1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To shoot or not to shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lineman1002, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

Hello, I was hard pressed to what thread to put this under. So whither to shoot these jewels is my question. I bought these from a buddy who got these at an auction. I couldn't wait to offer them to the clay gods, but thought I would see if I was making a mistake. Picture is as good as I could get. I grew up shooting trap in Ks and in my sheltered life can't remember seeing a shell without a 6 or 8 pt crimp. Looks like a cardboard cover with a roll type crimp and some with stickers. Here are some of brands all are paper. Federal Monarch, Peters Victor, Peters HV, Winchester Ranger even one named Dominion Imperial(Canada). Thanks for any help you can give.
    [​IMG]

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

All loaded shells looked like that in years past.

Gne J

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

How are young shooters ever going to appreciate the history and culture of clay and wing shooting if we shoot up pristine examples like these? There are only so many of these left and they aren't making any more. Before you shoot let me check my collection. You might be able to fill some partial boxes for me.

4. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

When I bought these it never crossed my mind that I ever had "something". I will put them up and if you want any just let me know.

5. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

Brass is in excellent condition. Only 4 in the front right had any considerable tarnish. Hopefully this pic will turn out.
    [​IMG]

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I am not so sure those shells would serve you well if fired. I once had some old shells my father gave me, along with some guns, and the shells, although newer manufacture than yours, were no good. I would knock squirrels clean out of a tree with them, but the squirrels would just get up and run off, or head back up the tree. It happened a few times before I realized the loads were too old, and had lost some power. The powder must have degraded a little.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Some of those would make a nice display in a case or something in the game room. As was said previously,,,,they aren't making any more of these....

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I wish we had a place here where we could list our oldies that we need or have and might be willing to sell or trade.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic reinders let me try a blue peters shell like these, years ago. it was low on recoil. now his shells are in the hall of fame on display. consider donating these shells to the ata hall of fame. you have some real nice shells.
    steve balistreri

10. lineman1002

lineman1002 Member

I have put the shells up for good and some have inquired about getting a few to add to your display case no problem we'll get that done. Bigdogtx and Rev I'm going to take your advice of cleaning them up and get me a good display case to put on the wall and pass on to my son. Thank you gentlemen for helping me pull my head out.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I see no reason not to shoot these. I understand the value of keeping a couple to show future generations, but you only need one or two shells for that not boxes and boxes of them.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My thanks to Todd, for allowing me to purchase a few individual shells for my reloading room collection...

Kind regards,

Jay

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Those are cool-lookin'. What is the purple one?

14. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

If you have extras you want to sell please tell me the price. jdskala@yahoo.com

thanks...

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

curvy, most likely a Canadian shell called Imperial. The local OTASCO (for you midwesterners) sold these. ANd yes we do :-}

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably be a longshot, but the Hall of Fame might have a place for one or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.