1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Tron

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Mr. TRON: Someone on this thread said that you usually keep some stocks and do good stock work. I have a question about a Beretta 391 stock. I recently traded for one that was tricked out. In the box was the usual Beretta cast and drop spacers. AND there is a spacer that goes between the stock and receiver that is tapered top to bottom. It is about 3/16 thick at top and a little less than 1/8 at the bottom aluminum and painted black. I wanted alot of drop and put it in with the cast shims from Beretta. I really liked the way it felt and shot.
    You will never gess what---stock broke at the wrist. I took the shim out and repaired it with pins. I cannot find out where this wierd shim came from. I've never seen one before and it is not in any Beretta information. I would like to have it back in but don't want more breakage. Have you ever seen anything like this before and is there a way I can make this work? I have thought about glassing it to be sure the mating surfaces are 100%. There was a tiny bit of miss match between wood and shim when it was in. It did not seem to interfeer with the stock tube. If there is no other bearing surfaces (high spots) will this work?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Juno

Juno TS Member

Epic!

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A custom shim was made out of aluminum, which is fine, but the surfaces must be perfectly flat or you will add stress to the head of the stock and cause cracks. I make mine out of a type of plastic that gives a bit (like the original material that Beretta uses). There was a well known stock guy in my area that did an ton of Beretta shims just as you described....but he passed away a couple of years ago. A lot of his work was top notch and if you could show me a picture of the stock, I would recognize his work.

Shoot me an Email,

Joe

http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.