1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To you wood people

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trappy12, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

My neighbors very large basswood tree was blown over in a storm, and took off a big chunk of a neighboring Walnut Tree. I don't know if this wood will do me any good for a stock, I'm assuming it won't, but just to be sure is the wood of any use for me if I were to try to cut a stock blank?
    I don't know if it's relevant, but I live in Northeast Illinois.
    -Trappy

2. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Save it for firewood. You will need it this winter.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would cut a few blanks up and learn about cutting, drying,storing, and maybe even making a gunstock.. You'll have nothing in it.. and the learning experience might be useful..

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Which wood are you talking about, the basswood or the walnut?

Eric

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Walnut is good. Basswood is soft.

Pat Ireland

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

The walnut.
    -Trappy

7. sharktown

sharktown Member

Might be good for knife scales after drying and stabilizing.

Sharktown

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trappy- Sounds like you have some wood that will introduce you to stock work. First, cut the walnut into roughly 4 X 12 X 30 blanks, seal the ends with melted paraffin and set it in a dry place for the summer. Next Winter, move it to a dry and warm area like your attic. During that time, do some reading about how to dry wood for stock work. I suspect your wood will have little figure in it but it is a good place to start.

You may, or may not enjoy woodwork. You are proficient with precision machine work, but wood requires precision hand work.

Pat Ireland

9. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Pat

I'm glad your attic is dry.

But if it is warm in the winter maybe you should consider a bit more insulation between the joists.

With the money you save you can buy more firearms.

That will enable you to save the planet while increasing your trap gun footprint!
    Lou

10. DJM

DJM Member

Drying green wood that is thicker than 1" outside of a controlled enviroment (kiln)is a tricky business. Problem is that as wood dries it shrinks significantly. The tendency is for the moisture at the outside of the wood to leave quicker than the moisture at the center. The outside of the piece shrinks while the center does not and the results are checks (splits) that will ruin the piece. Drying must occur no faster than the moisture from the center can migrate to the outer ares. The wood tends to dry fastest through the end grain so waxing those as mentioned helps. If the basswood has some clear, knot free, sections try drying some chunks of those for carving. It is the wood carvers preferred wood. Good Luck

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If you want to try and dry it at home put the balnks in two layers of paper grocery sacks and tape it up. You can also help it some by storing it close to your hot water heater as it is normally warmer there year around. It will take over a year and maybe two to dry it enough to work it. You must wax the ends as Pat stated also. The Northeast Illinois part explains many things about your posts as well. You probably still support Bago too. What a warped part of the midwest that Chicago area is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.