1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Tight

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

YJ, a six-inch pattern at 31 yards hardly seems possible. Are you sure about that distance?

Neil

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

By 6" pattern at 31 yards, I hope you mean "6 inches high."

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Have you heard the phrase.....Choke for smoke? LOL

Shoot well and have fun.......Rickyd

4. flylta

flylta TS Member

I never heard of guys complaining about anything being too tight....

5. Neil Winston

YJ, now it's forty-two yards? That's I tight shooter for sure. Too tight for singles and that's certain. You'd better open it up some.

Neil

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Does bullshit mean anything to you guys?! I think old Yukon has been drinking his namesake! Tom Rhoads

7. Neil Winston

YJ, no, stop, I was joking. Don't open it up.

There's something wrong with your test. There has to be.

Patterning, unless it is seriously done, is worse than just shooting and hoping for the best.

Take paper or cardboard to 34 yards for singles, 40 yards for handicap, and shoot one shot at each paper. Do at least 5, which will at least give you a n idea of what's going on. Then count the holes in the most dense 30-inch circle. Then you will know something about your pattern. Until you do that, you don't.

If you touch that choke without knowing, for sure, exactly what's happening now you will probably just wreck a good gun.

Neil

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Chances are, Tom knew what he was doing when he built your smoothbore rifle. Don't muck it up. ;^)

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Would you like to sell the gun. I could win a lot of money shooting games with that gun. HMB

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have to admit that I know YJ,(LOL) and although I didn't see the pattern myself if he and the people we shoot with saw it, that is what it is. YJ maybe a character but one thing he is't is a liar. Personally I can't wait to shoot this beast from handicap distance.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I don't imagine it will take long to sell this delightful firearm!

12. Neil Winston

Great, I'll be at the Spring Grand too. And there's a pattern board right there we can check your results with.

Neil

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Super! I'll bring some good cardboard so we can have pics too. Hap

14. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

YJ,

I will be at the SG also and would like to see this "beast" LOL

Rickyd

PS, I would also like to meet the new "prez"

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

I will be down in Tucson with YJ so you guys that want to see the "BEAST" just follow the smell of smoked salmon over to the handicapped parking area and I'm sure you will find us eating smoked salmon and drinking beer with the infamous Don P.

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I was at the club with Yukon...now, mind you I didn't walk over and look at it after he shot...I was just watching.

BUT...I can tell you that the pattern board is just behind the back side of hte traphouse, and I would guess that Yukon is 7 or 8 yards behind the 27...so 30, 31, 32 yards is about right for the distance.

I can also report that our ATA past president, Dave Kaiser, shot his P gun with on the same board at the same distance with a full choke (briley tube) in it and was amazed at how small the pattern was. He had to go down to a modified, I think, to get a pattern he considered of acceptable size to shoot targets at 27 with.

Neil, could it be something to do with the cold?

I shoot a P gun with briley extended chokes, and at 27 yards I can dang near ink ball a target with a light full choke and 7.5s when I do my part...

I just talked to yukon...we're going to try to pattern it on the board and get a picture. It's a grease board, though. Maybe if we stick some white paper against it...

jeff

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

One more question, Neil...

Yukon's loads are, shall we say, fast...like right up against the letter of the law speedy.

Would that make a difference, along with the cold?

18. otnot

otnot Active Member

Jeff the colder it is the more your pattern will spread due to the air density. Yesterday here in Kasilof it was +10 so Anchorage couldn't have been much warmer.

19. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...man, now I wish I was going to the spring grand - Yukon NEVER buys beer! Ok, that might be a stretch.

I was with him today when he shot it...first time I'd actually walked out to the board to see his pattern.

I would have called it a 24 inch pattern with about a 10" solid core. I saw no holes in the pattern big enough to slide a target through. Now i know why fleming either grinds them to dust or flat ass misses!

All in all, that looks like a FINE barrel to me. If I owned it I 'might' (emphasis on MIGHT) have it opened up just a smidge. But not much.

20. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

I just want you guys to know that Yukon Jack 222 is not related in any way to me. Signed by the original Yukon Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.