1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TO THE COMPUTER GUYS HELP

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Vista has a firewall built in that seem to default to no access either incoming or outgoing. If you just click the button without changing the settings, you can not send to or receive anything from your network connection. Cursor over the icons on the bottom right and one of them just might come up Vista Firewall. Open it and see what is or is not enabled.

2. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Swap it for a Mac!

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Microsoft has a help-line that offers Vista help - (800) 926-5700.

Rollin

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Two questions:

1. Are you running off battery or using the charger?
    2. Are you trying to connect wirelessly or using an ethernet cable?

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Why are most Mac owners such bozos?

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

He may not be able to, Nathan. XP drivers may not be available. Been there, done that with somebody's Gateway recently.

Microsoft has decided that you will run Vista (some people refer to it as Windows ME II). I did notice that as of last week, you can still order a Dell laptop with XP -- as long as you pay for licensed copies of XP * AND * Vista Business. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Delbert,

I run a specialized IT company. 90% of the machines I deal with are Macs. 90% of the troubles I deal with occur on the PC's. Go figure.

We are not bozos as a group - no more of us here than anywhere else. We do utilize a computer that integrates it's OS into and as part of the design of the machine, thus virtually all aspects of the machine run seamlessly. It is based on the well known and remarkably stable Unix OS.

One of my best friends, a PC-aholic had been trying for two years to establish a wireless network in his 200 year old farm house - heavy walls require the use of two wireless routers for his PC's to see it. I offered to help and entered the network with a five year old Mac laptop - saw both routers from anywhere in the house. Quickly updated the drivers, configured the routers and had all machines on the network in less than an hour (PC's still need the two routers) - not that I am great, but the Macs are.

I could instantly print to his network printer - he still cannot. He has since advised two family members to buy Macs, and he has assured me his next purchase will be a Mac as well.

Vista, as a new OS is flawed. Over simplified there are really two versions of it - based on the hardware in the machine itself. If your machine is truly Vista compatible things should be OK, if it is a 'dumbed down' machine meant to only meet basic requirements of the OS the road will be a bit bumpy.

It appears that Microsoft would rather release this less than perfect product, force you to convert to this new platform, like it or not, and have you serve as a 'beta tester' while you get to pay for the privilege with the added expense of lost work time and productivity.

I guess us Mac people are bozos after all...

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would convert to an older system, Like 98 or 2K PRO, rather than use Vista.

I had ME on a computer a few years ago and it was a festering pile of dog poo.

2K PRO is still my favorite, although this one has XP, which I am somewhat ambivalent about. Someone should be able to tell you if your machine will take these older OS's.

HM

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Anybody going to actually help this guy?

Same two questions:

1. Are you running off battery or using the charger?

2. Are you trying to connect wirelessly or using an ethernet cable?

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bobdog is right.

The important question is HOW you are trying to get onto the internet. Is your computer hard wired to a network, or are you trying to do it wirelessly?

Typically the first piece of equipment will be a modem which ties you to the internet, from here one of several things may happen...

The modem MAY also act as a router to handle computer access to the internet.

This router may also be a second, independent piece of equipment plugged into the modem.

There might be a wireless component in all of this as well.

Need to know this to really be able to help you...

Further, can you give more details on the new Toshiba (model, processor speed, RAM, etc)? Is it a tower or a laptop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.