1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Today at Cabellas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by need to shoot more, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I visted the Cabellas in Hamburg Pa. its located 80 miles NW of Philadelphia.With my Brother-inlaw and Nephew,we arrived @ 9:00 am and the parking lot was full.My Bro grabs a numbered ticket to be helped at the gun counter, I walked on my own.
    The gun room was nice but pricey, they had a pre 64 m#42 410 NIB 15k.We left 2 hours later they were now calling #92 for gun service. The place is great plenty of animal mounts and breakfast was good.
    I just wanted to share.

Jim

2. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

After the Conn. school shootings Cabela's stock dropped on Monday, just wonder what their stock is doing now since the feeding freezy started.

SM

3. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

15K for a M42? That should tell you something about their pricing structure. Their pricing on collector grade guns at all locations is very uneven.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

It was ok I been to Bass Pro Shops I enjoyed those trips more, maybe it was the crowds that turned me off??? The pricing was definiately a turn off.

Jim

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Cabela's is going to build a store here in Delaware at the Christiana Mall...no sales tax...the place will be full of out-of-state tags...

Just goes to show that ole P.T. was correct!! Oh, and Ron White too.

Curt

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been in the parking lot of the Calgary, AB Bass Pro to pick up my grandkids. I had no yearning or need to go in. Cabella's is just too far away to even bother with.

7. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have both BPS and a cabelas in my area, along with a gander Mountain, a couple of Dick's, and a few Scheels all sports. By far the best store of them all is Scheels all sports.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The two Cabelas here are 110 miles in either direction - Olympia, Washington or Eugene, Oregon. (Actually in little nearby towns to each.) Dunno why they didn't build one in the Portland area. I ain't driving 110 miles to Cabelas. Have dropped in when in the area on other business, though. Every time they've been out of what I wanted. My daughter has made out like a bandit on their camo clothes. Apparently they are boy bait. She's figured out the outdoorsy boys like girls who wear camo.

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I always stop in at the one in Lacey, Washington, when I go to Connies for reloading components. It is absolutely amazing the amount of crap that people think they need to have to go hunt, fish, camp, or otherwise enjoy themselves. The prices aren't really that good on most stuff, although some sale items are pretty good, and my favorite .308 and .338WM shells are reasonable. The gun library is ridiculously priced, for the most part, with some mediocre shotguns being touted as "collectible", when in fact they are fairly common. My favorite part of the store, and my first stop, is the bargain cave. I found an extra full Invector Plus tube for $12.00, and some other small stuff for less than half of what they were charging out on the floor.

10. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

I have found the gun library to be reasonable in many of the stores that I have shopped at with Cabela's. You have to know what you are lookin for and spend some time researching. The model 42 that the first poster mentions is one that I did in fact see. It is an original skeet deluxe with exceptional wood that has the box and all of the associated paperwork. It has never been assembled and is as new as the day it left the factory. I don't believe that there are many out there in that state. It is unknown whether it will bring that price but it is truly one of a kind.

Most trapshooters in my experience are lurking in the background at funerals and hunting down widows to find that "deal of the century" Most businesses are there to make a profit and have to pay for the electricity and the employees to service as well as numerous other expenses.

11. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I take a "Cabellas run" fron NYC to Hamburg once or twice a year. I do not go with the intention of buying anything. I like my grand kids to see the Taxidermy which truly depicts the "food chain", the huge lunker fish in the aquarium and to have a Buffalo burger at the cafateria. I love the bargain cave and always find something I need for the boat, atv or gun projects. The gun room is like a museum to me as I see beautiful heirloom pieces that I could never afford. I have over the years got some great bargains on new close-out shotguns. I bought a new Rem 1100 LT20 field a few years back for 399. I also bought a mint used 1187 trap there for $375 too that had an ugly stock extension on it. Removed the extension and put an original pad on it I had laying around and it is close to perfect.

The website has the store flyers and you can get the close out sale info
    to plan a trip. If you can avoid weekends and holidays the store is not crowded.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A new one is slated to open in Mar. at the Polaris shopping complex, just south of the Cardinal Center off of I 71.

Looks almost finished now and the new hires, I am told, are already in training and are stocking as well.

Should be interesting if you are coming to Cardinal in May.

Not my cup of tea but it doesn't cost (yet) to look.

Regards.....Gerald

13. FIB

FIB Member

My friend and I used to visit 3-4 different Cabela's a year (we traveled for work). I used to love the bargain cave and would occasionally get some killer deals. You used to be able to deal with them in the bargain cave but it seems like Cabela's changed that and the last several times I tried to negotiate they said they can't.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

must be this one...

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Bass Pro is 135 miles from here and Cabellas is 300....too far...

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Greentop just took over the Gander MT store. G.MT couldn't stay out of the red so they closed their doors and GreenTop moved in. Hope they do well and I hope to get there sometime soon. The reason G.MT closed their door was because their prices were way out of line.

17. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Cabelas- everything thing made with their label is Chicom made and comes in on shipping containers straight from China's factories.I would rather and try and buy as much as I can from supporters of this board!

The last time i was in Cabela's and asked the store manager to show me anything in the store that wasn't made in China with a Cabela's- he couldn't!

18. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Guess he didn't know where the guns, ammo, archery, footwear, boating and fudge areas were....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.