1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Shoot in a League or Not.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Have been asked if I'll shoot in a Local League.15 sats. in a row starting this Sat. Haven't been shooting a year yet.Have broke my 1st 25 but was just wondering,I tend to be concerned with hurting the team I shoot for even though I've been ttold not to worry. They only count the best 10 or so shooters anyway.Just wondering what you'all think of League shoots.

Doug H.

2. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

go for it!

you will shoot better, being with better shooters.

you will learn, and your scores will improve.

have fun.

dave

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Have been asked if I'll shoot in a Local League.15 sats. in a row starting this Sat. Haven't been shooting a year yet.Have broke my 1st 25 but was just wondering,I tend to be concerned with hurting the team I shoot for even though I've been ttold not to worry. They only count the best 10 or so shooters anyway.Just wondering what you'all think of League shoots.

Doug H.

4. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

go for it!

you will shoot better, being with better shooters.

you will learn, and your scores will improve.

have fun.

dave

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

15? wow thats a long league. Where at?

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Shoot the league,

It is at a different level,

not full blown ATA competion,

yet above practice.

The team can be a great thing.

Some leagues have a handicap for new shooters, where a new shooter can really help a team

"Have been asked if I'll shoot in a Local League"

You have been asked! that means somebody see's you as a SHOOTER, that fits their need.

Go Have FUN!

Al

7. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Shoot the league. Frank Little once told me the best practice is competition. Some people have the tendency to shoot better when your shooting for something.

Dale

[​IMG]

8. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I really enjoy shooting league. I encourage you to give it a try! If you don't like it then next year you can say no thanks.

J.F.

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Shoot the league. Personally I don't like to be scored in anything. It loses the fun. But what else to do? Just practice for the rest of my life? No. So I shoot the leagues looking forward to the Prime Rib dinner at the end. Dave T.

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Doug

Shooting the Pen-Mar is a blast. One of the best leagues around. Be glad to have you aboard.

Rich in Indiana

PS Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang at OGC on Sat.

11. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I would say to give it a try. We have an industrial league at Maywood that shoots every other Sunday (on average). The gentlemen that I shoot with are a great bunch of guys. Everyone is helpful and encouraging to the other shooters. It is a good way to get out of the house and have some fun.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you come 1st place what do you win? HMB

13. superump

superump TS Member

My opinion SHOOT THE LEAGUE - The competition factor helps you to concentrate and shoot better. Its also fun and good friendships with your team mates - it will only make you better, just don't get down on yourself and enjoy it. 15 does seem long our club in the spring and summer shoots 12 and thats plenty. My team league scores are always a bird or two higher than my individual shoots and I love shooting with friends. ENJOY and GET ER DONE - Dale Brown

14. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Ed says he is not shooting, the god father of the lincoln moffia say it is to cold and he will not shoot, so the rest of his lieutenants won't shoot either, I say shoot, we are shooting on a league we two people who have never shot trap, they are sporting clays shooters, leagues are fun and just great to stay with your friends and people you enjoy being with, Shoot. Thanks Stan

15. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I am excited to shoot in my first league this winter. I liken it to golf. My golf really got better when I joined a league. Trap shooting like golf, requires practice and that is what league play is. Enjoy it, don't take it too seriously and have fun. By the way, by concentrating on the fun portion and learning, you will shoot much better.

Courtney

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,sounds like I'll give it a whirl.

To answer some of the questions,,,

Penmar League--15 Sats,however your allowed to miss 3 and still get the FREE babquet I believe at the end.
    See thread on Pemamar to see all info

Doug H.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Some of my fondest memories was my first year of league shooting. You will make new friends and have a great time. The back bone of every club are league shooters. You will meet new friends, have a good time, and help your local club. It's a win win situation, enjoy yourself.
    Steve Balistreri

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

League shooting is great fun. The gateway to registered shooting or just fine as it is. The heart of trapshooting, really.

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Every time you fire your gun is a learning experience. Who, beside you cares if it's practice, league, or registered birds. The only one you compete with is standing in your shoes. Know your potential and when you beat it, your a winner & your team members will pat you on the back. When you fall short, your turn to do the congratulating & better luck next time, try harder!

Big Jack

20. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

League shooting is great competition and a lot of fun. There is an article on the Lehigh Valley Trapshooter's League in the current issue of TrapshootingUSA magazine. Last year the Lehigh Valley League gave back $12,200 to the trophy and class winners that participated in the league.

The team competition came down to the last few shoots of the season, which made it exciting for all of the competitors. The Lehigh Valley Trapshooter's League just started it's 57th season in September and will continue through March. There is no better way to spend a Sunday shooting in the fall and winter months.

Indeed, participate in leagues whenever you can.

Play Dead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.