1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To shoot or not to shoot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

No, this not a ATA bashing thread.

I very recently acquired an 870 Comp in almost new condition (Thanks llano bill). This particular 870 was built for Rudy Ethchen while he was still shooting for Remington. Since this gun is in basically NIB condition, I have been struggling on a decision on whether or not to shoot this gun. I don't believe in owning something that you'll never use (just the farmer coming in out in me), so I have decided that this gun needs to be shot and enjoyed just as it was originally intended. This nice part is that I can make it fit me with just the simple addition of a pad adjuster and pad.

Has anyone else done something similar?

ec90t

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find it tough to own guns I will not use. I am not a collector in anyway. If this has collectability then it could be sold at current value and replaced with similar model that you can shoot until it wont shoot no more!

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Had a friend that bought one of Leo's BT-99's numbered 001..Drove Leo and himself almost nuts with the same question. "Should I or should I save it"? He figured it would lose value if he used it. Leo asked to see the gun so he could shoot it himself to break the value "curse". After much soul searching he finally shot it and enjoyed it for a long time.

Big Jack

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

If I liked the gun enough to buy it, i'd be shooting it. There's really no reason not to shoot it. Its apparently not unfired so if you keep it nice its not going to lose any value. Shoot it and enjoy it. I doubt its ever going to be a hot collector item and it might just as well be enjoyed.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

make it fit and shoot it. Maybe some of Rudy's skill will transfer by osmosis.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Why would you not want to at least try the tightest-shooting gun you will ever own? You might like it,might not. Wall-hangers are no more than that; shooters perform; what are a few hundred shots going to do to wear this gun out? Nothing.

Neil

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Thanks for the input guys! I have already started fitting a pad adjuster and a bit of a thicker pad to increase the LOP. I'll take it with me tomorrow and try it out a bit.

zzt,

If some of Rudy's magic would rub off on me it would be worth twice the price of admission. Lol!

Neil,

The gun is tight to the point of being anoying. A few rounds will help to loosen the gun up to an enjoyable level.

ec90t

8. slugger

slugger Member

I've got an 870 Comp and it is a tight shooter. Somewhere I read that this gun has a unique choke in it. The constriction is not at the end of the barrel like most guns, but is recessed back an inch or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.