1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toledo Ohio Gun Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by djpk69, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Anyone near Toledo,Ohio that needs a place to shoot. Try Lakeland Conservation Club in Stoney Ridge, Ohio. $3.50 a round for members $4.00 non-members ($30 per year membership). Shooting is on Tues./Thurs/Sunday. Good place to shoot.

2. JimBailey

JimBailey Member

Ah, yes! Me and my dad shot many a round at the Lakeland Conservation Club many years ago. We used to meet my uncle there and lie about how good we were! I used to love going there as a kid and trying out my Model 12.

Jim

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Jim, You have it right. There are are actualy 2 swimming quarries near Lakeland. Rockland and Clearwater. Not sure either is still open. Also, I can think of at least 3 Model 12's that show up regularily.

5. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Shot there years ago.also set traps at Elmore Conservation Club in the 70's..........inlaw live down the road nice club.good people

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Still alot of the "same ole' people" there. Lots of them have Krieghoffs and such now and shoot some mean Oakley's !

7. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

so gone are the days of m12's and 101's..............and browning auto....

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

So NOT Panthers314. Come back to Lakeland and WATCH a Model 12 in action. There will be at least 3 tomorrow night and I doubt they will be there for SHOW. Some oldies gave them up because of the KICK or a FLINCH. Those that still shoot them compete with the best guns out there. I'm 58 and still don't SEE how that ole' MODEL 12 can still shoot SO WELL. BUT THEY DO

9. JimBailey

JimBailey Member

Hello from Denver!

Do any of you old timers remember a fellow by the name of Charlie Bailey or his cousin Charlie Willeford. They used to shoot registered and Annie Oakleys' at Lakeland and the Toledo Trap and Skeet Club.

They both had pigeon grade model 12's before switching to Perazzi TM1's. Boy, what I wouldn't give for my dads pigeon grade model 12!

Jim Bailey

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I'll ask some of the oldies a Lakeland tonight.

11. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Jim Bailey: My son AJ and I remember Charlie and Lucille Willeford. AJ met Charlie at Jaqua's when he first began shooting-Around the year 2000. Charlie was a good friend of Don Thourot's. I don't know that we ever met your Dad but I do remember a lot of conversations with Charlie-good fellow. Roger

PS I believe I bought a MX2000 O/U barrel from you a couple of years ago-I am still enjoying it, Thanks and Happy New Year.

12. JimBailey

JimBailey Member

Hey Roger,

If you are still shooting those MX2000 barrels that must mean they were all I said they were! Wilkenson does great work!

Charlie Willeford and my dad paled around alot. They were always shooting at Jaqua's. My dad did a lot of horse trading at Jaqua's, he must have bought 20 different guns from those guys. When we would come back to Ohio from Colorado to visit and go to the Grand, my brother and I would always make it a point to go to Jaqua's with our dad.

'Ol Charlie Willeford was pretty good at making long bows as he got on in years. I guess it came back to him through his heritage. He and my dad were part Cherokee Indian. Both born in Kentucky. My sister is doing research on the family tree and has found out some really neat stuff about those two guys and the family history.

Charlie Willeford worked at Willys Overland until retirement, and my dad worked for Coca-Cola in Toledo.

Well enough rambling I guess. You all have a Happy New Year. Shoot at all that you call for, and try and break most of them,

Jim Bailey

13. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

I switched to a 687 a few years back....but (2) m12's still get some work every few months..........'27 vintage

14. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Jim: Yea, my friend Don Thourot has one of Charlie's longbows-really nice. Good to hear from you and yes, the barrels are everything you said-I have enjoyed owning them-thanks, Roger

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Mr. Bailey, many remember Charlie Willeford but not Charlie Bailey. I actually shoot with a "John " Bailey.....but no relation I suspect. Kenny Reitz is now our President (and was an OHIO STATE TRAP champ back in the ???60's or so)....then Kurt (trustee) ..son of Paul Kimball.? I'll get more names Sunday.

16. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Paul Kimbell from Elmore,OH??

17. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You got it right Panthers314........Ole WELL driller.....his son (Kurt)still drills wells. In saw Paul last night. He stays in his car/heater running/and WATCHES our Oakleys. I've shot 16 yd with him (once or twice a year) and he's NOT BAD....23 or 24 from 16 yds......shoots a Krieghoff realese now.DEADLY !
    Come good weather here in OHIO.....he WILL shoot Oakleys......but HATES to LOSE !GREAT MAN !

18. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

My name is Dean........Kurt and I set traps in our teen years at Elmore Conservation Club...........I am now living in NC

Panthers314(Dean)

19. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Dean,
    I'll pass this on tomorrow night.........did you shoot at Lakelad too? Kurt is probably the BEST/All time winner at Oakley's. He shoots a BT 99 PLUS / NO Saftey Glasses. I pulled for them last Thurs. Kurt only won one........below his average. Paul sits in his car and watches. SMALL WORLD !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lakeland conservation club

lakeland conservation club nearby luckey ohio
lakeland conservation club nearby stoney ridge ohio
lakeland trap shooting ohio
lakelands conservation club
local gun clubs in toledo ohio
toledo gun club
toledo trap and skeet shooting