1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TOBY'S IN TROUBLE, NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

TOBY

Hello:
    Around a year ago I had a thread about my daughter and son in law's new dog Toby. At that time I had to dog sit him at our house and he was a typical puppy. Over this past year I have gotten real fond of Toby. His family loves him, provides him with a good loving home. My three grandsons take real good care of him, and he has indeed become part of the family. He is now a 1 year old and today he got in trouble with the police.

This morning two police officers come to my daughter's home. They said an anonymous neighbor called the police department to complain of a barking dog. My daughter and son in law told the police that when they let Toby out to go do his business he is on a chain, and he will bark once or possibly twice to let the family know to bring him back in the house. The police officers refused to tell them who complained, but told them if they receive three complaints they will receive a $200.00 fine, and take the dog away.

My son in law said that they are friends with most of the neighbors except their next door neighbor. These particular neighbors are a single male and female in their 40's. They do not have animals, or children. The husband is bi polar, and the wife has lots of issues. She hates children, pets, and hates that my daughter and her family moved into the property. She told them she liked it better when an elderly old man lived in the property because she did not hear him make any noise. She does not like the fact that three small children play outside and make noise.

I suggested that when they see these neighbors let them know that someone in the neighborhood, called the police department anonymously, and complained about their dog barking. I told my daughter that I have a nephew with a different last name, that is a police officer in that same department, and I will ask him to try and get me the name of the neighbor that called them. Any ideas what can be done, also how can they be fined and the dog taken away with a formal complaint being filed? Don't the police have to tell you who actually complained so you can try to defend yourself concerning a possible false complaint? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Steve Balistreri

2. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

There are lots of drastic ways to deal with a-hole's who refuse to leave other people alone. I won't go there unless you want to make them move out.

To answer your question regarding the police, no they do not have to provide you with a name. You can get the report if it involves you being fined etc. They must provide it.

You can have your attorney send the people next door a nasty letter explaining that any false statements or complaints to the police that result in even a visit from the police will result in lawsuit from hell. A nice way to say shut the F up or else. Let them know that you can sue them simply because you think that they are from Mars or that they wear the color blue. Its that simple.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would think that before they could remove the dog and fine you, there would be a hearing???

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

............airstrike.

5. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

I would think under 'Minimum due Process' you have the right to know who the complaintant is, what the alleged violation was and when it occured.

I had the same circumstances occur and my atty. sent a letter to the State Agency requesting this information. We received a letter that this should never have happened and everything was fine. (Ill)

mc

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Have them check the city codes on barking dogs. Usually listed under Animal Control Ordinances. They might have not broken any codes, most police don't know the actual code violations, that usually falls under the Animal Control Dept. Our city code says no barking longer than 15 minutes straight or a total of 20 minutes per hour. No dogs are to be tethered between 11:00PM and 6:00AM.

It does not matter who initiated the complaint, if they have not violated any barking dog ordnance.

If they signed a neighborhood association agreement, see what they have listed for animal control.

Wayne

7. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

a informal chat with the local police hancho might be a try. just casual talk when times are slow for him..
    Or Ask those neighbors if they have seen the movie, The Godfather re: any problems with good puppy dogs.

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Steve---I am a dog lover and feel your pain---I have a summer home on the beach
    and dog barking is out, period---I can't even walk the dog on the beach between
    May and OCT and then only on a leash---I sneak out from time to time and get away with it but I am always looking over my shoulder---I take him out to do his duty with a doggy bag and pick up after him right away so there is no barking---Thats the price I have to pay if I want a dog in a no dog friendly area---I think you may have to take him out and return without him barking.
    It's a shame but the world is full of those kinds---gL---SJB---

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't know if it will do any good but I have a bark control that I will be glad to send you. I bought it for my neighbor that had a dog that was scared of the dark and would start barking as soon as the sun went down. It would be hoarse from barking and they wouldn't leave an outside light on. They gave the dog away the day I purchased the collar for them. It is a shock collar that gets gradually stronger as the dog barks. It may need new batteries. Let me know.(There's no telling where I have it at but I've got it. LOL) Jackie B.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Rent out part of the house as a mosgue.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

birdog---Thats funny---right on---SJB

12. senior smoke

Jackie B.
    Thank you for the offer. When I see my daughter I will ask her if she wants the collar. These neighbors are not nice people. It seems no matter where you live or work there are people like this. I wish people would mind their own business. I will get back to you should she want to try the collar. Thanks for the offer.
    Steve

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Those collars will work if introduced on a very young dog but if all of a sudden it is put on the dog,the dog may repel it and it could break it's spirit---They may think they are being disciplined by the owner and could change their personallty---If the neighborhood is not dog friendly there is trouble ahead---Best thing is to try to become friendly with neighbor and work out a plan---Most people will respond if they feel you are trying to be fair.
    JMT---SJB---

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

In addition to the bark collar, take WayneO's advice.

The way to find out if it was those particular neighbors is to buy a white noise machine and take it to their front door. Knock and say something like "We thought that this white noise machine would be helpful to the neighbor who is disturbed by the neighborhood dogs. We are trying to be good neighbors and help out." Don't say "barking dogs", and don't say anything about the neighbor calling in a complaint, and DEFINITELY don't say "our dogs"...you want to word it so that you are talking about neighborhood dogs in general, so that they can't come back in court and say that the gift implied that your dogs were noisy. Now, if they say something like "Oh, your dogs don't bother us" as opposed to "that machine is not going to help the situation," then you will have confirmed who complained.

Note that if your daughter's dogs are the ONLY ones in the vicinity, then you can't do this.

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

SJB, not true on either count. You can effectively use a shock collar on any dog at any age without "breaking his spirit". That is a very vague term which is used mainly by dog owners who don't know how to properly discipline a dog, and by people who don't know how to properly discipline their children, horses, etc, or by people who overuse discipline - or their TIMING on the use of discipline is off. You can teach a dog without using a shock collar, but it generally takes a longer and requires more effort and dedication from the owner/trainer.

I don't like bark collars, because it teaches your dog not to bark, period. You want your dog to bark when there are intruders. I like the regular shock collars, but shock collars in general are not good for the majority of people to use, because most people are not good dog trainers.

Also, in trying to be nice to some people, you may inadvertantly give them ammunition to use in a court case. They can turn your kindness into an admission of guilt. You have to be careful with some people.

Bipolar people have fewer problems when their daily routine is the same every day. New situations sometimes set off episodes, so I feel for your neighbor (and his wife, who has to deal with his mood swings). But they may be able to adjust given time. I wouldn't expect it, though. The neighbors may always be a problem.

If it is truly the neighbors and their problem, then the only thing that you can do is put buffers up. Put up some nice, thick bushes along the fenceline that separates the two houses and, if possible, put a waterfall fountain along that fenceline. The waterfall is a calming noise (for the neighbors as well as for you), and if it is along the fenceline, it will keep the kids and dogs away from fenceline and further away from your neighbor's yard.

16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rec---You are probably right but I don't think in this case they have the expertise to try the collar nor do they have the time to start training---I have been in field trials with dogs for many yrs and used elect collars with great success---If during training the collar will or could dampen the spirit or what ever you might want to call it if not done with care---If in this case they have the time to give proper training and the neighbors will tolerate the time it takes to train,then go for it---JMT---SJB---

17. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I thought you were talking about obamma

18. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Senior, I am not trying to be a jerk, but we have neighbors who would leave their dogs outside when they went to work and the dogs would bark for hours. I spoke with them and was told where to stick it. Needless to say, I am no longer very nice to them. I have a dog and my daughter has one as well, so I am not a dog hater, I am a hater of constant incessant noise of any kind. I ended up calling the police who came out and talked to me for about 20 minutes while the dog barked. He said that 15 minutes was the limit and he left them a warning notice on their front door. Yes, I was the A-hole but they kept the dog inside and the barking stopped after that.

I am NOT saying this is what happens with Toby, but listening to someone else's dog barking can get annoying. Before anyone gets mad, I am just trying to point out that noise can annoy neighbors who are just trying to mind their own business. When the noise comes on to my property, it is my business. Two sided to every story and Toby's neighbors certainly may be crazy A-holes.

Mike

19. senior smoke

trappermike:
    your point is well taken. I just found out some additional information about these neighbors. Found out that they both work the night owl shift and they sleep during the day. My daughter's driveway is directly below their bedroom window, where my grand kids play riding their bikes on the driveway. They are 6, 4, and 2 years old. With this additional info I see nothing but additional problems in the future. Why couldn't these people just come over to explain the situation, and they could all just try to work something out?
    Steve

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My wife tried one of those shock collars on me all it did was piss me off, I'm probably one of those that should of had one put on me when I was a lot smaller and younger ...

There are usually laws stated as to what hours reasonable amounts of noise are permissable (7 AM to 7 PM, where I live) and what limitations there are beyond those times ... I would probably find reason to call the police and tell them you think there is a problem because you never see your neighbors and am wondering if they are alright or if they are laying there dead ... If the neighbors talk to you and you make adjustments thats one thing but the Police cannot demand you do anything to eliminate a reasonable amount of noise during day light hours unless there are provisions in the local laws ... The majority of people do not sleep during the day so they are the ones who should make the needed adjustments so they can, suggest they move and see what they say ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.