1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TODD NELSON, THE ANSWER TO CHEEK SLAP (FIT & FORM)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by emb120, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emb120

emb120 TS Member

Todd Nelson, the answer to Cheek Slap (fit and form)

Two months ago, I was ready to give up trap shooting due to extreme discomfort. I’m sharing my story so others may benefit from my experience with Rollin Oswald, author of “Stock Fitting Secrets,” and Todd Nelson of Country Gentleman gun fitting shop.

About a year ago, I started trap shooting and purchased an older, used trap gun. I couldn’t shoot more than 75 shells due to extreme discomfort from “cheek slap.” I tried up to a dozen different guns at the local trap ranges and found I had the same problem with those guns as well. I conducted exhaustive research, paid numerous visits to various local recommended gunsmiths/fitters, and spent hours here on Trapshooters.com. I received conflicting information through this research, and didn’t know how to proceed. I didn’t know if the solution was to buy a very expensive gun, modify my gun to reduce recoil, take shooting lessons, have custom stock work performed, or some combination thereof. I thought perhaps I’d not be able to shoot at all.

I decided to call Rollin Oswald and ask his advice. What a pleasure it was to speak with someone genuinely interested in my problem and willing to help! He patiently listened to my situation and made suggestions and recommendations. He explained the paramount importance of gun fit and proper shooting form. I told Rollin I was willing to go to great lengths for a solution, and asked him who was the best gun fitter in the country. He recommended three individuals, and I decided to contact Todd Nelson, owner of Country Gentleman gun fitting shop.

Country Gentleman couldn’t be a more fitting name for Todd’s company. He is indeed just that. Todd agreed with Rollin on the importance of proper gun fit and shooting form. He spent a long time with me on the phone, and I was convinced he was the right man for the job. I traveled from Seattle, Washington to his shop in Cherokee, Alabama with my gun for fitting and form instruction. Todd inspected my form with my gun, assessed what modifications were needed, made those mods while I waited, fit the gun to me, corrected my form, test-fired the gun with me for fit and form, and patterned the gun. This took about eight hours. I spent the entire time visiting, discussing my gun, and shooting while observing him working on my gun. I can’t explain how valuable this time was. Todd was very patient and informative. He is a true professional and an expert in his craft. Without reservation I recommend him for custom fitting and stock work.

Since that time, I have been able to shoot as many shells as I choose in complete comfort and confidence. My scores have improved greatly. I would not be shooting if not for this forum, Mr. Rollin Oswald, and Mr. Todd Nelson. I appreciate all the help and advice, and am truly grateful to all these sources. Todd Nelson can be reached at www.gunfitter.com.

Jason Bradshaw

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have known Todd for a long time. He has done several gun fittings for me. I am glad that you have found a cure!

Matt

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Todd is great. I had Todd's Father fit a gun for me before Todd got into the business. Todd has had the advantage of having a Father who taught him to be both a great gun fitter and a fine Gentleman. He sincerely cares about other people.

Pat Ireland

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

emb120:

How did you like the big town of Cherokee, Alabama? That had to have been a culture shock for someone from Seattle.

5. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Several years ago at the PA State shoot, Todd gave me some expert advise on what needed to be done to my original BT-99 to get it to fit properly.

I sent the gun to Todd and he did the adjustable comb. While I have purchased two new guns since, I can still pick up that gun and break a 98 in singles.

Great guy, excellent workmanship. I highly recommend Todd.

Dr. Honk

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Several years ago at the PA State shoot, Todd gave me some expert advise on what needed to be done to my original BT-99 to get it to fit properly.

I sent the gun to Todd and he did the adjustable comb. While I have purchased two new guns since, I can still pick up that gun and break a 98 in singles.

Great guy, excellent workmanship. I highly recommend Todd.

Dr. Honk

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

could you give a brief description of what was done? Was this a full custom stock? What is different now to then. Both you and the gun. Like you I had a very hard time finding anyone locally. I too was helped by Rollin and countless others. I now have a PFS which for me was the, most economical way to a custom fitting stock. I do have a older citori Trap(iron) that I may need a nice piece of wood for......another project.

8. emb120

emb120 TS Member

maclellan1911:

I've been shooting a BT99 with a Monte Carlo stock. I'd had a gunsmith put on an adjustable buttplate and mercury recoil reducer (14oz). That didn't work. Todd modified my stock by adding an adjustable soft comb and his Nelson buttpad adjustor with a Kick-ezz recoil pad.

Todd also looked at my form with the gun. The mods he put on enabled me to straighten my neck and level my eyes(I'd been leaning my head over the comb to be able to align my eyes with the sights). Leaning over the comb had been transmitting the recoil directly into my cheekbone. By adjusting the buttpad and moving the comb over, I am now able to have full facial contact with the stock, rather than just my cheekbone making contact with the top of the comb, and my right eye is now perfectly centered over the sights.

When I've gone to typical gunfitters who want to see my form, I've put the gun up to my eye and forced my body to fit the gun (tilting my neck and head to align the sights). Todd, however, makes the gun conform to the body, rather than the body conform to the gun.

If you have other questions, send me your phone number and I'd be happy to go into further detail--it's just easier to describe over the phone.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

DoubleAuto- When someone from Seattle travels to Cherokee Alabama, they do face a cultural shock. The culture in Alabama is so far advanced most Northern visitors do not know how to deal with the situation.

Pat Ireland

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I got the pleasure of meeting Jerry's brother and Todd's uncle, Aaron today. What a great experience again with these guys. I have been a Nelson fan for about 15+ years now and today further solidifies my fandom. Todd had told me last year at the Indiana State shoot that gaining or losing 20 pounds will almost always require a gun fit adjustment (at that time, I had gained about 25 pounds since seeing him last). Now that I have dropped 45 pounds since February and things did not feel "just right" -- I was looking to plan a trip to get to wherever Todd was to get re-adjusted. As luck would have it, I pull into Evansville today and the Country Gentleman rig was there, but not Todd -- For those of you that do not know Aaron, he is cut from the same mold as Jerry and Todd. Great guy to talk to, spent about 30 minutes refitting my two guns (one need the butt plate dropped about 1 1/2 inches!) and, as always, would not take my money. I needed my recoil pad replaced on my doubles gun, so I just left it with him over night.

As the Nelsons say -- "It's hard to hit if your gun don't fit!"

John

11. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I purchased a used Ljutic Monogun at the Grand in 1998. After having Denny go over it mechanically, I asked for a recommendation about fitting. Most replied, go see the Country Gentleman.

The surprising thing for me was that they concluded that the gun fit was already correct...amazing as that might seem... and refused any payment.

To this day I have not changed the adjustments and I am bordering on a AA singles average.

Thanks again to a great group at the Country Gentleman

12. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

To further my fandom... got fitted yesterday and shot an 85 in the caps (1st 100 after fitting) and a 96 in the doubles -- basically right where I had been in dubs this calender. For this calender year I have been averaging - 96.29 over 700 singles, 90.75 over 400 handicap and 95.25 over 400 doubles. After working a little more with Aaron this morning before shooting started, I got a 99 in singles, 99 in doubles, and a 92 in caps - +2.3 targets in singles, +1.25 targets in caps, and +3.75 targets in doubles. Refitting my guns gained me over 7 targets above my average. The 99 in singles is the best I have shot the calender year, the 92 in caps was second best, and the 99 in dubs was the best since Fall shoot in Sparta.

Have a good year Aaron, and Todd -- I plan on seeing you again in Indiana when I have hopefully lost another 20+ pounds.

John

13. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Both of my guns have the Nelson Pad and Comb the best in the business!

Ronbo

14. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Thanks guys for all the kind remarks. Thanks for the thread Jason. It was a pleasure working with you as well. Your other gun will be done shortly and returned.

Maclellan 1911..All jasons alterations were done on his existing bt-99 stock.
    No new wood was involved.

Look forward to seeing ya'll soon, especially you SKINNY VOLIVA.

Will be in Nashville next weekend, Then ILL state, Ohio State, Indiana.
    Todd Nelson

15. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Todd -- I will see ya at Illinois! Got some dirt on you from your uncle...

16. trap_shooter2000

trap_shooter2000 Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Todd and Jerry are excellent people who know their gun fit. They helped guide me on the right track when I first started shooting as a junior, and opened a lot of doors. I would recommend them to any shooter, new or old.

Thanks guys, Aaron Willoughby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
content
country gentleman gun fitting shop
the country gentleman gun fitting
todd d nelson
todd nelson cherokee alabama

todd nelson gun fitter

todd nelson gun fitting

todd nelson stockfitter