1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Scope or not to Scope

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

OK, I'm 57 years old and I think it's time to thin out the heard, so to speak, on some firearms I'm never gonna shoot or shoot again. Now the last time I made up a list to sell I looked at the list and went out and bought 3 more firearms that I "needed". The question here is many of the rifles are scoped. Would I be better off selling scoped or remove the scopes and sell them seperately? Two guns that come to mind are a Weatherby Fibermark in 223 with a 3-9 Leupold and a Sako Deluxe in 338 Winchester Magnum with a Ziess 4.5-14

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

With good quality optics I think you can do better selling separate. With cheap optics I would sell them with the gun. Looks like you have good stuff so I would sell separate. Everything depends on the buyer but many won't spring for good optics which is dumb but the way it is. There is a good market for quality optics sold alone. Let the mounts go with the gun and rings with the scope.

jim brown

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Sako with, Weatherby without

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Expensive optics put some guns out of reach for some people.

Cheap optics don't (or shouldn't) substantially raise the price of the gun. My personal opinion is that they really ought to be tossed in as an incentive.

Leupolds tend to sell pretty quick when reasonably priced (keeping in mind new prices) because they carry a lifetime warranty to the possessor.

As for letting the rings go with the scope, no. Especially dovetail rings. They are friction fit into the base, and this causes some wear. Whenever I get a gun with dovetail bases and no rings I junk the bases, because I've had them loosen too much with new rings, and then the new rings are friction fit to them, sometimes making them useless with new bases. (And yes, I do use anti-seize to prevent galling.) Let the rings go with the gun.

5. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I think you would be better off selling them seperately. It has worked for me in the past.

Oscar

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Sell your good scope separately NEVER on the rifle. You will make more money that way. Cheap scopes keep on the rifle. Rings take off the scope and sell. Leave the base on the rifle for looks and sale. That will not hurt you.

7. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Put a low price on them to sell quick. Sell to the first buyer and be done with it. Both packages sound like good set ups. I'd offer as they are, with loaded ammo, spent cases, dies, and reloading components if you have them. I'd ship only to an FFL or sell local. In my opinion, it's more of a pain in the ass to part things out, takes a lot longer, and you have to deal with more strangers making low offers. You'll probably be left with components that you'll end up giving away. You have to decide what's your time worth for just making a couple extra dollars? I might be interested in the .338 at the right price. I'm near Philadelphia.

8. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I'd set optional pricing for with or without. I've bought guns at auction where bidders focused on the rifle and overlooked the scope value. In two instances the scope was worth as much or more than the weapon. Almost felt like I was stealing when walking out the door with my new purchases.

Robert

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would sell the optics separately from the rifles. This way the potential buyer(s) can better appreciate the discount from new cost that you will probably be offering.

You may also want to just hang on the optics for what ever else may come into your safe. They don't cost anything to just sit there and even though you don't need another centerfire rifle now - you may get tempted later on.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sell optics seperately. Nice stuff. Makes for win-wins. I've "scored" on good deals on Leupold optics at gunshows when I talked private sellers into selling the scope seperately. They got more than they expected selling the rifle seperately and I saved a bundle.

11. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I have sold them both ways .... offer it this way with 2 prices - with & without scope.

Just keep in mind that there is usually quite a discount on used scoopes unless the warranty transfers. I know that I will not pay a premium for used
    optics ....

12. atanra

atanra Member

I also seperate scopes. Never seperate Sako rings from rifle . It makes buying a Sako a pain and some will pass because of rings. If you are witholding rings what else are you witholding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.