1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To the right.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by olddrum1, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I want to apologize first for my ignorance in having to ask this question. From time to time I see a shotgun for sale here and other places that will say the gun is tight. They will state that the break open lever is all the way to the right. On all of my new shotguns they have had the lever dead center which I presume to be the correct position on the tightest lockup you could have being factory spec on a new gun. If the lever is all the way to the right or left that tells me the gun has a problem with being out of factory tolerances. Am I correct in believing this to be true?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

on all of my new shotguns, the lever was never dead center....it was always to the right

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

olddrum, the reason the levers are to the right, is......as they break in and get worn, they are made to move more to center until they no longer can stay shut when shooting and then they will pop open every time you shoot them.

When you have them fixed, the lever will be back to the right again until such time as it wears and moves to the center.

Hope this helps you a little.

Hauxfan!

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

olddrum1:

You state, "If the lever is all the way to the right or left that tells me the gun has a problem with being out of factory tolerances. Am I correct in believing this to be true?"

That statement/conclusion is not correct. The top lever of a new gun should be right of center. As the gun wears, the lever will gradually move toward the left. A top lever left of center would suggest the excessive wear of a well worn gun. At some point, there will be sufficient wear that the gun will pop open when fired.

As a side note, the position of the top lever assumes you are looking at an assembled gun. If the gun isn't assembled, the position of the top lever means nothing.

sissy

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

In the picture the gun on the left is a newer BT-99, lever right of center,

gun on the right is a 15 year old GTI, lever is starting to creep toward center, still locks up tight. Wayne

[​IMG]

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Not ALL new O/U's have the opening lever to the right. It depends on what type locking system the gun has.

For example, the SKB/Weatherby which has the cross bolt locking system has the opening lever in the center on new guns.

Easystreet

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Haux, how's that wurk on yer L gun, way furward er backards? LMAO Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where sghould the break open lever be on a 311 shotgun is worn out