1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tolerable groups for a hunting rifle????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Usemeasapunchingbag, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usemeasapunchingbag

Usemeasapunchingbag TS Member

Heading out Friday for the hunt of my life . Yep 7,000 acre farm set up for folks like me with disablities to be able to hunt from lifts with size limits for the bucks. Has been a managed farm for large bucks for a few years. Guys i never thought i would have this chance again. Anyway yesterday i pulled out the old 243 loaded up some 95 grain Noslers Partitions . About the best i could get out of this gun with these bullets minute of angle groups. I'm heading in the woods with this load but limiting myself to 200 yards.In todays hunting guns what is good groups with hunting bullets???

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've shot a fair number of Mile Deer and Pronghorns with a 6 mm Remington loaded with 95 and 100 grain Nosler Partitions. The 6 mm is just a little hotter than a .243, but functionally the same. My longest measured shot (with a laser rangefinder) was just under 320 yards. One MOA is plenty good enough for deer sized game out to 300+ yards, since the kill area with a center chest hold is at least 9" in diameter.

3. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Minute of angle is good enough. An awfull lot of deer killed with 1 1/2" to 2" groups. An 1 1/2" group at one time was the base line for big game rifles........Roger

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

That's an excellent group indeed, and an excellent bullet. Go get 'em with no worries. Good luck! Phil E

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

With some tinkering, (and of course depending on the condition of the barrel) you should be able to get a .243 to perform better than that.

That being said, for the range your're talking about, and being that it is deer as the game, I think 1 MOA is plenty accurate.

My old battle ax Finnish M-39 gives me about 1.25 MOA, and for deer and limiting myself to about a 250 yard max, that's plenty tight.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All this accuracy stuff is great, and I won't have a hunting rifle that can't shoot 1 MOA, but I never had a deer walk out in front of the range bench. (Some turkeys did, though, what a temptation!) If you can hit a pie plate at 200 shooting offhand you can kill a deer.

Most rifles shoot much better than their owner.

HM

7. steele

steele TS Member

There are alot of guns out there that will shoot MOA, being shot by lots of hunters that are not MOA shooters. Most hunters can't shoot 5-6" off hand at 100 yds, & they still constantly kill deer. You are more than equipped for what you want to do. Have fun & enjoy what you are doing. Good for you for getting out and doing it!

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

By all means, DO NOT SHOOT AT DEER, or any other game animal, off hand, unless there's just no other way. And even then, think twice about it.

Find something, anything, to steady your gun.

A fence post, a tree, prone, sitting, kneeling, anything but off hand.

You owe it to the animals you are hunting to assure yourself of a quick, clean, humane shot right through the heart/lungs.

Offhand is the least stable way to shoot.

Yeah, I know most of you can hit the eye of a squirrel at 200 yards while looking in a mirror shooting behind your back riding a unicycle.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One minute of angle? You're good to go. Cripes, most 30-30's are three minute of angle guns, and millions of deer have been harvested with them.

As for shooting offhand, to each his own ability. I shoot long range blackpowder cartridges offhand. Placed second shooting at a lifesize steel buffalo at 1000 yards offhand. Have hit running coyotes offhand. I shoot high power (DCM) as well. I'm not going to have any problems with a deer at 200 yards. The key is practice, practice, practice. The practice some more.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Your .243 shoots one-MOA and you're wondering if that's "tolerable" for a big game hunting rifle??? You're joking, right??

John C. Saubak

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One MOA is fine for a deer rifle. I don't know of too many hunters that carry anything much better into the woods. If you miss, it won't be the rifles fault.

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Minute of angle is excellent performance for a hunting rifle. I'll bet 90% of the rifles in the field can't do that well.

jim brown

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Pretty good bait - big deer, small gun, questionable accuracy and range. You could not have done better if you had said it was a Carcano with a Weaver scope.

14. Usemeasapunchingbag

Usemeasapunchingbag TS Member

No fishing just hunting . Thanks for all that answered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.