We visited him at Greenville in 06 and he accompanied us to the 06 PA State shoot and showed us around the place.

He is an amazing man, has an attitude towards life like you would not believe, during a night out for supper I notice the grip of a revolver in his pouch hanging on the side of his wheelchair, I asked what caliber it was, he answered a 45, I asked why a 45 his answer because they ain't invented a 46.

He still has his long barrelled smoke pole as he calls it, at the 99 Grand I asked why the elastic band around his forend, in his dry humour he replied so I know this is my gun.

His actual name is Mr Bat (Robert) Thomas, the Trapshooting community is not quite the same since he hung up the "smoke pole".

I still keep in close contact with him via e-mail and phone and will let him know you guy's still remember him, he will get a kick out of that.

"Release Trigger".... Gary Kennerson 96 05145...Downunder.

PS. He used to bring a thermos of home brewed coffee to the Grand every morning so he and I could share a quite moment together and enjoy his special coffee, man was it strong, you nearly needed a knife and fork to get through it, I cherish these memories.

13. notarget

notarget TS Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Best wishes to him. I watched in amazement as he shot singles at the '94 Grand. I did not see him miss a target.

14. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

Tom Batt & his 56

How about some pictures?? Lester

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tom Batt & his 56

See if you can post his e-mail address so we can send him a hello. Dave

16. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Gents,

Here are a couple of photo's of the "Bat-mobile" note all the mirrors, Bat users all of them to reverse park and so on.

Since meeting Bat in 96 not once have I ever heard a complaint come from his lips, a more positive man you could never meet, a broad smile and "Gidday mates" greets us every morning.

I will try to post some past Grand photos as and when I get permission from the man himself (and if I can find them, have changed computers and not sure where I filed them).

Release.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Tom Batt & his 56

I too remember Bat from Vandalia. After being introduced to him one year, I always made it a point to seek him outr and say hello. He was always friendly and seemed to appreciate attention politely rendered.

Please tell him that we remember him well and that we miss him and wish him well.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Tom Batt & his 56

The 56" barrel was for singles. His handicap barrel was over 60".

19. neofight

neofight TS Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Nice thread. Bat sounds like the kind of guy all of us would like to know. I wish him well.

20. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Tom Batt & his 56

Gents,
    I have been in contact with Bat and he is tickled pink that you guys still remember him and are inquiring about his wellbeing.

Below are a series of photos from Vandalia from the early 2000's.

Bat always demanded to clean our guns properly before the long flight home, in the two photos of him on the line if you look closely you can see the "Elastic band" on his forend I spoke about earlier.

The one with the other wheelie shooter is Ray Pumel from Nebraska, behind Ray is Don Brown of Illinois and behind Bat is my Aussie mate John Crompton.

I am the over size guy in the red behind Bat with John.

The one of Bat by himself is with his doubles gun (Ljutic, weighing in at approx 25-28 pound, the stock is all brass barrels are 44 inch).

Release..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.