1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To Port or not to Port

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Fellow Trap shooters,
    I am getting ready to send my singles gun to Ottsville for an "annual service". I am thinking about having them port the barrel while they have the gun. While I have no issues now with the recoil of the gun when shooting anything. I am thinking about a few years down the line as I get older. I am 51 now. Four years ago I had surgury on my shooting shoulder(The rotator was torn in three places). I have heard that porting will slightly reduce recoil and it helps keep the barrel down. My doubles gun has both barrels ported and a Gracoil. I enjoy shooting both of my guns and I can not tell the difference in recoil between the two. I am interested in what other shooters think of porting. Does it help? How will it effect the value of the gun if I decide to sell it later on? Value wise am I better to have the porting done at Krieghoff when they have it or have someone else do the work? What are your thoughts> Thanks for your opinions.

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I bought a gun ported but find no use for it other than blowing soot onto my glasses and sometimes into my eyes. I'm mid 60's, have RC injuries and don't think the porting will help any. Just my opinion....

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

" I enjoy shooting both of my guns and I can not tell the difference in recoil between the two."

That pretty much says it all. Porting will negatively affect the value, or at least narrow the market.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I am not against porting although I choose to shoot lighter loads to lighten recoil. It is certainly cheaper and I find I shoot better singles with 1 ounce loads. I still shoot ounce and an eighth for handicap. I always shot 1 ounce for doubles.

If you do port, opt for traditional "Seitz" style or actual "ProPort" Do not go for their pigeon style. I only suggest this because it is my contention that these are the most acceptable during resale. I would do either and yet do neither.

5. porky

porky TS Member

Porting does have a positive effect for preventing some barrel rise when shooting doubles. It can also somewhat reduce felt recoil. You will have to try a k-gun with porting before deciding. I have porting on my k-guns bottom barrel and am glad of it. I can see the difference even when I shot a k-gun trap special. The barrel rise was significant compared to my k-guns. If I were only worried about the re-sale value, then why shoot them. Just buy them and sell them.

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Noisy, dirty, of no value, an obtrusive molestation of a shotgun barrel, is how I describe and feel about porting.

Please for the love of God, don't booger up your K-gun. Your porting money would be better spent on powder like PB or 7625 to reduce felt recoil in your loads.

John E.

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

good for two shot games, worthless for anything else. Recoil not affected. Will lower the value of your gun.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My standard response:

Absolutely, positively, a waste of money (for shotguns, anyway.)

The much ballyhooed sales propaganda of drastically reduced recoil are bogus. Well regarded ballistics calculations show shotgun barrel porting can only reduce recoil by about 2 to 4 percent, at most. Well over 90% of shotgun recoil is due to the mass of the shot and wad, and only a little due to the mass of the burned gunpowder, now a gas, exiting the barrel.

Ports work by redirecting some of the gases laterally, instead of axially along the barrel centerline.

Rifles, on the other hand, have a much higher percentage of their recoil attributable to gases, and this is why porting is effective for rifles. Especially large case magnum cartridges which require a lot of powder. Try shooting a .338 mag, with, and without a muzzle brake, and you'll understand.

Shotgun porting, as long as the ports are on the top of the barrel, DOES reduce muzzle rise, and may tend to make the gun pattern to a lower POI. As far as I am concerned, this is the ONLY benefit of shotgun barrel porting, and even this is kind of dubious. How often do you need to get a second shot off with your singles gun?

Oh, and they DO make the gun louder and have been known to blow hot plastic wad chunks out the ports, too.

And it will likely lower the value of your gun.

Here's what is guaranteed to work to reduce recoil. Make your gun heavier. Use lighter loads. Get a recoil reduction device installed on your stock.

Your mileage may vary.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Downside:
    Limits number of buyers to those who will accept porting.
    Reduces resale value.
    Additional time required to clean ports.
    Gun report is louder.
    Possible for debris to be blown out the holes.

Upside:
    None. (Difference in recoil and muzzle rise is so small as to be imperceptible to most)

10. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Please, for the Love of God...Don't Destroy another Factory Barrel...If you Must ..please Buy one that's already Worthless on the Resale Market..Just my 2 Cents..Shoot Well..Shoot Often , Bart

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Generally a waste of time and money. You can make an argument for the under barrel for two shot games, but that is about it. Just make sure you get effective porting. Much of it is just worthless.

BTW, when I am in the market for a used gun, I don't look twice at anything that is ported. Been there, done that.

12. saintlawrence

saintlawrence Member

Porting a shotgun for use with conventional target shotshells - below 1300 fps. muzzle velocity - is an absolute, unmitigated waste of time and money and negatively affects the resale value of your gun.
    20 years ago I had the opportunity to be involved in testing shotgun porting for one of the major ammo companies who was working in conjunction with a military marksmanship unit. The test was to determine the effectiveness of porting in recoil and muzzle'flip' recovery for the second shot in International Trap. After exhaustive testing of both shells and porting patterns, the conclusion was that porting had no positive effect whatsoever on muzzle 'flip'. Just as in pistol shooting where 'compensators' on 45 ACP pistols were shown to be useless because the muzzle gas pressures were too low to affect any dampening, so is the situation with shotgun porting. Newer patterns of porting have been developed since that time but the laws of physics haven't changed and unless you are driving your shot payload well in excess of 1300 fps - as in closer to 1400 or 1500 fps. - you are achieving nothing. What you do 'gain' by portng is 1. wad and powder residue at the ports, 2. a louder report that is disturbing to your shooting companions, and 3. a significant reduction in the value of your gun - especially to me!

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot two guns with Porting. I see no value and they piss off my shooting buddies. I have a friend who has a Browning ported from factory ( 30 inch XT) and O my God. I cannot stand beside him because it sounds like dynamite going off

14. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

There should only be one hole in a barrel. The one that goes from the chamber to the muzzle.

Play Dead

15. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

More barrels have been ruined by porting than it will ever hope to help.

I've actually been hit on my arm by a piece of shot blown out of a ported barrel. I was hit hard enough for the piece of shot to stick into the skin and I had to pick it out.

To answer that proverbial question of 7 1/2 or 8's.....It looked like a deformed piece of #8 Has anyone else had this happen? I cannot be the only one.

If you have to do something to the barrel, consider getting the forcing cone lengthened and it will not devalue the gun. Once you port a barrel, You cannot go back

Don't ruin another perfectly good barrel by porting. Like Flabigpapa said "For the love of God.... don't destroy another Factory Barrel. Please, buy one that's already ruined.

The count at this point is about 14 to 1. Well over 90% against.

Mark

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When porting a barrel was first offered, it was the rage at the time. Over the years I have purchased barrels that the previous owner already had the porting done to the barrel. If the barrel is a good barrel, why devalue it? I have been on squads where some shooters felt the barrel was louder than a standard non ported barrel. If you have some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket, or if you know a gunsmith that is having a hard time making ends meet, have it done to help him and the economy. I am a very conservative, cheap sob, if the barrel is a smoke pole, leave the son b---- alone, enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have all my barrels ported but I do it just to piss off the guys next to me.
    I guess I am just a little passive aggressive that way. P.s lots of guys love ports so any talk about a gun being devalued is utter BS. It's a trap gun and as such will be purchased by a trapshooter for the going rate at the time. Ported or not.
    If you get lucky your ports may spit hot plastic on the guy next to you. This will almost assure he drops the next target. Ones less guy you will have to beat! PORT!!!!!! Jeff

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

The amusing thing is the "about-face" done by trapshooters on this subject!
    Youall went out and perforated a lot of perfectly good bbls. Now you can't give one away. Even the mfgrs got into the act. The bottom line is that you can probably buy the gun cheaper if it is ported. Noise a non-issue, everyone wears ear plugs, or certainly should.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap shooters with unported barrels have very small brains and are easily confused. Let it be known, porting is good. It increases your guns performance and increases its value. HMB

20. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Or you could light a match to about $500.00. Both with reduce recoil the same amount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.