1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To resize or not to resize

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I've always resized my shells when reloading. A fellow trap shooter told me he never resizes. We both shoot only one gun. mine is an XT and his is a BT99. So the question is "resize or don't resize"?

Hawk,

2. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

I resize every hull 20`s and 12`s . Steel and brass hulls . Even the resized steel RGC`s won`t eject from my Ljutic . If you chose not to resize and if you have a problem , which you will eventually , you will go back to resizing every hull yourself . It`s not a big deal to do it and be somewhat sure there will be no problems on the line .

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

You do not need to resize if you consistantly shoot the same hull in the same gun. Where you run into trouble is when you reload hulls that had been fired in a different gun. I know from experience that this is a frustrating ordeal when 1/3 of your reloads won't fit in your gun. For several years I purchased new shells, shot them, reloaded them with a MEC 650, (no resizer), and shot them through my Model 12. Never a problem. But if there is a chance that these reloads will be used in a different gun; by all means resize them. Ed

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If resizing is a completely separate process and you use the same break-open action, I wouldn't resize, unless you found the gun to be particular as the Ljutic mentioned above.

I know that semi-autos can be more sensitive and need the retapering during the crimp process, but otherwise, I'd say no.

Jay

5. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I think it is a good habit to resize EVERYTHING THAT WAY YOU SHOUND NOT HAVE A PROBLEM

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

What dennis (nj) and duckeye said. Resizing is part of the process on most presses and requires little extra work or effort. It does eliminate potential problems and that makes it worthwhile. Who needs problems?

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I re-size every hull I reload. Why leave anything to chance by skipping a step? The last thing I want is to start having problems with my shells sticking or binding up in the chamber while I'm trying to concentrate on breaking targets. It is one of the few things I have control over to keep from becoming a problem so I take advantage of that....Just my preference....Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I might not resize my hulls if I could figure out how not to resize them with my PW press.

Pat Ireland

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Another time when all shells should be resized is if you are a dedicated scrounger or buy empties from any source. You have no idea what size chamber the hull was used in and they should be resized to ensure fitting in your gun; at least the first time you reload them. Here's my expertise on the subject. Daughter gives me a target box full of hulls for a birthday gift. I decide there's no reason to resize like others here and adjust the sizer die away. I end up with over 500 shells boxed up and ready to go when in the first time out, I'm finding at least 1/4 of them don't go into the chamber. Once I thought out the situation, I realized somewhere around 150 of those new shells won't chamber in my barrel when testing it in the barrel only (gun not assembled). So, I get to remove the dead primer punch and run those 150 or more shells through the MEC collet while loaded much to my considerable angst. Lesson learned? Resize all the shells IF you scrounge shells, buy empty shells, expect them to run through your auto-loader and so on. Now if you buy new shells and use them in just one gun, you could skip the sizer forever. Any other time, why disable it for some and not for others....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I resize on a super sizer AFTER I reload....and yes I know it says not to do this but it works the best for me.

Forrest

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you ever buy a good reloader, you will resize automatically.

12. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Well,
    I'm currently using a MEC 600 Jr (painfully slow). I was just given a MEC 650. The 650 does not resize the brass. I guess (if needed) I can resize on the 600 or buy a super sizer and resize during inspection of the hulls.

Hawk,

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hawk: Again as long as you use the "same" hulls in the "same" gun; resizing is not necessary. If you buy or are given hulls that were shot in another gun; then you have to resize them or you will be looking at possible problems. The 650 is a good reloader for the money, its just that it doesn't resize. Ed

14. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have resized every load except one time and that was around the first time I started reloading. I came to pass I was shooting some through my Mossburg and shortly there after I got my 870. Things were ok but when I got my 1100 things started to jam up. The Mossy and the 870 I can threw pretty much anything in them and they would shoot. But not the 1100. Lesson learned. Rich.(inPeoria, Az.)

15. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've got hulls that I bought on ebay, Bought from a few guys at the club and hulls I've scrounged & haven't resized any of them. Luckly I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on wood!!!

I currently use a 600 Jr. But, I think I'll be moving up to a 9000G pretty soon.

16. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Size.

Ric C.

17. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

one more time, buy a good reloader and sizing will not be an issue.

18. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If the hulls are brass based, you can usually get away without resizing them, but if they are steel resize them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.