1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To varnish or not over Checkering?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DTrykow, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I recently had some re-checkering done by Cindy Devault on my Perazzi, 28LPI. The previous owner refinshed the stock and varnished over the checkering. Just got it back and Cindy did an amazing job. Looks different with the dull area of the checkering versus the shine of the rest of the stock. What's the preference out there on this? I had a stock done from start to finish down at KI in PA and they varnished over their checkering. Beautiful job but other shooters think it detracts from the gun. Looking at what Cindy did now I think I tend to agree. Any thoughts? Dave T.

2. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

It sounds like you have answered your own question.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

not over the checkering ...yuck

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

CalvinMD: I'll try to post the stock that KI did for you to see. Dave T.

5. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

If your checkering is found to be too sharp, trying a very, very light sanding with 1200 grit. It will reduce the varnish at the points (which will be slightly dulled) but might give you the appearance you're looking for. John

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd put a really thin coat of linseed oil over it to protect it from rain and sweat. Available at an arts and crafts store.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I would thin down some varnish and give the checkering a very light coat ... just to seal the wood, and not bring out any shine.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Dem-Bart makes some really good checkering oil that'll dress the checkering without filling it in. It seals the wood up nicely. I've used it on several occassions to treat my checkering when I've had it recut.

ss

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Do you know if Cindy sealed the checkerng at all? You don't want to leave it completely raw, unsealed. When I checker I use a pipe cleaner as a brush to put in a coat of finish thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits. This will penetrate, darken but not shine the checkering. A day later I repeat with full strength finish. After about 1 minute, I rub it vigorously with a paper towel to make sure there's no build-up. Usually, this dries to flat for my tase and I repeat once or twice more. I like just a little shine, maybe less than the surrounding wood. But a little shine tells me the wood is sealed. If a drop of water, like a drop of rain, leaves a spot in the checkering, it's not sealed. A drop of gun oil will leave a permanent stain if it's not sealed.

In summary, 3-4 coats is about right, IMO.

Freshly cut...

KM10.jpg

Freshly sealed...

KM9.jpg

10. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Mike, nice looking work!

11. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Most finishers will cut the finish by half with thinner to seal the checkering. that's what the one picture shows. One or two coats.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Here is a TM-4 stock I am refinishing for my father inlaw. I still have to put a thin coat over the checkering, to seal it. I used masking tape to cover the checkering while I sprayed the stock. Then wet sanded and polished the finish, removed the tape, cleaned out the edging with a checkering file and restained. Just need to seal the checkering, clean out the milled area, and repolish. The cheek piece is finished. Jon
    stlflyn_2010_070466.jpg

stlflyn_2010_070467.jpg

stlflyn_2010_070468.jpg

13. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

As above - acoat of very thin linseed oil works great. Apply with an 'acid brush' that you buy at an auto parts store - then spray it off with gentle compressed air. Then wipe everything off.

StlFlyn - what did you shoot it with?

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

20 coats of Tru-oil. One coat a day. Waited for 10 days then started sanding and polishing. Seems like I have been doing it for months. Oh, I have been. Jon

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

No varnish on the checkering. Apply a finishing oil and brush the checkering thoroughly both directions with a soft tooth brush to remove any excess. There should be no build up left in the checkering. I use Antique Finishing Oil by Minwax. I don't even know if it is still made.

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Here is what KI did:

dtrykow_2008_03034.jpg

dtrykow_2008_03035.jpg

dtrykow_2008_03036.jpg

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have Tru-oil and Danish oil. Looks like Cindy didn't seal it after the re-checkering. Will these work? Thanks, Dave T.

18. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use Tru-Oil as I don't think it is actually an oil but more like a varnish with a glossy sheen to it. I have not used Danish Oil but if it is clear, no stain, it should work fine. I suspect it is either tung oil or a linseed oil product either of which would provide the seal and flat finish appropriate for checkering. Maybe someone else has used Danish Oil.

19. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Either will work. Danish oil is urethane-modified tung oil, Tru-oil is urethane-modified linseed oil. Since you have both, I recommend the Danish oil. Just don't over do it and don't let it build up. Do 2 coats and shoot it for awhile... don't be afraid to wait a couple weeks to see if you want a third. Each coat will shine more than the last. Follow my instructions above and you'll be telling evrybody what a wonderful guy I am.

20. 682b

682b Member

Why don't you give Cindy a call. She would know what she did and could give you your answers. jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
applying stain over checkering
checkering cradle parts

gun checkering

gun oil on checkering
gunstock checkering over impressed
lacquer over checkering
spraying clear polyurethane over gunstock checkering
varnish removal gun stock checkering