1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TO RELEASE OR NOT TO RELEASE, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HotRodA10, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Hello everyone, I know this topic has probably been beat to death on this site but I respect the opinions offered here and I'd like to get your input. Let me start this topic by first stipulating that I'm a skeet shooter. I know that may be blastphemous on this site but there is a lot of experience here and I'd like to tap into it because I don't think my problem is relegated to only skeet.

I've been shooting skeet for quite some time and I'm trying to get to the next level. I consistently shoot in the mid-to-high 90's in all 4 gauges. I'll be cruising along shooting 50 straight or so, then I start missing birds. My main problem is I start to flinch (even with the .410) when I follow the incoming or crossing birds for bit. I'll either jerk the trigger or, when I go to pull the trigger, there is a brain-to-finger disconnect. My brain is telling my finger to pull but the finger doesn't cooperate (sorry....a brain transplant is not an option). 99% of the birds I miss are due to one of these issues. I've been told by fellow shooters a Release Trigger will cure this problem. If it turns out a release trigger would help, as my problem primarily occurs on singles, should I go with a release/pull trigger, or go full-boat with a double release? I'd like your input on this please. Thanks.

Rod

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Rod If your not flinching every shot just under certain circumstances then it is either a visual problem not related to recoil or a neurological problem relating to a wrong thought process. A release will help the gun go off and is smoother but it is a mask for the underlying problem which should be dealt with.

If your in the north east PM me I might be able to point you in the right direction.

3. releasebob

releasebob Member

I'm with Pat try the release/pull first it's pretty natural motion and the follow up shot usually has less time for the brain to interfere and cause a flinch.BOB

4. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Thanks for your offer GunFitter but I'm located in Vegas. If my problem is mental, what can I do to help over come this issue?

Rod

5. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Start with an eye exam. Get proper shooting glasses if you don't already. See a stock fitter if your not absolutely sure your gun fits. Lessons and a practice program. Todd Bender seems to have produced quite a few skeet Champions.

Learning how to focus or look at the targets is about 90+ % of all shooting!

Call me 609 231 6187 I might have an idea or two to try.

6. sixten38

sixten38 Member

The problem may be cross firing, and the eye issue may be intermittent. I would try the spot or tape on the non dominant eye prior to going release to see if in fact that is the issue. Need to address it before it becomes a full fledged flinch.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Not to start a big argument about releases since they do work! Most go to them for the wrong reasons. The eye issue intermittent or not is still an issue!

Contrary to popular belief there is no such thing as a dominate eye. It is a preferred image and a neurological issue of liberality.

Why would we obscure any of our precious vision? A dot is no different than an eye patch or closing ones outside eye.
    Joe goldberg

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Rod,

Most of us who have a flinching problem started just like you. Perhaps not with shooting skeet, but with the occasional unexplained failure to pull the trigger or perhaps a delay in pulling followed by a jerking of the trigger.

No offense intended to those who offer a cure or fix for the problem, but most of us who have a flinching problem have tried all those cures and fixes and none of them worked for any length of time and some of them not even for a short time.

Many people say that it's a visual problem. Others say that it's a mental problem, and still others say it's a recoil conditioned reflex problem. All I know is that when I switched to a release trigger, all of these so called problems that I had disappeared.

My advice is to switch to a DOUBLE RELEASE right off the bat. It will save you time, money, and the hassle of having to send your gun away TWICE. There is another name for a Release/Pull trigger gun in the hands of a person with a flinching problem. It's called a "Release/Flinch" gun. ;-)

BTW, I shoot sporting clays and occasionally skeet with my double release O/U. They are a lot more common than you may think.

Easystreet

9. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

It's funny, when I shoot 100 doubles, I rarely have this problem and my doubles scores are as good if not better than my normal round scores, go figure????

Another piece of info, I shoot with a JS Air Cushion stock so the felt recoil is not very much. I'm dumb founded???

Rod

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Flinching can run over into any type of trigger pull. I never knew I was flinching until I shot my bow with a trigger release mechanism. Total target fright. Could not lock onto the target with the sight without flinching, even without pulling the trigger. Totally freaked me out. My brother told me how he cured himself and it worked. Grip the forend or grip of the bow tightly, so the tension is in the other hand, not the trigger hand. Our brain is very complex, so I will just say it short circuits. Takes a while, but it does work. Release trigger is more reliable, there is no doubt. Jon

11. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Hotrod,

About a year ago I started to flinch. Mine was a left hand flinch where I was pulling the barrel off of the target. It did not seem to matter if I was shooting my Browning XT with a Gra-Coil on it or my KS-5 Special. I finally ended up having a release-pull put in my XT. I have never flinched with the release trigger since I had the work done in July. My only regret is that I did not go with a double release as I have and continue to flinch at times on the second shot when shooting doubles. Last week end I shot three rounds of Skeet with my auto loader and never flinched with it. It could be that I was trying to figure out the game and was not as relaxed as I am when I shoot trap. Until last week end I have only shoot two rounds of Skeet. Weither visual or mental I do not know, But I do know that so far the release trigger has worked well for me.

Jim Bradbury

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Rod: I agree with "Easystreet". I went with the release/pull and ended up sending the gun back for a release/release. This will save you time and $$. I had a difficult time adjusting to a release/release. (I shoot it for sporting clays). Shooting single targets, (trap), with the release was a piece of cake. Shooting the double release for sporting clays took me a long while to adjust. Now I don't give it a thought. It's just like using a pump action gun. After awhile you don't think about pumping the action; it just comes naturally. Good Luck. Ed

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ed,

I believe that it's easier to get used to a Double Release if you switch to it immediately from a pull trigger. I think that when a person spends time shooting a release/pull trigger that it takes longer to get accustomed to a Double Release.

When I switched to a Double Release, it took me only one afternoon to get used to it. You just have to tell yourself to immediately set the second trigger as soon as you feel the recoil from the first shot. After a short while, you just do it automatically...... kind of like pumping a pump shotgun as you said.

Easystreet

14. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

The Vietnam war was political bullshit. Cost the lives of many of my fellow soldiers and for what. I know i was there. I was 19 years old and enlisted to serve my country. Scared shitless i was also was sprayed on by tons of agent orange chemicals. But i did my duty for this country. 42 years later i still suffer from those chemicals not to mention the mental stress i went through in Vietnam. Its easy to start a war when your not in the foxhole. Don't start a war you can't win.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Earl,

I think those chemicals are affecting your reading again. I'm not seeing the link of your Vietnam story to the Release trigger subject here. Sometimes buddy i think your in your own World. LOL

I'm thinking you meant to post that on another thread. Just say'n...........

Indygrntitan

16. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

What the??????? Did I miss something here???

Rod

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My opinion is to go to double release, if you shoot an auto it is the same as a double release, more concentration, pointing your trigger finger is a voluntary reaction, same as pointing at the target, now try having your finger pointed at the target and curl your finger back on a trigger, that is an involuntary reaction. I rest my point.

Double release trigger shooter.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The Release will work. Somewhat. It is not a cure cure the problem. Fix your problems and then consider if a release will help you.
    Joe

19. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Rod, Please listen to Easystreet--He got it exactly right in my opinion....SMOKIT

20. HotRodA10

HotRodA10 Member

Okay, I think you guys may have talked me into a double release trigger. Now comes the million dollar question: What would a double release system cost me to purchase and have it installed? I saw one on here a short time ago and I believe the poster wanted $400.

Rod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.