1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

To oil or lube?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pre-64, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pre-64

Pre-64 Banned User Banned

Giacomo - Perazzi suggests in their FAQs section on their site,
    "3) When lubricating my gun, should I use grease or oil?
    Please use oil instead of grease."

Krieghoff and Kolar recommend and supply grease with theirs?
    Why the difference?
    Is either better or worse in your experience?
    Thanks

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Use EP grease on the hinge pins and knuckle, light oil elsewhere.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

About a hundred sites already on Ts.com. Do a search. Lot's of information in them.

4. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

When it comes to lubricating metal on metal contact something is better than nothing. There are so many smoking mirrors and absolute BS when it comes to lubes it's a joke. It reminds me of the latest lipstick or wrinkle cream advertising. If one overdoes any petroleum based product it will eventually soak into the wood. I use to use STOS, STP and several others and found that Vaseline works as good as anything. It can be found almost in any store in the world in jars or small tubes. You can even find it in most diaper bags.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Lucas Oil Products X-Tra Heavy Duty Wheel Bearing Grease - 16 oz. tub lasts a long, long time. Would use motor oil if my Browning had an oil pump to keep splashing it on the moving surfaces.

6. Barry C. Roach

Oil just gets in the wood. I use grease for everything but my trigger sears.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Grease. Giocomo recommended oil since he was in the business of rebuilding them.

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Depends on whether you shoot 7.5's or 8's :) Hard to go wrong with any product made as gun lubricant. Personally I stock Remoil, Triflow in the bottle, the tubes of white grease that come with Perazzis, and Militec-1 oil and grease.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I thought the same as Claybrdr. Saw a nice, near new Perazzi galled at the knuckle, fellow had used oil, per Giacomo.

I always use a good grease or lube on receiver knuckle, forend iron, and barrel hinge area.

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Perazzi guns are shipped with a tube of white grease. I use grease for lubrication of the contact points. Oil is used to wipe the metal after use.

11. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Conventional wisdom says...if it turns, oil it, if it slides, grease it.

(especially the hinge contacting surfaces)

JMO

Larry

12. Barry C. Roach

Larry. Tell that to the wheel bearings on your car or truck or any other bearing for any purpose. You pack them in grease.

Additionally, you have the best of both worlds when you use a synthetic Food Grade grease like Super Lube or Viper Lube and it works in all heat/cold applications without viscosity change with the nice property that it doesn't stain the wood or your clothes. It's perfect for all bearing surfaces of a firearm.

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Oil or grease will work....

The most important thing about lubricating your gun is .. CLEANLINESS........wipe clean after each day or barrel change and apply new clean lubricant!!!!!

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What Barry said "Super Lube". Been using it for years. CMD Extreme Pressure Lube is great stuff also. I use these in my job. If they work good on a $500,000-$1,000,000 machine they are good enough for my guns. The CMD squeeze tube is a bit big to fit in your gun case though. Wipe down I like LPS and Kroil.

15. mark54

mark54 Member

Barry, the wheel bearings of truck trailers & steering axle bearings, all run in oil. Most drive axle bearings are lubed by oil from the rears. Trailer & steering axles have clear hub caps on them, so you can look & see the oil level, & a rubber cap in the center you can remove to add oil.

mark54 in lititz

16. rocktire

rocktire Member

Shoot a lot clean a little and lube when you clean with whatever you prefer. When you wear it out replace it. Perazzi video I have says use good quality grease if you dont clean very often, use good oil if you clean a lot. It also says less is better, don't overdo it, it will just collect more grit and grime.

Like asking if Ford or Chevy is better!

17. steve66

steve66 TS Member

For my under/ over, I use high temp Wheel Bearing grease for the hinge and pivot pins. This stuff sticks where you put it and a little goes a long way. I use a drip of gun oil on springs in the firing mechanism.

18. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Now I gotta lube the damn thing?

I just put about three oz of grease into my 870 chamber.

I tried to chamber a shell and it was quite difficult. Must be all the grease that is required to help everything work.

I got it to close and when it fired, it started a grass fire. The grease holds the flame very well. It looked like a flaming candle, out to the cow pasture.

The whole Fire Dept is here, all 3 trucks, and they are asking a lot of questions.

I think I will try oil next time.

How much oil do I need?

Kenny U

19. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I use STP.
    Wipe all parts with a rag and using either a small brush or Qtip I dab on some STP which
    is kept in a small squat bottle (I think it once held my wife's makeup cream). A little STP goes
    a long way as it really sticks to metal and does not migrate much at all.

I think it is more important to clean the metal parts that mate or have friction and add new
    lubricant before each shooting session.

However, if you keep your shotgun assembled and not broken down, then you may be able to get by with fewer lubrication applications.
    Art

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.