1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To paraphrase Pete Seeger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    Where have all the GUNSMITHS gone?

There seems to be a dramatic shortage of smiths - particularly within 50 mile of my town. I just need a little spring help. Called three places that advertise gunsmith services. Nope. They're gone. I asked one if he could recommend anyone in the area. Nope. He also said they have all retired or died. Sheesh!

There's one guy west of me, John, that everyone likes and trusts. They probably have to. He's what's left.

Are other shooters having similar experiences? If not, good. Perhaps, instead of 4 years at a regular college, young people would be wise to prepare themselves for a business of their own. Would probably COST far less than college.

I'd surely be investigating the possibility of a gunsmith career if I wasn't already pushing the SS age.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    It can't be a real profitable trade at the hometown level. Sure there are lots of guns out there that need work but the majority of those are Walmart specials that don't justify spending shop rates on.

So that leaves the high end firearm repair and custom build markets which are pretty limited and you need an established reputation to really make a go of it. Not easy for the new guy to break into that market.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.