1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Today is Robert E Lee's birthday.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Today is Robert E Lee

Today is Robert E Lee's birthday. Happy birthday Robert E Lee.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

In modern day history I'd put him right next to Colonel Sanders. Now for the firestorm!!!!

Robert

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

It's my birthday, too!!! I have always been proud to share my birthday with General Lee!!

Ken Rucker

4. Auctioneer

Ruck, you had the good futune to be sharing your birthday with a great man.

5. 1oz

1oz Member

Happy Birthday Robert , Linda and Harold . Linda Lee is my wife and Harold Edward is her twin .

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I sat on Robert E Lee's front porch once, looking out over DC. I thought he was a fool to ride off and leave Arlington. He never returned.

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

He couldn't return to Arlington. When Lee joined the fight for the South the Yankees (Lincoln-another Illinois politician) seized the Arlington property & turned it into a National Cemetery burying Civil War dead on the property.
    Colonel

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

colonel klink, Yeah, it is also a strategic location. The whole of DC can be seem down below from there. Cannons from there could have reduced DC to rubble. He had sons in the Army of Virginia and didn't want to fight against them. It had to be a very tough decision to ride off and leave a place like that. His heirs sued the government and received compensation for the property.

9. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

The Arlington house is actually the Custis-Lee Mansion, beloned to his father in law.. The Lee family estate is Strattford Hall. If I remember right, Lee went to Washington D.C. and when the train passed Arlington House, he only gave it a glance. Later his son Rooney received compensation from the Federal Government for the property.

Van

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Lee was to married George Washington's granddaughter. They lived in a mansion on a couple thousand acres overlooking DC and owned slaves. I would imagine he didn't sleep well the nights before he left.

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Also Dolly Parton's birthday.

DoubleAuto

12. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Jerry,
    Just a small correction, Lee was married to Mary Custis, the granddaughter of Martha Custis Washington, as you probably know, George and Martha Washington had no children..

Van

13. Auctioneer

Happy Birthday Robert E Lee.

The Union Army after a battle for spite buried the dead right by the main house so the house couldn't be used again. It was nothing but mean-ness. As for R.L.E fighting for the south. He wanted to fight for the north but couldn't fight against Va. That is why he fought for the south. Glad he did.

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

SF SGM, U r right. I should have said step granddaughter.

Auctioneer, "Glad he did".... I can't help but think that if he had stayed home what surely was the most horrible period in American history may not have lasted nearly so long.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Confederate army was a much smaller army than the Union army but, it was a better army as far as abilities. The Union however had the resources and that is what won the war. Bulge.

16. Jackv

Jackv TS Member

Why would anyone be happy to share their birthday with Robert E. Lee?

17. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

My dad's birthday is today. He has always been so proud of that. Any person who had researched Robert E Lee and who he was would never question why anyone would be proud. I fine fine example of a gentleman with moral fiber lacking in virtually every man in DC now.

18. Auctioneer

I take it JACKV that you would be happy to share your Bithday with Sherman The Butcher. He wasn't a gentleman by any means.

19. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

For those of you interested, I highly recommend a book by Robert E. Lee, Jr. He put together quite a collection of his father's letters starting while he was at West Point through his time at Washington College. The majority of them are to members of his family but there are others as well. It will give you a great insight to Lee the man, the father, the General and the educator...

Van

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Is he any relation to Spike Lee?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

today is robert e lees birthsy