1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To re-blue or not to re-blue, that's the ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

To re-blue or not to re-blue, that

I'm going to undertake the rebuilding of a BT-99 Plus Pigeon to some degree. I have to convert a release trigger back to pull and want to re-do the locking lug. Want to replace firing pin and springs. It's firing o.k. and not loose or opening up but, the thumb release is right there a 6:00. My adjustable rib seems to be o.k. and the recoil reducer assy. is working properly. Stock and adj.comb are in great shape for age of gun and the amount of rounds that have been through it.

I'm open for opinions on re-bluing. Bottom of receiver and trigger guard have heavy wear. Barrel and sides of the receiver are in great shape. How does re-blueing affect the small amount of gold color inlay on receiver now? Would it be best to re-blue the whole gun? Don't do it? Do what needs to be done? Just curious what you would do. The Plus Pigeon is a nice gun but is it worth the total rebuild in the long run? Thanks, Spank

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Re-blue will make it look ok, but don't expect to recover your cost.

First reason for re-bluing is when it's worn, that's what comes to every buyer's mind if you ever sell it. That's the price you pay when you decide to hold the gun at the most convenient way.

If you want to keep shooting the gun, do only what is needed, don't bother to re-blue it, it'll worn out again if you don't change the way you hold the gun.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

When you re-blue you will have to have the gold letterinr done over. It will not make it through the re-bluing process. Bulge.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would get it nickle plated- more durable- matt nickle blends into the background- no barrel checking

Its a zillion times more durable than blue

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

SPORTALLURING:

Spanky already stated the trigger has been modified. The only thing Browning in Arnold (MO.) will do is ship it back to the owner untouched.

sissy

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Spanky,

If you are planning on keeping the gun and shooting it for a while to come, I would have it nickeled (or some similar coating) like Gene suggested. It's a lot more durable and most find it an appealing finish.

Give a shout to Doug Braker (GunDr) and talk to him about it. He does a lot of this work and everyone seems to be very satisfied with the results.

Doug Braker

Doug's Gunsmith Shop

3929 8th St SW

Backus, MN 56435

218-947-3600

http://dougsgunsmithshop.com/

ss

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I use the above for ALL rebluing on the Perazzi's I work on.

They are, in my opinion, one of the best in the US.

The above post is correct about Browning. Aside from taking a long time to get it back, if you installed a release trigger, or in my case, an adjustable recoil pad, Browning will send it back. They will note that it has "been modified" and they will not work on it.

Whiz

8. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - I do not think if it has real gold on it that the bluing will have any effect upon that real gold - I have had Perazzi's blued and it did not bother the gold fillings - what are your experiences with this?? the beav

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

gold is inert- unless it falls out- nothing will stain it

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I would just do the mechanical work and shoot it. The blue wear you described will give it distinguished character.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Gold inlay is real gold.. and as stated.. inert.. many guns have a bronze powder.. that mixed with a lacquer is used to immitate gold inlay.. The heat of bluing destroys the bond..and it does indeed fall out.. As I know nothing about Brownings.. I can't speak for what you have..

I do however second Dougs work..and refinishing.. He's one of the few I really like.. For an older gun that you're keeping.. I'd look into the metaloy finish..It's hard as nails..and i doubt you'll ever destroy it..

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll give the gun Dr. a call. I talked with Art's and MGW and I do feel good about them also. I have no intentions to ship to Browning. Heard the same things about pre-existing modifications but, if they put all new parts in, I don't seee what their big deal is.

I don't have any plans on selling it. It's my father-in-laws (died) and want to get it back to pull trigger and reconditioned some for my use. It's just been setting around for awhile, I shoot my own BT-99 and thought it would be a good back-up or maybe a better choice as a primary. It is a nice grade of the BT-99, and I like all the adjustability of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reblue guns with gold inlay